Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

What Does Bielema's Leaving Say About B1G?

jwlcosu

I'm seeing reports that that his exit is an indication and almost an admission that B1G can't compete with SEC. Hogwash, I say. What say you?

SEC has definitely had its run and it may have a few years to go. Alabama will be favored in NCG and it will be seven consecutive for SEC if they bring it home. That's pretty crazy and its why everyone reading this should be pulling for a Notre Dame win. In the matter at hand, Notre Dame is our Midwest brother so get on board, Michigan Man!

I've used the analogy before and its true; the college football pendulum is always swinging. Sometimes slowly, sometimes more quickly. Its true in the case of rivalries, a la OSU-Michigan, and it happens regionally.

Bielema leaving is not a big loss for the B1G. He's going to stink at Arkansas, in my opinion, and can be replaced at Wisconsin. The problem for Wisconsin is that they have to now compete against programs run by the likes Meyer, O'Brien, Hoke and Fitzgerald. Throw Kelly into that mix as well in South Bend. These are the guys that will cause the pendulum to swing.

The SEC has had its run but there is always something lurking, always something around the corner. That's the way it is.

Last edited:
Who cares really. Bielema is a douche and fits right in with the SEC. As long as Michigan's coach isn't bolting, I don't care.

One could easily make the argument that Urban left the all mighty SEC and only came back to football for a big ten school. These conversations are pointless. If Michigan was undefeated, we'd make it into a 4 team playoff.

"SEC has definitely had its run and it may have a few years to go. Alabama will be favored in NCG and it will be seven consecutive for SEC if they bring it home. That's pretty crazy and its why everyone reading this should be pulling for a Notre Dame win. In the matter at hand, Notre Dame is our Midwest brother so get on board, Michigan Man!"

Brian Kelly got a kid killed because of his and his coaching staff's insistence to put that kid in a severly dangerous situation. That family is without a son thanks to Notre Dame's coaching staff. I will never root for a group of people like that.

Last edited:
I think it says more about Wiscy than the B10. Wiscy won 3 B10 titles in a row not because they were great teams but because U of M is down thanks to our previous coach being an inept douche bag and OSU and the sweater vest getting busted for things we all knew were going on. With Hoke in place and Urban in at Ohio* Wiscy's run is over sooner rather than later. Not that he wont have issues being in the same division as Bama and LSU. But he will make a lot more money and will have a chance to not be overshadowed by his AD.

There is an article that blames the Big Ten for not paying assistants well despite the money the conference makes. i think that is misleading because that is up to the individual schools. Coaches can negotiate for higher pay for their assistants look what Hope has done I'm not sure what our assistanw are paid much less than SEC

I don't think you can blame the conference on this but it's a personal decision kind of like why did retried leave West Virginia

It's about the money, that is all. Arkansas is paying Bielema a lot of money. I don't think he is worth it, and that he will not be able to compete in the SEC wih the likes of Saban, Miles, and Sumlin, etc. Bielema may last three years at Arkansas and then become an analyst for ESPN.

Wisconsin has been good lately compared to their history, but historically, they are a bottom-dweller. Of the Big Ten teams, only Indiana has a worse all-time record.

Regarding the SEC...the rules have changed and the oversigning issue is fading. They may still have advantages, but the Big Ten has more money and some of the biggest fan bases and that should count for something. If Hoke can keep up the recruiting...we'll see what happens.

Stupid Maryland and Rutgers.

Probably poor phrasing on my part but seems to be the tone of this article. Rather than almost an admission, let's call it conjecture.

Article seems to make a some pretty speculative assumptions.

Smartest statement in the article - "coaches switch jobs all the time and are smart to stay one step ahead of the ax."

Article seems to make a some pretty speculative assumptions.

Smartest statement in the article - "coaches switch jobs all the time and are smart to stay one step ahead of the ax."

I agree.

stupid people with nothing to talk about like to stretch incidents like this one into broad generalizations. that's all this article is.

the only way to "prove" the Big Ten can't compete with the SEC is to line up and play football enough times and in enough places to rule out any margin of error, and any location-bias, and any off-field monkeybusiness. unlikely we will ever get a chance to see that.

I believe if you look at all time records, the Big Ten actually has an advantage versus the SEC. if you go a few years back, you may see a trend toward evening out, but that's about the only statement you could make that wouldn't be completely stupid and based on whole conjecture.

SEC has definitely had its run and it may have a few years to go. Alabama will be favored in NCG and it will be seven consecutive for SEC if they bring it home. That's pretty crazy and its why everyone reading this should be pulling for a Notre Dame win. In the matter at hand, Notre Dame is our Midwest brother so get on board, Michigan Man!

Notre Dame will never get my support in any game. Neither will Ohio State. Under any circumstances.

Notre Dame will never get my support in any game. Neither will Ohio State. Under any circumstances.

Not so with me. Have always been a conference guy in bowls and other non-conference match-ups. Have never particularly cared one way or the other about ND but am pulling hard for them to roll against the Tide. Uphill battle. Alabama is scary good but I remember 2002. That's the year that you, apparently, were disappointed to see Miami lose. Really?

Last edited:
The only thing this situation highlights is Bielema's interest in money.

Who fucking cares? Bielema is overrated and so is Arkansas.

What does the cheating under Tressel say abou the BigTen?? That a proud program like the one in Ohio will stoop to any level to try to be an SEC team (or at least beat one, for once and not vacate the win)...???

Last edited:
sort of off-topic, but since this thread is stupid already, I don't think anyone who matters would mind if I say I always thought Bielema looked like a fatter version of Ed Grimley.

edphoto.jpg

Without even trying and with zero intent, the extent to which I appear to annoy some of you is just remarkable. What would it be like if I made any effort, for crying out loud? If this applies to you, then by all means, move on. Ignore my threads, ignore my posts, find another board, do something. Trust me, it's not worth the aggravation.

Without even trying and with zero intent, the extent to which I appear to annoy some of you is just remarkable. What would it be like if I made any effort, for crying out loud? If this applies to you, then by all means, move on. Ignore my threads, ignore my posts, find another board, do something. Trust me, it's not worth the aggravation.

What do you mean? You called the article hogwash and this thread is a bunch of people agreeing with you. Maybe I missed something, but don't confuse annoyance with the message and the messenger.

I will assume the remark is aimed at me because I don't care "what this says about the BigTen" because it says nothing about the BigTen.

Not so with me. Have always been a conference guy in bowls and other non-conference match-ups. Have never particularly cared one way or the other about ND but am pulling hard for them to roll against the Tide. Uphill battle. Alabama is scary good but I remember 2002. That's the year that you, apparently, were disappointed to see Miami lose. Really?

I didn't care one way or another. I was more upset that Maurice Clarett was not turning in his homework.

Back