Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Team HR and SB facts

Rebbiv

1961 is the last season where 2 or more players hit 40 HR (Cash, Colavito)

Seasons since 1961 where 2 or more players hit at least 30 HRs
2012 (Cabrera, Fielder)
2009 (Cabrera, Granderson)
1999 (Palmer, Clark)
1993 (Fielder, Tettleton)
1992 (Fielder, Tettleton, Deer)
1991 (Fielder, Tettleton)
1987 (Nokes, Evans)
1962 (Cash, Colavito)
1961 (Cash, Colavito)

Seasons when 9 or more players hit at least 10 HRs
2004 (11 players)

Seasons since 1961 where 4 or less players hit a least 10 HRs (not including Strike years)
1989 (Heath, Whitaker, Lynn)
1976 (Thompson, Staub, Horton, Oglivie)
1975 (Freehan, Rodriguez, Roberts, Horton)

Seasons since 1961 where 4 or more players hit 24 or more HRs
2006 (Inge, Monroe, Ordonez, Thames)
1996 (Clark, Higginson, Nieves, Fielder)
1987 (Nokes, Trammell, Evans, Gibson)

Seasons when less than 2 players hit at least 24 HRs (not including strike years)
2011 (Cabrera)
2010 (Cabrera)
2005 (None)
2004 (Pena)
2003 (Young)
2002 (None)
2001 (None)
1990 (Fielder)
1989 (Whitaker)
1988 (None)
1982 (Parrish)
1980 (Parrish)
1979 (Kemp)
1977 (Thompson)
1976 (None)
1975 (Horton)
1974 (None)
1973 (None)
1972 (None)
1971 (Cash)
1970 (Northrup)
1964 (McAuliffe)

There is very strong evidence to suggest Cabrera will be the only one to hit 24 HRs or more in 2014.

Last time to hit 24 or more HRs in a season (including minors)
Cabrera (2013)
Kinsler (2011)
Hunter (2007)
Martinez (2007)
Avila (never)
Castellanos (never)
Davis (never)
Dirks (never)
Holaday (never)
Iglesias (never)
Jackson (never)
Kelly (never)
Lombardozzi (never)

No one in double digits in steals

1965-1973 is the winningest 9 years in Tiger?s history, not including current stretch (depends on this year).

Season with 2 or more with 20 stolen bases:
2007 (Granderson, Sheffield)
2001 (Macias, Higginson, Cedeno)
1997 (Easley, Hunter)
1987 (Trammell, Gibson)
1986 (Trammell, Gibson, Collins)
1979 (LeFlore, Whitaker)
1961 (Wood, Bruton)

So what you're saying is that we only have one person who hits lots of home runs and no one who can steal?

My mom just said duh..

Good info but the park plays a big role in that. Its hard to compare tiger stadium #s to Comerica

You can infer anything you want Mitch.

Not inferring anything. The tigers have little power and won't be top 10 in steals.That's straight from your post..without your post we, as a community, knew that.

You don't have much humor do you?

Mitch, nothing I posted referenced what the 2014 Tigers will be, you inferred it. It was just a historical listing of what the Tigers did over the years

Sad when over the hill Gary freaking Sheffield is one of the FEW Tigers to have had over 20 steals in the past 10 years.

Overrated stat. I don't care if they steal at all.

this. i want to be a better team on the basepaths (less stupid mistakes, better baserunning, more taking extra bases, etc), but i dont care for gaudy steal totals. steals are almost as overrated as saves imo.

Last edited:
I'm all for anything that puts a runner closer to home plate. Every steal puts a runner in scoring position. As long as we're not getting thrown out at a high percentage, it's a positive.

I'm all for anything that puts a runner closer to home plate. Every steal puts a runner in scoring position. As long as we're not getting thrown out at a high percentage, it's a positive.

It doesn't have to be a high % of CS. I forget the number but you need to steal at a high SB % for it to be positive. For example, it hurts when AJ steals.. he shouldn't even attempt stolen bases. Most overrated offensive stat.

I have to add that I rank it next to bunt when it comes to importance.

It doesn't have to be a high % of CS. I forget the number but you need to steal at a high SB % for it to be positive. For example, it hurts when AJ steals.. he shouldn't even attempt stolen bases. Most overrated offensive stat.

I had to google AJs stats to see your point, and I see that his percentage has fallen off the last couple of years. For the amount of speed he has, he should have a much higher success rate. His first two seasons (combined 49 SB against 11 CS) were solid enough, but in 2012 and 2013 (combined 20 SB against 13 CS), he's hurting us there.

Steals aren't a part of the game that I'd rely on, but I still think they can be effective, at least in certain situations. Ausmus seems like a smart guy, and he has my trust in that department. I wouldn't expect us to run wild this season, but we're better suited to steal the occasional base when the time calls for it than we have been in years past.

Getting caught is much more detrimental than stealing a base is positive. Some say you need a 75% success rate to break even.

I love speed, like Spock said - scoring from 2nd, extra base etc.

Edit: I read something 5-6 years ago, the Dodgers lead the league in SB at .91 a game. That's not much, but you get caught and it can really hurt.

Last edited:
Getting caught is much more detrimental than stealing a base is positive. Some say you need a 75% success rate to break even.

I love speed, like Spock said - scoring from 2nd, extra base etc.

Bobby Higginson was a very good baserunner in that way. I mean not by speed, but more with fundamentals.

Last edited:
Bobby Higginson was a very good baserunner in that way. I mean not by speed, but more with fundamentals.

91 SB, 53 CS. Maybe not as good as we remember :tup:

In any event, Higgy had some nice seasons with the bat.

91 SB, 53 CS. Maybe not as good as we remember :tup:

In any event, Higgy had some nice seasons with the bat.

LOL yeah, maybe not as good as I remembered. But the SB/CS ratio doesn't change the way I remember him for knowing when to stretch a single into a double, or a double into a triple. He was a very good baserunner.

Back