Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Shake up rumours

cheeno

? Detroit -- There's always a surprise departure in the NFL's hiring/firing season, as Indianapolis proved again last year in dismissing both Bill and Chris Polian from its front office on Jan. 2. The Lions will probably remain status quo with both head coach Jim Schwartz and general manager Martin Mayhew, but more than one league source told me to keep a wary eye on Detroit, where a change of some sort is possible.
Sources say tension has developed between Schwartz and Mayhew this season, with the Lions' penchant for taking chances on character-issue type players, and the effect on the locker room, at the root of the problem. In other words, which Lions decision-maker will get the blame for the Titus Young problem, and other similar rolls of the dice on the personnel front? Detroit has collected a few too many bad-boy types, and there might be a price to pay for the moves that have back-fired.
The Lions still owe Schwartz plenty of money on a recent contract extension, and Mayhew has earned respect for a lot of the work he has done in the post-Matt Millen era, so their issues might still be smoothed over and dealt with. But the situation bears watching for developments.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20121227/black-monday-nfl-coaches-2012/#ixzz2GMQ1dCy2

Read that article last night. I'm glad there is tension because one of them is losing bigtime on these gambles. Personally, i think this team should leave those types of guys alone and leave it to teams with a very solid foundation of order and players who are bonafide leaders. Dudes with the most talent on this team keep quiet (CJ) or need to mature a bit more (stafford). The loudest ones either are hurt (burleson, delmas) or are just plain overmatched every game (raiola).

Mayhew brings them in so its on him, you can't really blame Schwartz for not being able to polish a turd.

Mayhew brings them in so its on him, you can't really blame Schwartz for not being able to polish a turd.

I tend to agree. I'm not Schwartz fan either because of the dumb stuff he does, but some of the gambles Mayhew takes are ridiculous. He conducts business like he's trying to be the smartest guy in the room and see things that others just don't, and that's no recipe for success most times.

They really should skip on the soft dudes; the mentally fragile dudes. We need level headed guys that can hold steady until a decent team finally comes together. Kind of like Backus with more talent or raiola with talent.

You're a fool if you think Schwartz doesn't have a LOT if input on who is brought in. No NFL coach would be ok if it worked like that.

Mayhew may pull the trigger, but Schwartz loads the gun.

How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?

You're a fool if you think Schwartz doesn't have a LOT if input on who is brought in. No NFL coach would be ok if it worked like that.

The guy with the ultimate decision, the GM, goes down with the ship.

I don't think It's as much as you think. Ya they give their 2 cents and lobby for players (like suh) but you make it sound like Schwartz puts together a list of players and Mayhew goes and gets them. Mayhew has the final say so its on the him cause that's his job. But really who knows maybe Schwartz is telling Mayhew It's ok to take a character issue guy cause he feels he can change him.

It took 8 years to get Millen out of here. I just can't see Mayhew getting let go. And Schwartz with a new contract makes it unlikely.

It took 8 years to get Millen out of here. I just can't see Mayhew getting let go. And Schwartz with a new contract makes it unlikely.

ford is using obama bailout money....who cares how much he has to pay guys to leave!

Frankly I'm sick of seeing them trying to rebuild every 3-4 years, how are you ever supposed to build something if you are tearing it down and starting over again ever 3-4 years.? Having said that I do think some changes are in order. Gunthers D isn't getting pressure on QB's and it's got to change. Hated seeing Schwartz play for a long FG attempt on turkey day instead of going for the 1st down. That mind set has got to stop if we wish to ever see this team do something real. And for the love of gaawd no more high maintenance character guys! Draft smarter players that you can teach!

Don't act like you were ever on board. Biggest change I see is gun retiring and Schwartz taking over the d.

well i admit that hiring millens assistant was not my first choice. And his first year in FA and trades made gigantic strides. but it all went down hill from there. i havent liked most of his drafts, he hasnt done much of anything in FA and hasnt made an impactful trade since Houston. his brilliant trades nowadays consist of moving up for players the likes of whitehead, best, leshoure. a cheerleader, a guy with a mush brain, and a guy you split time with a undrafted guy from wayne state.

Last edited:
Frankly I'm sick of seeing them trying to rebuild every 3-4 years, how are you ever supposed to build something if you are tearing it down and starting over again ever 3-4 years.? Having said that I do think some changes are in order. Gunthers D isn't getting pressure on QB's and it's got to change. Hated seeing Schwartz play for a long FG attempt on turkey day instead of going for the 1st down. That mind set has got to stop if we wish to ever see this team do something real. And for the love of gaawd no more high maintenance character guys! Draft smarter players that you can teach!

werent we down 21-3 on 4th and short and he kicked a fg? lol dude were 4-11!!!!

werent we down 21-3 on 4th and short and he kicked a fg? lol dude were 4-11!!!!

Yeah that one to, I was more specially thinking about the drive in OT where it was 2nd and 11 and they ran it for little to no gain instead of continuing to pass it down the field which is what got them in FG range in the first place. then attempted the long FG on 3rd down! After week 1 Schwartz said we don't play for FG's!! I thought that was wonderful I had been waiting for that mindset for years, I really liked Schwartz after that, then suddenly weeks later we play for FG's again? that was a huge disappointment and I hope he doesn't do that again in 2013

Schwartz seems to like telling others their fen stupid, so hey Schwartz, giving up a down to attempt a long FG in OT was one of the stupidest fen things I've ever seen a coach do!

Last edited:
Back