Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions sign Stafford to 5 year $135 Million deal, highest paid QB, now restructured

Lol. Pathetic

Lions are talented and can win a playoff game. I don't care about history or your warped assessments due to it. This team is good with depth and has the talent to win a lot with the right health

Stafford was a good qb. Now a great qb. No qb had less run game, less short fields or more drops than Stafford did last 6 years. He has become great with cooter and Caldwell teachings. His mid 80 qb ratings for 2012-2014 have legitimate reasons and it was mainly other people, not his play. And now he is even better to overcome lack of run game, drops and lack of short fields

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/9/4/16250908/matthew-stafford-elite-quarterback-2015-stats

Elite Stafford is proven

Ebron is a good tight end. Great you have hindsight for obj, Donald and lewan. Fact Tate was just signed. They had reiff and waddle played well in 2013. They had suh and fairley and were confident in keeping the. The Lombardi offense needed a te. Scheffler had Just reti4d. Pettigrew was slower than molasses. Ebron was the right call and is a good player. We got a good player with a first round pick. Get over who we didn't take. Those players are about get huge money to take up a big chunk of the cap too by the way. We got Ebron, he is good. Get over it

I have been very specific with ref mistakes against lions. I have yet to see specifics for it evening out. Talking multiple mistakes, not actual penalties

Injuries can impact a team more than other teams. Not just number, but who gets hurt. I observe all of this. It has cost the lions at the wrong times. Every team has injuries but not every team has the same number of same quality of player injuries. Maybe someone gets hurt where they happen to have depth. Maybe the starter and backup both got hurt leaving young 3rd string. Maybe a guy t4id to play through an inury and a healthy starter easily beat them because of it. Injuries impact the game and a little more luck and the 2013 and 2015 seasons and end of 2016 could have been much different. Stafford healthy end of 2016 and maybe it's not a playoff loss. Abdullah and Riddick were big losses. Reiff and Swanson big losses. Ansah ankle killed the pass rush. Levy gimpy. The guy was a damn stud before he got multiple injuries. We did not deserve any of that. Injuries impact the game

There is a lot to be optimistic about this team. Stafford, Abdullah, Riddick, jones,Tate,Ebron,Decker, Swanson, Lang, Wagner. Can play well. Glasgow, Zenner and Fells can support. Golladay and Roberts have nice talent for rookies

Defense can be top 10. 13th in ppg last year. Ansah healthy, Robinson more experience, Davis, whitehead in a position he exceled in past, ngata strength and bull rush, Washington athleticism and austins ability to get George Johnson, devin Taylor 2015 and Kerry hyder to look good gives Washington a great chance. Armonty Bryant 3 sacks in 5 games. Slay, quin, Lawson are good players. Diggs/hayden/tabor and wilson/Killebrew is plenty of solid talent

This defense is much improved

Cooter and Austin are good coordinators

Get excited for this team. They have playoff caliber talent that can make a run. Now they must execute

Last edited:
it isn't hindsight when many of us thought the right pick was Donald or Lewan PRIOR to the them taking Ebron.

It's also not hindsight about obj when the organization says they knew calvins career was coming to a close sooner rather than later.

Lol nobody wanted obj here. It is 100 percent hindsight. Calvin played 2 more years as well

Te was much bigger need and the right spot to draf ebron. He was rated in same group as obj, lewand and donald. Higher on many boards

And by the way, the Lions have made the playoffs more than the Giants, Rams and Titans combined in the last 3 seasons since the selections.

Last edited:
Lol nobody wanted obj here. It is 100 percent hindsight. Calvin played 2 more years as well

Te was much bigger need and the right spot to draf ebron. He was rated in same group as obj, lewand and donald. Higher on many boards

Looks like you thought the biggest need was WR

from the 2014 draft thread

Wr cb or te. Plenty of options

Mayhew doesn't with his first pick ever.
WR,WR is what I want if the board dictates.

Stud LT or CB woudn't bat an eye though. Or safety in Round 2.

WR 2 and WR 3 are the most pressing needs. Houston,Slay,Bentley, don't need a CB really.

Looks like you thought the biggest need was WR

from the 2014 draft thread

They signed Tate after that. It was no longer a need. Check the dates. Those comments were pre Tate.

Also post the link to the thread

Last edited:
alot of people were talking about watkins too.....onec again looks like youre trying to flip the facts so you can sound less stupid.

alot of people were talking about watkins too.....onec again looks like youre trying to flip the facts so you can sound less stupid.

TE was the biggest immediate need once Tate signed. Calvin played two more years and the retirement was a surprise, Tate on a five year deal. Mayhew made a very logical choice at the time with a guy who was rated around the 10th rating in Ebron. You can't deny Ebron, Lewan, OBJ and Donald all rated the same tier at the time. Ebron is now a good player for the Lions. Get over who we didnt' get. The draft has an opportunity cost for every pick

OBJ is a head case getting a huge deal soon. Aaron Donald is holding out of Rams camp and still has not reported. He wants Suh money. We have Decker and Wagner, no need for Lewan. Decker and Wagner are better.

Give me Tate, Ebron and Marvin Jones combo over OBJ Tate and some other crap non top 10 TE (plus you have to use another draft pick on a TE or FA money).

And like I said. Lions made the playoffs more than Giants, Titans and Rams combined.

Last edited:
Stafford is elite, Ebron is good. This team is good and can win some playoff games.

Anyone who disagrees doesn't know shit about the Lions

TE was the biggest immediate need once Tate signed. Calvin played two more years and the retirement was a surprise, Tate on a five year deal. Mayhew made a very logical choice at the time with a guy who was rated around the 10th rating in Ebron. You can't deny Ebron, Lewan, OBJ and Donald all rated the same tier at the time. Ebron is now a good player for the Lions. Get over who we didnt' get. The draft has an opportunity cost for every pick

OBJ is a head case getting a huge deal soon. Aaron Donald is holding out of Rams camp and still has not reported. He wants Suh money. We have Decker and Wagner, no need for Lewan. Decker and Wagner are better.

Give me Tate, Ebron and Marvin Jones combo over OBJ Tate and some other crap non top 10 TE (plus you have to use another draft pick on a TE or FA money).

And like I said. Lions made the playoffs more than Giants, Titans and Rams combined.

why was TE the biggest need? I can go to about 500 posts of you saying Pettigrew was top 5! lmao.

Stafford is elite, Ebron is good. This team is good and can win some playoff games.

Anyone who disagrees doesn't know shit about the Lions

You've been saying that since '91, eh? We thought a lot of teams could win playoff games. Just because they could doesn't mean they will.

Not sure what's worse, 1 playoff win in 60 years or only 12 playoff years in 60 years? Or maybe it's the no division title in 24 years (3 in 60 years). Or zero back to back playoff seasons since the early 90's. Or maybe it's our best players who retire early. Lots to chose from.

This franchise blows. Can't sugarcoat facts.

You've been saying that since '91, eh? We thought a lot of teams could win playoff games. Just because they could doesn't mean they will.

Not sure what's worse, 1 playoff win in 60 years or only 12 playoff years in 60 years? Or maybe it's the no division title in 24 years (3 in 60 years). Or zero back to back playoff seasons since the early 90's. Or maybe it's our best players who retire early. Lots to chose from.

This franchise blows. Can't sugarcoat facts.

This has nothing to do with the 2017 season. Lions in the 70s 80s, and Millen era warped your mind.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with the 2017 season. Lions in the 70s 80s, and Millen era warped your mind.

70's 80's, Millen, Mayhew, Chuck Long, Russ Thomas, Ford etc. I think you get where I drifted. 60 years of crap.

70's 80's, Millen, Mayhew, Chuck Long, Russ Thomas, Ford etc. I think you get where I drifted. 60 years of crap.

Then give up? Seems like you want to give up? Because this 2017 team is good

Who says they're good? Are we better than GB yet?

Yes we are clearly better than Green Bay

Elite QB, good RBs, good weapons, good Oline, good Dline, good LBs, good secondary. Solid depth. Good coordinators.

One might even venture to say this team is holeless? Oh wait that was last year's team and the year before.

So this year we are even better than the holeless teams we've had the last couple years. Get excited!

Yes we are clearly better than Green Bay

Elite QB, good RBs, good weapons, good Oline, good Dline, good LBs, good secondary. Solid depth. Good coordinators.

If Matt is Elite than Rodgers is super elite..

One might even venture to say this team is holeless? Oh wait that was last year's team and the year before.

So this year we are even better than the holeless teams we've had the last couple years. Get excited!

Holes were created through many injuries. Abdullah and Riddick for run game. Ansah and Slay and Levy. Reiff and Swanson down the stretch. Stafford hand injury. Hurt at the wrong time during the playoff run. Healthy-ish and nice 9-4 record.

Let's stay healthier.

Robinson/C Robinson and Washington/Bryant/Zettel handle the Decker and Hyder injuries for now.

Back