Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 12: Lions @ Ravens Thread

They would have to look terrible in at least 2 more games for Caldwell to be fired. There is enough Oline and Stafford ankle now hand injury to justify the close losses to the Falcons, Panthers, Vikings and Steelers. Saints and Ravens they had a shot in both games but then faltered at end with turnovers.

And the slow start would have been 3-3 probably not 10-0 if Prater made that damn kick. Then a strip sack is just someone getting beat badly for a short field for 17-0. Bad Martin punt and Decker hold gave Ravens chance for FG at end of first half for 20-0 lead.

Lions adjusted well and did really well in 3rd and early 4th Quarter to get back in it. Then a kickoff return killed them and a Stafford pick under pressure

Unfortunately, the author of the above throws out "what if's" too.

Caldwell losing his job after signing an extension this summer is wishful thinking.

The extension is absolutely meaningless in getting fired or not. Fisher was fired literally like a week after he signed his.

Not sure if gets any better next year, this year might’ve been their best chance (as currently constructed).

The division will be tough next year, Minnesota looks to be the real deal, GB will have a healthy Rodgers, and Chicago should be better (tough at home already). Besides that, they get the AFC East (mediocre outside NE), NFC West (LA/Seattle tough, also Arizona with DJ and maybe Palmer), and looking to be Dallas (Zeke back) and either Atlanta/Carolina. The schedule won’t be as easy again.

Not sure where the improvements will be. The offensive skill positions are known commodities (except Golladay), a healthy and upgraded O-line would be a boost though. Defense is a bit of a mess right now, D-line needs a lot of work, they’ll likely have holes to fill starter-wise. The draft can only do so much, they might need to make a splash or two in FA.

Poor draft pick retention is really going to hurt this team, can’t have one or two guys left from 13/14/15 drafts and expect to have a young solid core to build around.

IMO, I think a coaching staff change would be the biggest boost, but we’ll see if Martha is willing to can Caldwell and co.

Last edited:
The extension is absolutely meaningless in getting fired or not. Fisher was fired literally like a week after he signed his.

Do you think the Lions would do that? I certainly don't. He gets at least another year before he's fired...unless some red hot coaching candidate pops up on the radar and is just chomping at the bit to coach the Honolulu blue and silver.

I hope I'm wrong and he is fired. I know we have to keep looking for the next guy but switching GM's, coaches, coordinators, etc has still yet to turn us into anything resembling a long term success.

Do you think the Lions would do that? I certainly don't. He gets at least another year before he's fired...unless some red hot coaching candidate pops up on the radar and is just chomping at the bit to coach the Honolulu blue and silver.

I hope I'm wrong and he is fired. I know we have to keep looking for the next guy but switching GM's, coaches, coordinators, etc has still yet to turn us into anything resembling a long term success.

My humble opinion is that he was asked to keep Caldwell, and that came from the top. That's why Martha always talked about how much she loves Caldwell. But now, I think Quinn has some pull in pointing to the on-field product and getting rid of him.

I don't see the Lions making any drastic moves. The Rams situation was a bit different, because they just moved to a new city and needed to do something to try and attract fans. Lions games will still have plenty of fans in the seats regardless if they win or not.

Plus, what coaches are out there?

Making a change simply for making a change is not always a good plan. I think people forget just how bad our offense was prior to JBC. I mean they were losing us games. Now at least the offense doesn't lose us many games. Yes i would like more and see them win games for us. But not sure the talent level is there..at some point players need to make plays, you can't expect to draw up plays that give you wide open players each time.
And when you do, you need your players to execute on that. That's where we struggle. I'm not sure I put execution on coaches more than players.

Can't play conservatively on O w/o a solid running game, fall behind by two scores or more, then open up the passing game in the second half in an effort to come from behind. The Lions D often bailed the O out with TOs last season, and before the bye week, but since Ngata was lost, their opportunities have been far fewer. The fact that Stafford leads the NFL QBs in being sacked this season, speaks volumes about his oline, but also indicates that he is being discouraged by his coaches to throw into tight coverage, and is checking down for any gimmes. Hence the RZ woes. Stafford can scramble, but he doesn't do so very often.

Hopefully the Packers keep making a push for the playoffs and Rodgers comes back and drops 70 @ Detroit. That should clear this garbage coaching staff right into the Detroit waters...

Last edited:
I don't see the Lions making any drastic moves. The Rams situation was a bit different, because they just moved to a new city and needed to do something to try and attract fans. Lions games will still have plenty of fans in the seats regardless if they win or not.

Making a change simply for making a change is not always a good plan. I think people forget just how bad our offense was prior to JBC. I mean they were losing us games. Now at least the offense doesn't lose us many games. Yes i would like more and see them win games for us. But not sure the talent level is there..at some point players need to make plays, you can't expect to draw up plays that give you wide open players each time.
And when you do, you need your players to execute on that. That's where we struggle. I'm not sure I put execution on coaches more than players.

Then get help on the defensive side of this sorry team. They slso need a running game. Look at the fucking Cowboys last week. Prescott threw for 100+ yds and they smoked Washington. Morris ran all over them lol

Lions Oline way too injured this year. Swanson, Decker, Lang and Wagner. Hurt or playing hurt. Can't have them all get hurt

That "Who are you going to get?" comment drives me nuts. I'm not saying you in specific brewer, but I just get the willies hearing that. Continuing on a path that's comfortable just because you are scared to do something else is no way to run a team, or no way to live.

There are coaches out there to be had. This is not the right guy.

It's pretty sad when "at least the offense doesn't lose us games" is the bar that is set for this franchise.

Last edited:
Is Caldwell a net positive or negative to this team? If the answer is negative, then there’s no reason to keep him around. If they want to win they’re going to have to take some risks on coaches, sure his replacement could be worse but that’s not a good reason to stick with the status quo.

That "Who are you going to get?" comment drives me nuts. I'm not saying you in specific brewer, but I just get the willies hearing that. Continuing on a path that's comfortable just because you are scared to do something else is no way to run a team, or no way to live.

There are coaches out there to be had. This is not the right guy.

It's pretty sad when "at least the offense doesn't lose us games" is the bar that is set for this franchise.

I understand where you are coming from. Personally I don't really care if he gets fired. I just don't see it making much of a difference. This is not a Superbowl team that is being held back because of poor coaching.

There are opportunities created that the players have not been cashing in on. This team is also not making plays out of nothing very often. Perhaps that falls on the coaching staff, perhaps that falls on the players. Probably some on both.

Caldwell isn't going anywhere. I think Cooter and Austin are both out after the season though. Just too much love for Caldwell inside the organization, and I just can't see the Fords being on board with firing him. Either way, this whole thing needs to be fixed. I'm not sure if coaching changes even fixes this team. They talk accountability, but where exactly are people being held accountable? I see nothing, accountability should be shown through punishment, not through people shouldering the blame. I don't know what is even a beneficial move for this team anymore. The whole thing is a mess. Find the root(s) of the problem(s), and remove it/them. I do know this though, I'm no longer interested in how this team plays the rest of the season, because it doesn't matter. I'm in off season mode, that's all I want to see

Last edited:
My humble opinion is that he was asked to keep Caldwell, and that came from the top. That's why Martha always talked about how much she loves Caldwell. But now, I think Quinn has some pull in pointing to the on-field product and getting rid of him.

Asked to keep him, sure. But what about the extension? Quinn boned that one up.

Lions Oline way too injured this year. Swanson, Decker, Lang and Wagner. Hurt or playing hurt. Can't have them all get hurt

excuses excuses, maybe they need a better conditioning program then.

I understand where you are coming from. Personally I don't really care if he gets fired. I just don't see it making much of a difference. This is not a Superbowl team that is being held back because of poor coaching.

There are opportunities created that the players have not been cashing in on. This team is also not making plays out of nothing very often. Perhaps that falls on the coaching staff, perhaps that falls on the players. Probably some on both.

Consistent early game deficits are on the coaching staff. Change the game plan some, try some new stuff.. Caldwell & co. don't so that. Try a lateral to the RB and he passes 40 yards down field. Try something.

Back