Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Worse than Appy State loss in 07?

So let's be clear losing to app St was a embarrassment but last night wasn't. At least the kids in the app St loss new what was at stake and played there asses off in the second half to try and get the win. ..heck Hoke did not even care if his team was shutout last night. ..last night was a complete and utter embarrassment. Freaking tired of any excuses I hear because last night I saw a team that was not prepared beat by 19 freshmen from nd... oh but we are still young. ..heck Hoke was better with rich rod guys .. shouldn't there be a concern?

Last edited:
Everybody has a hierarchy regarding M losses which makes them bad to each individual M fan; there's no right or wrong.

Me I have two categories - the worst ones, and all the rest.

This is based on my hope that, going into each season, I hope Michigan wins the national championship.

I saw it happen once.

Whether Michigan is ranked #1 going in, which hasn't happened for quite some time, or whether M is unranked, as was the case in Schembechler's best year in, 1985 - I'm hoping for a national championship. However "reasonable" or not the hope is - and it's pretty unreasonable regardless of where M is ranked, it's only happened once - that's my hope.

Now, 1997 was a unique year - M never lost nor tied (ties don't happen anymore, but M had a couple seasons with no losses but ties) - the only season ever since I've been watching.

So the worst losses in my hierarchy are the first loss of any season, because any reasonable hope of a national championship is pretty much gone; so App State is included in that one, but not for the reason that most view it.

OSU in 2006 is also one of those; the really weird thing about that one was that it's the only first loss that I can remember that there was still a reasonable hope that M could win the national championship; even when all was said and done and M didn't get its rematch, going into the Rose Bowl, there was still a slim but ridiculously slim hope that M could garner the AP crown.

Turns out both those two teams were over rated anyway.

Last night's is in that category too, although there's a 99% chance this team going to have more losses hung on it, based on what I saw last night.

Anyway, all the other losses - none is better nor worse; with the exception maybe of Purdue in Rich Rod's first season, as it "clinched" a losing season for the first time in my Michigan football fan life.

Last edited:
Person A, "This loss was worse than App State."

Person B, "No it wasn't."

Person A, "So you're ok with losing? You don't care about losing? You want UM to lose? You probably find homeless children, put them in Michigan clothing and kick them."

Person A, "This loss was worse than App State."

Person B, "No it wasn't."

Person A, "So you're ok with losing? You don't care about losing? You want UM to lose? You probably find homeless children, put them in Michigan clothing and kick them."

Yep.

To me, Appy State was just one of the 45 or so first losses of the season that pretty much put Michigan out of the national championship picture.

Big Ten championships ensued some years, Rose Bowl championships sometimes ensued and good seasons sometimes came along, but the only national championship came when we never lost.

And that's why Michigan's first loss in any season always stands out to me as worse than any other loss, regardless of what hopes, "expectations" or "aspirations" are (because I'm just a fan; I only have hopes; I don't have expectations or aspirations; those are for the powers that be, and the team itself) because once the first loss is recorded, there is very little chance (or no chance in my years) that this is going to be a national championship year.

Tinsel, that is pretty much spot on with my feelings, and probabaly why I hate ND so damn much, because for too many years that 1st loss has been to ND.

Back