Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Verlander Wins the 2011 AL MVP

Justin Verlander Wins the AL MVP

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Jacoby-Ellsbury-more-deserving-of-MVP-than-Justin-Verlander-112011
ken rosenthal says Verlander shouldn't have won the mvp.
gives it to ellsbury, a non playoff team.
Well why didn't he vote for Cabrera in the last two years?
and right before the announcement on mlb network the other shit head harold reynolds said the same, ellsbury. Then when JV wins he starts hugging JV's nuggets.
foxsports sucks goat dicks,
and in 2009 SI's jon heyman kept Cabrera off his ballot completely for the weekend ending that season.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
[quote="Mitch":4g1yxien]CY Young, MVP, two no no's, 110 wins or thereabouts. That's good stuff. A great start to a HOF career. And ROY :)

Verlander has now won the Rookie of the Year Award, Cy Young Award and Most Valuable Player Award. He became just the second player in BBWAA history to earn all three awards.
Great start to a career already for a guy who was a rookie in 2006. He was the 10th pitcher to win both the MVP and Cy Young Award in the same season and the seventh in the AL.

[/quote:4g1yxien]

Who is the other guy to win all 3?

Other pitchers with MVPs for Detroit: Hal Newhouser, Denny McLain, and Willie Hernanez

I ignore them all. He certainly deserved it. Though I'm a bit disappointed in Cabby showing. I thought he should finish ahead of all position plAyers. where did he finish btw?

id also like to give a big FUCK YOU to cleveland's writers, one of whom left verlander off entirely and the other who ranked him 8th. SUCK IT

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I ignore them all. He certainly deserved it. Though I'm a bit disappointed in Cabby showing. I thought he should finish ahead of all position plAyers. where did he finish btw?

Cabrera finished 5th with 2 first place votes, Avila finished 12th, and Martinez finished 17th.

Spockmaster said:
id also like to give a big FUCK YOU to cleveland's writers, one of whom left verlander off entirely and the other who ranked him 8th. SUCK IT

+1. I thought an angels writer would have left JV off both the Cy and the MVP.
Spock, If you have that link of the writers who voted please add the link.

SLICK said:
ace yet ?
Nope. Chico isn't impressed by a single Cy Young and a single MVP. Talk to him when you break double digits and he might consider you an "ace".

Haven't seen the final standings, but how many of the vote getters were Dombrowski draft picks? Verlander, Granderson, Cabrera, Gonzalez, Avila?

tycobb420 said:
[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]

Verlander has now won the Rookie of the Year Award, Cy Young Award and Most Valuable Player Award. He became just the second player in BBWAA history to earn all three awards.
Great start to a career already for a guy who was a rookie in 2006. He was the 10th pitcher to win both the MVP and Cy Young Award in the same season and the seventh in the AL.

Who is the other guy to win all 3?

Other pitchers with MVPs for Detroit: Hal Newhouser, Denny McLain, and Willie Hernanez

Ty, I think it was Don Newcombe with the Dodgers, 49? Rookie of the Year, and '56 with the NL Cy and MVP.

Spockmaster said:

Heard this on the radio a minute ago. Pretty shocking.

Honestly have more respect for the guy that left JV off the ballot, as that is a somewhat defensible position. Saying a starter should never be the MVP is pigheaded in my opinion, but defensible with an argument. To put him 8th is disgraceful, as that voter admits that a starter can win if he has a better year that the 7 guys ahead of him. That guy should lose his vote.

JimRice said:
Spockmaster said:

Heard this on the radio a minute ago. Pretty shocking.

Honestly have more respect for the guy that left JV off the ballot, as that is a somewhat defensible position. Saying a starter should never be the MVP is pigheaded in my opinion, but defensible with an argument. To put him 8th is disgraceful, as that voter admits that a starter can win if he has a better year that the 7 guys ahead of him. That guy should lose his vote.

Agree

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2011/11/tigers_miguel_cabrera_receives.html
Tigers' Miguel Cabrera receives two first-place AL MVP votes, finishes fifth overall.
from Mlive

It is the first time two Tigers have placed in the top five of MVP voting since 1968 when Denny McLain, Bill Freehan and and Willie Horton finished first, second and fourth, respectively.

Didn't they have like 5 in the top 10 that year?

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="KalineCountry":vra8u0t0]http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2011/11/tigers_miguel_cabrera_receives.html
Tigers' Miguel Cabrera receives two first-place AL MVP votes, finishes fifth overall.
from Mlive

It is the first time two Tigers have placed in the top five of MVP voting since 1968 when Denny McLain, Bill Freehan and and Willie Horton finished first, second and fourth, respectively.

Didn't they have like 5 in the top 10 that year?[/quote:vra8u0t0]

http://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_1968.shtml#ALmvp
baseball reference
McAuliffe was the next at 7th, Northrup 13th, Cash at 23, Stanley 25th.
If Kaline wasn't hit intentionally on the arm and broken missing 6/7 weeks, can't help but think he would have been somewhere in the top 5 or 10 that year too.

and to Jessie/Monster or Mitch for making Verlander's MVP thread a sticky, great idea.

Welcome. The thread deserves it, a great Detroit moment.

Absolutely shocked that he won it, but deserved given the year and the other candidates.. He has pretty much the best pitching season in 5 years and since the years of Johan Santana in his prime and Pedro in 99..

Back