Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Valverde caught throwing Spitball against Reds??

tbone413

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-b...8--mlb.html;_ylt=AqM0SpArWzPsF9fXpkNAXU4RvLYF

According to Yahoo.com, a Reds fan caught a video of what looks like Papa Grande spitting into his glove before throwing a pitch.

The video can be seen on YouTube : http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PSAdbWD85kg

I saw the video and it certainly looks like Valverde hawked a lougie onto the ball....whether or not that had any effect on the movement of the ball is debatable.

I personally think that it didn't. Yahoo says as much too with the below statement:

The pitch that Valverde unleashed and used to strike out Mesoraco was a four-seam fastball that came up and in. Pitchers have traditionally used spit — or even more effective agents like vaseline — to make the ball sink or drop. That wasn't the case here. No, as Alexandra Simon of Detroit Tigers Scorecard notes, it was the complete opposite of what should have happened with spit on the baseball. (Valverde is well known for throwing a split-fingered fastball, which makes you wonder why he passed on throwing that pitch if he did indeed spit on the ball.)

------------------

Edit: I added the video link

Last edited:
Do you think he should be suspended? Is video evidence from a fan enough to suspend a player??

I remember watching the game and thinking "did he just spit in his glove?". I doubt they will do anything but a warning.

He wont get suspended for a fan video, but they'll surely be watching him closer the rest of the year.

The pitcher shall not --
(a) (1) Bring his pitching hand in contact with his mouth or lips while in the 18 foot circle surrounding the pitching rubber. EXCEPTION: Provided it is agreed to by both managers, the umpire prior to the start of a game played in cold weather, may permit the pitcher to blow on his hand.
PENALTY: For violation of this part of this rule the umpires shall immediately call a ball. However, if the pitch is made and a batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a hit batsman or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation. Repeated offenders shall be subject to a fine by the league president.
(2) expectorate on the ball, either hand or his glove;
(3) rub the ball on his glove, person or clothing;
(4) apply a foreign substance of any kind to the ball;
(5) deface the ball in any manner; or
(6) deliver a ball altered in a manner prescribed by Rule 8.02(a)(2) through (5) or what is called the “shine” ball, “spit” ball, “mud” ball or “emery” ball. The pitcher is allowed to rub the ball between his bare hands.
PENALTY: For violation of any part of Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6)
(a) the pitcher shall be ejected immediately from the game and shall be suspended automatically. In National Association Leagues, the automatic suspension shall be for 10 games.
(b) If a play follows the violation called by the umpire, the manager of the team at bat may advise the plate umpire-in-chief that he elects to accept the play. Such election shall be made immediately at the end of the play. However, if the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batsman, or otherwise, and no other runner is put out before advancing at least one base, the play shall proceed without reference to the violation.
(c) Even though the team at bat elects to take the play, the violation shall be recognized and the penalties in subsection (a) will still be in effect.
(d) If the manager of the team at bat does not elect to accept the play, the umpire-inchief shall call an automatic ball and, if there are any runners on base, a balk.
(e) The umpire shall be sole judge on whether any portion of this rule has been violated.
Rules 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6) Comment: If a pitcher violates either Rule 8.02(a)(2) or 8.02(a)(3) and, in the judgment of the umpire, the pitcher did not intend, by his act, to alter the characteristics of a pitched ball, then the umpire may, in his discretion, warn the pitcher in lieu of applying the penalty set forth for violations of 8.02(a)(2) through 8.02(a)(6). If the pitcher persists in violating either of those Rules, however, the umpire should then apply the penalty.
Rule 8.02(a) Comment: If at any time the ball hits the rosin bag it is in play. In the case of rain or wet field, the umpire may instruct the pitcher to carry the rosin bag in his hip pocket. A pitcher may use the rosin bag for the purpose of applying rosin to his bare hand or hands. Neither the pitcher nor any other player shall dust the ball with the rosin bag; neither shall the pitcher nor any other player be permitted to apply rosin from the bag to his glove or dust any part of his uniform with the rosin bag.

My take...it doesn't matter now. The play is over with and the umpire or opposing manager did not intercede.

It's funny that this came up today. I was watching the game last night and I did NOT notice him spitting into his glove. But I was thinking, he's been struggling this year and he does all those crazy pre-pitch routines....touching the front and back of his hat a few times, reaching down into the dirt, etc. I started thinking I wouldn't put it past him to try and cheat. It reminds me of Gaylord Perry.

Last edited:
I remember watching the game and thinking "did he just spit in his glove?". I doubt they will do anything but a warning.

I saw it during the game as well. I was amazed that tv producers never went back to that moment.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. If he didn't throw a 95 mph fastball immediately after, it would be a different story though.

dont really care. the pitch didnt do what spitballs used to do anyways (it went up, they went down).

I thought it was just a wad of gum on the end of his tongue and then he just exhaled into his glove. His lips and cheeks didn't have the movement to be able to spit. Just my .02 cents

I remember seeing it. Didn't think nothing of it until now. Meh, who cares?

I thought it was just a wad of gum on the end of his tongue and then he just exhaled into his glove. His lips and cheeks didn't have the movement to be able to spit. Just my .02 cents

I thought the same thing, it was his gum.

I didn't bother to post it because I figured it's not worth arguing with someone whether it's gum or a loogie.

Though we're about to hear a shitload about Kenny Rogers in the '06 ALCS again because of it.

I thought the same thing, it was his gum.

I didn't bother to post it because I figured it's not worth arguing with someone whether it's gum or a loogie.

Though we're about to hear a shitload about Kenny Rogers in the '06 ALCS again because of it.

Yeah, makes sense, bring up something from the last century, what the hell, right?

I'm in agreement with Thumb and taz. There was certainly something on his tongue, but it looked more like gum than a loogie. Not to mention that you can't see any projectile leave his mouth when blows into his glove, so it's pretty inconclusive to me. Much ado about nothing...

Back