Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers looking at Choo for LF

Boston Red Sox only had 2 players hit more than 17 HR and none more than 30.

HRs are a counting stat. DET had 5 players with at least 600 PAs, 2 had 20 HR or more (Cabrera and Fielder). BOS had 4 players with at least 575 PAs, 2 had 20 HR or more (Napoli and Ortiz).

BOS vs DET by POS
C = 19 vs 16
1B = 26 vs 26
2B = 9 vs 10
3B = 20 vs 45
SS = 14 vs 12
LF = 18 vs 16
CF = 13 vs 17
RF = 20 vs 18
DH = 33 vs 13

Now HR as a rate.

2013 DET HR Away = 37.41 PA/HR (53.97 without Cabrera)

2013 BOS HR Away = 34.71 PA/HR (39.09 without Ortiz)

2013 AL AVG Away = 37.56 PA/HR

Now subject Fielder from DET and you will see the big picture.

Sign Napoli to play 1B now that Fielder is gone? Id be ok with that.

Napoli and Martinez could take turns spelling Avila. Whoever spells Avila, the other plays 1B. It doesn't really matter who DHs.

Napoli and Martinez could take turns spelling Avila. Whoever spells Avila, the other plays 1B. It doesn't really matter who DHs.

That could also save us from having to have Holaday on the 25-man roster, which makes me like it a lot.

Didn't DD just state this would allow more flexibility with NOT having 3 DH's on the team. Now you would like us to add another 1B/DH player? Napoli with his degenerating hip didn't catch all last season for a reason. Even with Boston needing a Catcher they are not looking at Napoli to fill that void. He can basically no longer catch because of the hip and is relegated to 1B/DH only.

So basically if we sign Napoli which will almost certainly take a 3 year deal UNLESS we don't resign Martinez next season we would be stuck with Miggy at 3rd Base for the next 3 years? Doesn't seem like that would be a smart signing for the club when they have concerns about Miggy's health over the long haul at 3rd.

All of the choices are pretty underwhelming as far as finding that final piece. I don't think it's in the cards.

Odds are against getting Napoli, Choo or Granderson. Their respective teams made Qualifying Offers. We would be giving up our 1st Round pick if we signed one of them.

Based on the state of our Minor Leagues, I would rather keep our 1st Round picks and sign someone that didn't require a 1st Round pick. This is why trading Scherzer is appealing to me.

Back