Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Would you guys be for/against trading out of the 1st round?

you take things too literally sometimes. Your question is who can we get that is better. He was only better than like 9 qbs last year. That's pretty easy to find someone that can live up to those standards. And theyd be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Literally? Dude, it's a fkn message board. And my question was "who is/was the better option" since Stafford has become a Lion? Not "who is better"? Meaning draft, free agency or through trade. The answer is pretty much nobody....

Oh sorry, forgot that our drafts have been so damn successful, they can't DARE use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a potential future QB. Nah, just let Stafford sit on his throne and not have to worry about anything.

Pffffffffft......lmfao. Ok!!

So, let's say you draft a QB in the 2nd/3rd round. Let's take an even bigger leap and say the Lions draft a QB that is better than Stafford by his 2nd year. You're either going to have Stafford on the bench with a cap hit of 20+ million or you're going to cut him and have 11+ million in dead money.

It just doesn't seem feasible to me to draft a QB high this season. You'd have to be pretty damn certain that the guy you're taking is "The One". I just don't see it.

And this board would dump all over a move like that. Deservedly so though. It makes no sense RIGHT NOW to draft a QB when we just lost a 4th and a 5th. And the money part is even bigger. And does someone want to tell me who the successor is after Winston and Mariota are gone? Because the QB class is weak as fuck

Nothing wrong with grooming aday 2 or 3 guy to compete in 2 or 3 years. If stafford continues with his top 23 play you just d9nt extend him....anyone can be a top 23 qb.

I wouldnt do it this year personally....neither will the sissy cats. Knowing mayhew he'll extend him even if he regresses further.

You motherfuckers are hilarious. lol. You rip on this organizstion time and time again saying you have no faith in anything they do. Yet, you're ok with taking a QB in a weak QB class btw on day 2 or 3 HOPING they can "groom" him? lol. I have officially heard it all now. I'm not sure you can top yourself on this one, buddy

Ill defend my statement ....i did say if he continues to be ranked 23rd in the nfl. And yes i think you can find a qb in any rd of any draft that can be that shitty. And they shouldnt be worth 100 mil. Drew stanton could be a 23rd ranked qb.

You're lost, bro. Now you're comparing Stafford to Stanton and any scrub rookie QB in the draft. You're a lost cause and you're never coming back. Wow...

Theres so much blame to go around that caldwell seems to get none. But what the fuck does that guy do? Lombardi fucked up the offense, stafford fucked up running the offense.....caldwell did nothing to fix it. Some offensive guru he is. I have a feeling baltimore is quietly chuckling under their breaths that hes gone.

Who the hell called Caldwell an offensive guru? He's good with QBs and Stafford improved in a lot of areas. Showed maturity, made 4-5 game winning drives last year, cut down on his INTS, hired a fkn genius as a DC, took this team to 11-5 in his FIRST YEAR as HC. What did he do?? Open your fkn eyes for fuck sakes. Better things are coming....

Last edited:
We aren't a legitamite Super Bowl team with what we have now. Sometimes you just need to roll the dice.

We got a good number of breaks last year (7 road games, easy schedule, dumb coaching calls by other teams, fortunate penalty giving us another kick and a win) we ended as a 6 seed.

We know in 2015 we only have 7 road games, but those other breaks may not surface. We need to find a way to elevate the QB or have another option in 2016.

Your idea of rolling the dice is to draft a QB that isn't better than Stafford or eill ever be close to being ready to play in the NFL in the next 2-3 years? Ya know, since we're not a legitmate SB contender!! smfh ...lol. Because we don't have any holes right? We couldn't use a RB, a CB, a DT or sn OL in that spot? Lets pick a QB and watch him rot on the sidelines for the next couple of years until we release his ass!! Do you think a clone of Aaron Rodgers is available and you're not telling us? Come the fuck on lol

Your idea of rolling the dice is to draft a QB that isn't better than Stafford or eill ever be close to being ready to play in the NFL in the next 2-3 years? Ya know, since we're not a legitmate SB contender!! smfh ...lol. Because we don't have any holes right? We couldn't use a RB, a CB, a DT or sn OL in that spot? Lets pick a QB and watch him rot on the sidelines for the next couple of years until we release his ass!! Do you think a clone of Aaron Rodgers is available and you're not telling us? Come the fuck on lol

Ok Bro. What second and 3rd rounders are for sure year one starters?

How come we didn't pull any last year. Did we not have any holes we could afford to draft a center to groom in Swanson?

We don't need an Rodgers clone, we aren't going to find that. But even if we can find someone like Tannehill we would be better off.

Even if we could find a cheaper version of Stafford it would benefit this team. We have the 20th ranked QB the last three years. That means 66% of the league found someone better.
Unless you believe the "poor Stafford" BS. Aww he gets no help.

Total crap. His weapons are open just as much as any other QBs. He just misses the window, or misses the throw. But hey he can hit that rocked throw over the middle with a clean lane because he has that rocket arm. Sweet let's pay the guy because he can make 1 throw a game that most can't. Who cares he can't make the touch throws that most others can make. We will just hope for pass interference calls on those. Great plan.

Go mediocre.

I'm just going by scouting reports. I didn't watch any Colorado State games. Grayson sounds like an interesting prospect.

Hundley I only saw the game against USC, it appears that may of been one of his better games.

What don't you like about them?

So if you get to the 3rd round, and you can draft someone like Hundley (who've I seen play a fair amount and looks to be a damn good QB), why not take a shot? What's the difference, Mayhew's 2nd and 3rd rounders for the most part aren't even on the team anymore. He's got a great arm and he's hella mobile.

Last edited:
Or we could watch the Lions draft guys like Best, Young, Spivey, Leshore, Broyles, Bentley... and watch them star??

I'd much rather see a guy like Hundley on the sidelines for a year or two challenging Stafford's cushy seat, with an opportunity to be a future QB as opposed to the majority of the 2nd/3rd round picks that aren't even on the team anymore.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why it's okay to accept that Stafford is just a decent QB? You can't have success without a top QB. The cases of Trent Dilfer are basically once in a blue moon. You need the Rodgers, Brees, Rothlisberger, Brady, Manning types to achieve greatness. This guy doesn't have it. So what is the harm in using a 3rd rounder on someone who may be better in a couple years?

And if he ends up being a strong backup, that's just fine. Better than drafting someone (cough, 2010, 2011), who won't be here anymore.

Last edited:
Hundley and Grayson and Petty can't hold Stafford's jock.

Stafford is a good QB. The tape doesn't lie.

Fair comparison. Kids who haven't been on the practice field vs a 6 year VETERAN (which Stafford is).

Last edited:
Back