Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trade rumors

I am not a proponent of trading for relief pitchers. There is no real value in them, especially middle relievers. And closers are highly overrated/overvalued. The difference between an elite closer and an average closer is really only 1-2 wins a year. So where does that leave middle relievers?

My concern is the lack of consistency on offense, and especially the lack of plate discipline/taking a freaking walk when needed. Two of the worst positions we have is LF and 2B at walk rate/plate discipline. I wouldn't mind dealing any combination of Dirks, Garcia or Infante. Now, in the right deal, if you can also get a relief pitcher, great. But I wouldn't have a relief pitcher as the "target" of the trade.

Who would you like them to bring in at LF and 2b and a middle reliever?

Who would you like them to bring in at LF and 2b and a middle reliever?

2B = Zobrist or Kipnis. Will cost more than DET will probably spend. Alternative. Maicer Izturis. Not a big name, so won't cost as much. Average offense, slightly above average defense. Infante and Altuve have the worst walk rates (followed by Keppinger, Barney and D. Murphy)

LF = Brett Gardner (or a healthy Curtis Granderson). Possibly an Alex Gordon. Worst option would be Raul Ibanez (no walk rate).

Working counts has its disadvantages. For one, there are certain guys on this team I would hate to see 2 strikes on. It ends badly. Secondly, Miggy can swing early and often for all I care the way he hits.

It's situational. Hitting is contagious and it can be advanageous to hop a ride on the first good pitch. But often times Tigers' hitters hack at pitch one outside the zone with runners on, even after the previous hitter drew a walk.

2B = Zobrist or Kipnis. Will cost more than DET will probably spend. Alternative. Maicer Izturis. Not a big name, so won't cost as much. Average offense, slightly above average defense. Infante and Altuve have the worst walk rates (followed by Keppinger, Barney and D. Murphy)

LF = Brett Gardner (or a healthy Curtis Granderson). Possibly an Alex Gordon. Worst option would be Raul Ibanez (no walk rate).

The Rays will not part with Zobrist. He was an allstar and the Rays are 1.5 out of first place. Same goes for Kipnis. Dont think the yanks will part with Gardner either. Wouldn't mind Alex Gordon though!

It's situational. Hitting is contagious and it can be advanageous to hop a ride on the first good pitch. But often times Tigers' hitters hack at pitch one outside the zone with runners on, even after the previous hitter drew a walk.

I agree about swinging at an outside pitch that is impossible to hit. Especially after the SP has been wild.

But its more open ended that "we don't work the counts" like Reb said.

Nothing irks me more than an 0-1 pitch right down the middle and the batter lets it go by.

Meanwhile, one might guess that the Tigers would be among the leading suitors for Veras, but Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (via Twitter) hears that the Detroit front office is split on him. Knobler's best guess is that the Tigers don't make a play for the reliever, but there are some within the organization that are fans.

this is per mlbtrade rumors. guess detroits looking at veras

Tigers continue to scout the Padres and still have interest in Gregerson, the team’s primary set-up man for closer Huston Street. Other possible San Diego targets include Dale Thayer and lefty Joe Thatcher.

The Padres, in return, want to acquire potential high-end starting pitchers, Morosi said.

I wonder what SP the Padres would want.

Meanwhile, one might guess that the Tigers would be among the leading suitors for Veras, but Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com (via Twitter) hears that the Detroit front office is split on him. Knobler's best guess is that the Tigers don't make a play for the reliever, but there are some within the organization that are fans.

this is per mlbtrade rumors. guess detroits looking at veras

Straight up for Dirks.

Tigers continue to scout the Padres and still have interest in Gregerson, the team?s primary set-up man for closer Huston Street. Other possible San Diego targets include Dale Thayer and lefty Joe Thatcher.

The Padres, in return, want to acquire potential high-end starting pitchers, Morosi said.

I wonder what SP the Padres would want.

Does Detroit have any potential high end SP?

that's what I mean. I don't know of any in the minors unless it is one of the very recent draft picks. DD does seem to draft 10-15 pitchers each year!

I have hope that Jake Thompson will be a a good player one day. Maybe he's one.

Nobody knew before last year that Smyly might be. You never know what you're going to get, projections are really just guesses.

True but if we did trade anyone most of would say, "no biggie". Because of now, outside Nick C. no one else is on the radar. At least that I know of.

Remember 2/3 years ago I wanted the Tigers to trade for Zobrist, and also Gardner, but several said Gardner's power was too low for a corner outfielder.

Back