Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stafford to Dallas?

I took a busman's holiday to Detroit last weekend and attended the Bears-Lions game.

I think he had to justify his trip to Detroit to the accounting department.

"He has been to the Pro Bowl and been a Pro Bowl MVP"

Well..that is his most impressive accomplishment to date...sadly.

This is what got me.

Stafford is also proven. Only four quarterbacks in history have had 5,000-yard passing seasons -- Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees ... and Stafford. He reached 20,000 career passing yards faster than Dan Marino, setting an NFL record in the process. He threw his 100th TD pass in his 55th game. Only Marino, Kurt Warner and Johnny Unitas got there quicker.

Yards mean dick in the NFL. They are like wins/losses for an MLB pitcher. What really matters is completion percentage, TD/INT, and leading your team in the playoffs.

Stafford is a check minus in those categories.

Yeah so?

I wasn't presenting an opinion that Stafford is great - just saying that maybe he isn't all dog shit as you seem to pontificate on all the time.

No one said he's dog shit. He's just not a very good starting NFL QB. Everyone outside of the media watches the highlights and sees this amazing arm that he has.

The people in this city have seen him play every day, and know what he really is.

No one said he's dog shit. He's just not a very good starting NFL QB. Everyone outside of the media watches the highlights and sees this amazing arm that he has.

The people in this city have seen him play every day, and know what he really is.

A player screwed by pressure and run support and some fluke turnovers.

This is what got me.

Stafford is also proven. Only four quarterbacks in history have had 5,000-yard passing seasons -- Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees ... and Stafford. He reached 20,000 career passing yards faster than Dan Marino, setting an NFL record in the process. He threw his 100th TD pass in his 55th game. Only Marino, Kurt Warner and Johnny Unitas got there quicker.

We all get he has thrown the ball a lot, that has never been debated, he throws a lot. He is also one of 4 QBs to throw for more than 4200 yards and 22 or less TDs, he's done it twice.

Look at his efficiency compared to other QBs. He is bad compared to his peers, but yards impress people for some reason.

When Marino threw for 5,000, there were only two others that even threw for 4,000, and Simms barely made that at 4,044. When Staff threw 5k, he was the third highest in the league that year, 10 threw for more than 4k. Even in that glorious year he was 13th in YPA. So again we get he throws the ball a lot. Good for him.

He throws because he moves the offense with little help. If he gets yards, it means first downs. if it takes him 2 or 3 tries to get that first down, it's usually the Oline or weapon messing up or the first try is short of the sticks.

Plus when we have no run game, we use short passes for a run game. It kills YPA.

Last edited:
He impresses people because everyone is enthralled with his arm, nothing else. They don't talk about his intangibles, or his intelligence, or his accuracy, or his mobility, or his ability to win against good teams. People LOVE the fact he throws it hard.

We all get he has thrown the ball a lot, that has never been debated, he throws a lot. He is also one of 4 QBs to throw for more than 4200 yards and 22 or less TDs, he's done it twice.

Look at his efficiency compared to other QBs. He is bad compared to his peers, but yards impress people for some reason.

When Marino threw for 5,000, there were only two others that even threw for 4,000, and Simms barely made that at 4,044. When Staff threw 5k, he was the third highest in the league that year, 10 threw for more than 4k. Even in that glorious year he was 13th in YPA. So again we get he throws the ball a lot. Good for him.

Same with what you said. We all get he isn't is as great as most of the elite QB's with those other statistics. I am not making that case at all. I made my point. Explain away the quickness to 100 TD's as a meaningless stat. That is some pretty good company there. Is he going to be Tom Brady - NOPE. Is he going to be Cade McNown? Not in a million years either.

Last edited:
I made that point earlier in a thread. Why have Lions fans been so quick to throw the past QBs under the bus and said "they suck," and yet the role has COMPLETELY flipped with Stafford and we do anything but throw him under the bus and cover up his deficiencies with excuse making.

Back