Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers @ Royals 8-12-15 Game #114

Yes, it was me that suggested JV become the closer, not just going to pen. And it wouldn't be a slap in the face. And it would only be for this year and maybe next, for him to recover arm strength, but still pitch.

I can objectively show that prior to this year, and excluding 2011, Avila has been an above average MLB catcher, taking both defense and offense into consideration. But most people see the batting average and make their mind up just on that stat alone. Let's just say I am not surprised they or you do it.

The average games started by the World Series winning starting catcher over the last 15 years is 117 games started. And in the last 20 years, less than 20% of the MLB catchers have started more than 121 games (75%) in a season. Less than 5% have started more than 135 games.

Yes, Avila has had issues with concussions. Is this his fault? It has limited his time on the field, but how many games different are we really talking about. He averaged 106 Games Started from 2012-204. I think the most he gets is 121 in a good year. So he missed about 15 games a year on average.

Avila should be limited to starting against RHP. We all agree on that. We all hopefully agree that he is easily a top 10 defensive catcher (game galling/pitch framing, etc), maybe even top 5.

2012-2014 MLB Catchers versus RHP (32 qualify with 600 PA)

Avila t6th in OBP

Avila t9th in wRC+

Avila 10th in wOBA

Avila 12th in OPS

Avila 12th in ISO

Avila 19th in BAVG

Again, limited to starting against RH starters and given his defense, Avila is an above average MLB catcher, probably even a top 10. But there is still those that are going to say he sucks just by looking at his BAVG. Got it.

I'm not anti Avila. I would actually be OK with them bringing him back next year as a platoon partner.

Back