Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Justin Verlander Wins the 2011 AL MVP

Justin Verlander Wins the AL MVP

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]
Spockmaster said:
id also like to give a big FUCK YOU to cleveland's writers, one of whom left verlander off entirely and the other who ranked him 8th. SUCK IT

+1. I thought an angels writer would have left JV off both the Cy and the MVP.
Spock, If you have that link of the writers who voted please add the link.

The Detroit News has it.
http://www.detnews.com/article/20111121/SPORTS0104/111210407/1129/Ohio-writer-leaves-Verlander-off-ballot
Ohio writer leaves Verlander off ballot.

I thought he deserved it but didn't think he'd get the support needed. Very happy for him. Sign this dude thru 2020 please ;)

Think of it this way: Who would you trade for Verlander? Nobody is worth as much as Verlander. Thanks Buddy.
Think Verlander's longtime girlfriend is thinking, 'Crap, where do I put all these now?' after Cy Young, MVP, Players Choice Awards?
Verlander joins Don Newcombe as the only players to win Rookie of the Year, Cy Young and MVP.
Unlikely that Verlander will sell his MVP and Cy Young plaques....as Denny McLain did after winning in 1968.
J. Ingraham to Associated Press on Verlander non-vote: "If I was ever going to vote for pitcher for MVP, it would be him this year."
FWIW, Verlander was 3-0, 2.86 vs. Indians this year. Including 2 hit shutout. Other 2 starts allowed 3 hits in 6 innings, 3 hits in 7 innings.

JV: I didn't allow myself to think about it before today, and then I started getting some nerves. It was kind of like pitching in a big game.
JV: "I thought somebody else had won it, because I got the phone call late. When I got the call, I couldn't believe it."
JV: "I can't say this is a dream come true, because my dream had already come true, to win a Cy Young."
JV: To be honest with you I didn

wow. well deserved !

now let's win the WS next season

I'm somone who really doesn't care at all about anyone winning individual awards. But this is a big fuckin' deal. I'm still a little shocked he got the votes since he is a pitcher. Congrats to JV.

Congrats Justin!!

Awesome to win the league MVP and Cy both in the same season!!

But was obviously unlikely for a pitcher not winning the AL Cy Young as well if he wins AL MVP.

We Tigers fans are being blessed by seeing a uniquely special, once in a generation Tigers SP who could also become a first-ballot HOFer, IF he can continue pitching like he has for say another 5 years or so, just hope that he can top it off by being a member of a WS winner Tigers team (or even better, several...haha!!) as well within that time.

Justin Verlander winning MVP, Cy Young, and Players Choice 'Player of the Year' Awards be considered the Awards Triple Crown?

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Justin Verlander winning MVP, Cy Young, and Players Choice 'Player of the Year' Awards be considered the Awards Triple Crown?
wonder if that has ever been done before.

Turok said:
Congrats Justin!!

But was obviously unlikely for a pitcher not winning the AL Cy Young as well if he wins AL MVP.

We Tigers fans are being blessed by seeing a uniquely special, once in a generation Tigers SP who could also become a first-ballot HOFer, IF he can continue pitching like he has for say another 5 years or so, just hope that he can top it off by being a member of a WS winner Tigers team (or even better, several...haha!!) as well within that time.

He needs more than 5 years to be a HOF.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
Turok said:
Congrats Justin!!

He needs more than 5 years to be a HOF.

That is why I posted in 5 or so more seasons, not just the 6 that he has alredy pitched in as Koufax got in the HOF with merely a dozen MLB seasons, four of which that he didn't pitch very much in, and I think that Justin could as well, if he continues to pitch like he has for another 5-7 just like Koufax had. I would also like to see him get a WS ring or two as well, but given the looong length of time between each Tigers WS championship seasons historically , that may prove to be much more difficult than Verlander possibly getting voted into the Hall on the first ballot..

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]Justin Verlander winning MVP, Cy Young, and Players Choice 'Player of the Year' Awards be considered the Awards Triple Crown?

I don't think so.

Because only pitchers can win the Cy Young.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
[quote="KalineCountry":vnliblo5]Justin Verlander winning MVP, Cy Young, and Players Choice 'Player of the Year' Awards be considered the Awards Triple Crown?

I don't think so.

Because only pitchers can win the Cy Young.

[/quote:vnliblo5]

You mean Don Kelly can't win?

World Series MVP has to be in the awards triple crown, if there ever was such a thing. MVP and Cy Young are individual awards, but WSMVP incorporates ultimate team success on baseball's brightest stage.

ChrisintheD said:
World Series MVP has to be in the awards triple crown, if there ever was such a thing. MVP and Cy Young are individual awards, but WSMVP incorporates ultimate team success on baseball's brightest stage.

That could mean you hit .210 during the season and had one good series. A nice time to play well I suppose but i would take that into account regarding the Triple crown of awards if there is such a thing.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say jv is an ace. Congrats on a great season jv

ChrisintheD said:

Some big names have won the WS MVP but so have players like Gene Tenace, Donn Clendenon, Ron Cey, Rick Dempsey, Scott Brousis and that little wart David Eckstein.

[color=#006400 said:
KalineCountry[/color]]This belongs here too. Get it or tell someone you want one for the holidays.
http://mlblogstigers.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/holiday-sale-015.jpg
Justin Verlander Cy Young / MVP T-shirt now available.

Got one for my Pop's for Christmas.
grin.png

Back