Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Yu Darvish?

Mitchrapp

Northern Michigan Wildcats
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
You think the Tigers would bid for this guy?

no, and they shouldnt. i fucking hate the posting system. millions of dollars just to talk to the guy and you're not even guaranteed to sign him? its bullshit.

I don't know considering everything I have heard it could possibly take in excess of 40 million just to BID on him not to mention your then looking at being able to sign him on top of that. When its all said and done your looking at a ballpark of 100 million plus which I don't see the Tigers doing. Especially given the fact you don't wanna disrespect the deal we gave Verlander (5 Years 80 Million) by going out and investing in a unproven MLB pitcher more then what you invested in the best pitcher in baseball.

Just my opinion though.

Spockmaster said:
no, and they shouldnt. i fucking hate the posting system. millions of dollars just to talk to the guy and you're not even guaranteed to sign him? its bullshit.

I agree about the posting system, I was just curious. Sometimes you bid 20m more than anyone else. You never know. So who gets the posting money, japan govt, player, japan team etc?

Spockmaster said:

this ^

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
Spockmaster said:

I agree about the posting system, I was just curious. Sometimes you bid 20m more than anyone else. You never know. So who gets the posting money, japan govt, player, japan team etc?

The team does.

And by the way according to Jason Beck Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski said this week he will not be bidding on Darvish.

The posting system is a little broken, but there's no reason we shouldn't at least submit a bid. Remember, the bid is only paid if the player gets signed. If we bid 40 million, and the kid expects another 60 million contract, we can just say no and walk away, no money spent.

If the kid is even close to as good as he is touted, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try. Bid 20-30 million, then try to get a contract done for about the same. Beurhle just got 58 over 4 years. He's not even an ace. Same with Wilson (5 years, 80 million). If we could get the whole deal with Darvish done for similar years, it's probably worth it. Darvish has ace stuff, and he's young. He doesn't have a lack of command or shaky mound presence like Daisuke, and how many times are we going to get the chance to land an ace?

Darvish will cost more than the 6 yrs. 52 required to sign Daisuke.

Whichever team signs him will invest over 80 million, likely even 100 million in him when all his said and done.

My point is that it doesn't hurt to try. Like I said, no money is lost if he doesn't sign. Heck, we could literally submit an outrageous bid just to keep other teams from getting him (many thought this is why Boston offered so much for Daisuke). And I agree with Mitch here. Why is it totally cool to throw a bunch of money at an unproven (and of suspect age) hitter but not a pitcher?

Last I checked, we are top 4 in offense, and worse than middle of the pack in ERA.

I agree we need hitters first I was just curious. I just want them to spend some serious money :)

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I agree we need hitters first I was just curious. I just want them to spend some serious money :)

shoulda sold little caesars and went and got Reyes, Wilson, Cuban guy, and Pujols to play DH for the next 10 years. Spend it alllll man....your going to die soon!!!!

Someone could just offer a shot load then offer a bad contract so the player turns down the offer. He goes back to Japan, team gets posting money back. I guess to make sure no one else gets him.

But my guess is 64.2m is the winning bid. Texas.

Back