Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. yankees ALDS Game 3 Thread Oct. 3

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers lineup :
Jackson CF
Santiago 2B
Young LF
Cabrera 1B
Martinez DH
Ordonez RF
Peralta SS
Avila C
Inge 3B
Verlander P

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=311003106&teams=new-york-yankees-vs-detroit-tigers
Tigers vs. yankees Game preview.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/6341/justin-verlander
Verlander vs. yankees.
from espn

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/batvspitch/_/id/4553/cc-sabathia
Tigers hitters vs. sabathia.
from espn

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_10_03_nyamlb_detmlb_1&mode=gameday&c_id=det
Gameday from mlb.com

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=311003106&teams=new-york-yankees-vs-detroit-tigers
Boxscore from espn

Tigers as a squad hit .287/.353/.433 against LH'ers. CC fares well against LHH but his OPS against is .050 points higher against righties.

Leyland says Benoit and Valverde are likely available if needed.

Avila down in the lineup because Leyland thinks he might be pressing a bit.

Leyland doesn't buy Valverde's "guarantee." Points out that Valverde said he was kidding. Says teams don't need bulletin board stuff .

Verlander's home winning pct. of .714 is third-highest since World War II among all starters with at least 75 decisions... Mulder, Guidry no.1-2.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Nice Santiago is playing second tonight... I like it...

DETROIT -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland has elected not to start the same lineup tonight that he used in Game 1 on Friday, despite another appearance from New York Yankees left-hander CC Sabathia.

Utility infielder Ramon Santiago will bat second in Game 3 and start at second base in place of Ryan Raburn, who started in Game 1.
Leyland mentioned Santiago's defense.

Magglio Ordonez, 3-for-7 this series, will bat sixth behind designated hitter Victor Martinez and shortstop Jhonny Peralta, who hit eighth Friday, will bat seventh.

Third baseman Brandon Inge, who typically plays against left-handed pitchers, will make his second start this series after Wilson Betemit started Game 2.

Mlive

Per Leyland, choice of Santiago wasn't the issue. He's hit .292 off CC. It was whether he'd replace Peralta (.059) or Raburn (.167).
Santiago in the No. 2 spot also gives the #Tigers option of bunting, which Magglio does not.
Leyland also moved Avila down in order, because he'd been struggling. Puts Venezuelans (Miggy, VMart, Maggs) back-to-back-to-back in lineup.
Leyland was asked about the run of countrymen in Tigers lineup: "Venezuelans like to stick together, guy. That's all I can tell you".

I like the lineup. Cringe is a bum but I think he gets a big hit tonight. Man am I excited about this game. I hate that it starts late.

Tigers Leyland about Yankees reaction to Valverde comment: "I doubt Derek Jeter is sitting around saying 'I'm going to get that guy.
Jose Valverde says his arm is "100 percent".

Wow, cc has a 1.01 era in his career on 3 days rest. Not good. On the other hand, I think his era in his last 4 outings in Detroit is something like 7.5.

jdbaker1 said:
Wow, cc has a 1.01 era in his career on 3 days rest. Not good. On the other hand, I think his era in his last 4 outings in Detroit is something like 7.5.

Good thing that he is going on two days rest.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]Nice Santiago is playing second tonight... I like it...

And hitting second, I like that even more.

I know what people think around here think about sacrificing, but I like having our best sac bunt/fly guy behind Ajax, not in front of him.

Maggs is hot, but I'm still happy to see him 6th and not 2nd or 3rd.

Hopefully Inge at least plays decent defense.

2 hours, 2 damn hours to go!!! Not sure I can take the wait any longer!!!!!! Would love to watch Verlander throw a no-hitter tonight. Getting greedy, I know. A dominating performance would be just as good.

tazmac said:
2 hours, 2 damn hours to go!!! Not sure I can take the wait any longer!!!!!! Would love to watch Verlander throw a no-hitter tonight. Getting greedy, I know. A dominating performance would be just as good.

I can understand that.

Myself? I don't care if JV throws a no hitter or gives up 8 runs....

As long as we are the ones that end up with a W.

The team that goes up 2 games to 1 is really in the drivers seat.

The "W" is the most important part. Just like the Lions, they played like crap and are still finding ways to win. I hope the Tigers jump on CC early and never let off the throttle and end up with double digit runs and over 20 hits. Not sure that would deflate the Yankees but it would pump up Detroit.

Just win baby....Time for all the whammy's to do the job of guiding the Tigers to a victory tonight... I am so jacked up I may not post much during the game.... Maybe some commercials... Going to the basement big screen tv and will be conjuring up all the luck and hits I can summon...

I can't believe it is still 1 hour and 20 minutes away. It is almost as bad as playing on the left coast. On another note, I would like to see the Rays beat the Rangers. Unfortunately, the Rangers just took a 2-1 lead.

I have to admit I'm a nervous wreck. Even though I know JV has the stuff to shut this lineup down. I think I'm just in shock with all this success lately. The Tigers' long winning streak and the Lions' miracle wins the last two weeks. I'm wondering when it is all going to hit the fan...

jdbaker1 said:
I can't believe it is still 1 hour and 20 minutes away. It is almost as bad as playing on the left coast. On another note, I would like to see the Rays beat the Rangers. Unfortunately, the Rangers just took a 2-1 lead.

I would rather take on the Rangers myself. The Ray's pitching is kind of scary.

I bash Inge with the best of em, but he is 3/5 this year against CC. So maybe it is a good spot start for him. He is 11/59 against him lifetime, but why split hairs.

Cabrera owns CC 9/16 with 2 home runs.

Back