Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Would you guys be for/against trading out of the 1st round?

2014 season, Stafford proved to me he can be that QB that can win the SB. He won many games this year with his arm and moxy. We just need to build it around him but it is going to be hard to do in 2015 and every pick will have to contribute.

Stafford is a top 5 QB based on game tape. They probably wouldn't even beat out Dan O.

Top 5 on Lions? I agree.
Top 5 in NFC north? Yea he makes the cut.
But after that it becomes untrue.

2014 season, Stafford proved to me he can be that QB that can win the SB. He won many games this year with his arm and moxy. We just need to build it around him but it is going to be hard to do in 2015 and every pick will have to contribute.

That, and with the limited amount of production we got from the 2014 class, it's like we'll have 2 drafts that will contribute for the 1st time in 2015.

That's not necessarily a good thing, but if the top 4 picks from both classes find a role and succeed in it, this team could take off in 2015.

Ebron, Van Noy, Swanson, Lawson, Webster (who they were raving about toward the end of 2014) Caraun Reid and TJ Jones....PLUS the 2015 class. Could be a huge boost.

Could be a bust.

Guess we'll see.

I'm just going by scouting reports. I didn't watch any Colorado State games. Grayson sounds like an interesting prospect.

Hundley I only saw the game against USC, it appears that may of been one of his better games.

What don't you like about them?

Hundley ran an extremely simple offense, exclusively from the shotgun. His biggest flaw from the games I saw was hitting his targets in stride (something we've all chastised Stafford for many times). He does have the physical tools of an NFL starter, not out of the realm of possibility that he does well if he gets a shot. Kind of reminds me of Randall Cunningham.

Grayson has the touch that I mentioned Hundley lacks. However he is known to have atrocious throwing mechanics. Very slow delivery. Also doesn't possess great arm strength.

I'm no scout but I watch more college football than any other sport. I've seen both of them play. Put a gun to my head and I choose Hundley because I feel he has a much higher ceiling. But I can tell you right now that there will be a significant drop off from Stafford for at least 2-3 years...probably forever.

But it's all just talk among fans anyways. Mayhew would never, ever have the balls to pull a 2nd/3rd with his starter still on a contract with 50+ million over 3 years still on the books. It's really a completely hypothetical argument.

Definitely a troll..

Regardless we win 5 games, 15 games or win the SB, Matt Stafford is not good.

Hundley ran an extremely simple offense, exclusively from the shotgun. His biggest flaw from the games I saw was hitting his targets in stride (something we've all chastised Stafford for many times). He does have the physical tools of an NFL starter, not out of the realm of possibility that he does well if he gets a shot. Kind of reminds me of Randall Cunningham.

Grayson has the touch that I mentioned Hundley lacks. However he is known to have atrocious throwing mechanics. Very slow delivery. Also doesn't possess great arm strength.

I'm no scout but I watch more college football than any other sport. I've seen both of them play. Put a gun to my head and I choose Hundley because I feel he has a much higher ceiling. But I can tell you right now that there will be a significant drop off from Stafford for at least 2-3 years...probably forever.

But it's all just talk among fans anyways. Mayhew would never, ever have the balls to pull a 2nd/3rd with his starter still on a contract with 50+ million over 3 years still on the books. It's really a completely hypothetical argument.

Hitting guys in stride is key in the NFL. If you don't hit them in stride they are no longer open. However shotgun isn't as big deal of a deal in my mind, don't remember seeing stats from 2014, but I remember in 2013 Stafford threw from shotgun over 85% of the time.

I'm not a huge college guy. But Hundley was impressive vs USC I thought. But that is only one game. Hell Stafford looked like a top 3 QB in the 1st game of the season vs the Giants. So one game is not enough to fairly judge anyone.

Just think we need someone to push Stafford, make him a bit uncomfortable. I don't know if it is his focus, his preparation, or maybe he just has hit his ceiling, but his flaws from day one are still the ones that are present. With DanO behind him, there is no way you can not feel secure in your job even if you are 20th ranked QB.

But you're probably right about Mayhew.

Last edited:

Stafford ran an extrememly simple offense....and then they had to "dumb it down" even further. CJ runs a 7 yard slant, Ebron on a 1.5 yard speed out, Tate just turns around, back out of the backfield....rinse...repeat. Sometimes when they wanted to get real crazy CJ would run an 11 yard slant.

Totally agree mayhew doesn't have the balls to make a change regardless....he made his bed with Stafford. Then does what he always does.....guy has one good year and he locks him in for a lifetime. Brilliant strategy.....totally worked for Schwartz. Stafford looking about the same...

Last edited:
Just think we need someone to push Stafford, make him a bit uncomfortable.

Couldn't agree more. I would have wanted them to do that with a free agent and not a high draft pick. However, that ship has sailed. Unless there is a free agent still out there, haven't bothered to look but I assumed anyone worth their salt is gone.

Stafford would implode, imo. A guy that could actually push Stafford for his job, would be the best move the Lions have made in recent memory. It would force him to reach the next level or lose his job to an equivalent, young guy. Just my .05

Last edited:
Definitely a troll..
What? I'm just saying he did a good job last year as I was pretty hard on him last off-season. I think it is only fair to point out what he did do and that was play well in 2014, winning at.least 3 games on final drives... you know the stuff that Brady does.

What? I'm just saying he did a good job last year as I was pretty hard on him last off-season. I think it is only fair to point out what he did do and that was play well in 2014, winning at.least 3 games on final drives... you know the stuff that Brady does.

Then you're not trolling? Oh..

Well then..the guy was terrible just like 2012-2013. Nice 3 year streak he has..The defense won games. Just because he had a possession at games end that got us in scoring position doesn't mean he did well for us..

The first 55 minutes count too..

Then you're not trolling? Oh..

Well then..the guy was terrible just like 2012-2013. Nice 3 year streak he has..The defense won games. Just because he had a possession at games end that got us in scoring position doesn't mean he did well for us..

The first 55 minutes count too..
I go all the way back to the beginning of the espn boards Mitchrapp and Kaline (Ron) can vouch for that. Statistically he was not great but he played very smart for the year and I acknowledged it because I was pretty hard on him prior to 2014 season. I have no issue with him going into this year. He should put up better numbers but I could care less as long as he leads this team like he did last year. He really did steal some games and he did not lose that playoff game, the coaching staff did... in my humble opinion.

I go all the way back to the beginning of the espn boards Mitchrapp and Kaline (Ron) can vouch for that. Statistically he was not great but he played very smart for the year and I acknowledged it because I was pretty hard on him prior to 2014 season. I have no issue with him going into this year. He should put up better numbers but I could care less as long as he leads this team like he did last year. He really did steal some games and he did not lose that playoff game, the coaching staff did... in my humble opinion.

Fine line between "stealing a game" and finally throwing a TD or two when your defense has kept you in the game for 3.5 quarters.

We all have opinions, I'm not sure I'd call it playing smart more like a dumb down system..And completion % was still bad compared to the rest of the NFL. I didn't see him play smart at all last season. Less INT but less throws and quite a bit more short throws..

And just so we have an understanding..I think you're a valuable part of DSF.

Not that I think Jdeb needs anyone to "vouch for him" but I will anyway. He's not a troll. He's a lot like me. Not a hater, not a homer... just calls it like he sees it. Has ever since I've known him which, if memory serves, is early to mid 2000's on the ESPN boards.

I started arguing there during the 2001 draft and it seems like if he wasn't around in those days, he was there shortly after.

He's not a troll.

Back