Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Lions and Suh NOT close to a deal

Mitch, he's in charge of the staff. He puts those guys around him.

I'm not just going to ignore it as 7 years of wasted space. He was there, and failed miserably. His track record in the NFL is less than stellar as well. I don't love the hire. Hopefully it works out, but calling him a super bowl caliber coach is ridiculous.

Mitch, he's in charge of the staff. He puts those guys around him.

I'm not just going to ignore it as 7 years of wasted space. He was there, and failed miserably. His track record in the NFL is less than stellar as well. I don't love the hire. Hopefully it works out, but calling him a super bowl caliber coach is ridiculous.

I'm not calling him a sb caliber..nor am I saying he's a HC I want. Just that college to the pros the game is so different..

So in that essence I go by what he's done in the NFL and all I see is that he can win with P. Manning.

Honestly, I don't think it's as different as you make it out to be. If anything, the NFL is a lot simpler with the formations. Colleges run the gamut of goofy systems. It's just a beefed up, tougher, simpler version of the college game. If a coach can succeed at college, he can succeed in the NFL. Already have two strong examples of that in the league with Harbaugh and Carroll.

Honestly, I don't think it's as different as you make it out to be. If anything, the NFL is a lot simpler with the formations. Colleges run the gamut of goofy systems. It's just a beefed up, tougher, simpler version of the college game. If a coach can succeed at college, he can succeed in the NFL. Already have two strong examples of that in the league with Harbaugh and Carroll.

That's why it's different, "all those goofy systems". I never said it was easier or harder just different. And Harbaugh and Carroll aren't the only two college HC that ever coached in the pros.

Steve Spurrior, Butch Davis, even Lou Holtz. There's more..but that blows the theory that a good college HC does well in the pros.

Well yeah, I apologize for not including that. I understand it's not a 1 for 1 correlation, and coaches won't always win at the next level. But the fact that he was such a huge letdown at Wake, and the team never really did anything scares me, as there is not a ton of head coaching experience to go on.

There's just different it's hard to know..now has there been bad HC at college that Did well in the NFL? I wonder..

But again, I'm not huge on Caldwell myself.

I would have to imagine the data on that is quite limited, I wouldn't figure a ton of college coaches who failed get bumped up to the next level.

I would have to imagine the data on that is quite limited, I wouldn't figure a ton of college coaches who failed get bumped up to the next level.

Not in HC capacity, maybe. But maybe college HC becomes an NFL LB coach and he works themself up.

Since I'm bored, I took a look at the list of current NFL HCs and checked if they had any college HC experience.

Arizona: Arians, Temple 1983-88 (27-39 unofficially, roster violations, 0 bowl games)
Atlanta: Mike Smith, None
Baltimore: John Harbaugh, None
Buffalo: Doug Marone, Syracuse 2009-12 (21-17, 2-0 in bowl games)
Carolina: Ron Rivera, None
Chicago: Mark Trestman, None (CFL head coach)
Cincinnati: Marvin Lewis, None
Cleveland: Mike Pettine, None (HS head coach)
Dallas: Jason Garrett, None
Denver: John Fox, None
Detroit: Jim Caldwell, Wake Forest 1993-2000 (26-63, 1-0 in bowl games)
Green Bay: Mike McCarthy, None
Houston: Bill O'Brien, Penn State 2012-13 (15-9, no bowl games due to NCAA sanctions)
Indianapolis: Chuck Pagano, None
Jacksonville: Gus Bradley, None
Kansas City: Andy Reid, None
Miami: Joe Philbin, None
Minnesota: Mike Zimmer, None
New England: Bill Belichick, None
New Orleans: Sean Payton, None
NY Giants: Tom Coughlin, Rochester Institute of Technology 1970-73 (?), Boston College 1991-93 (21-13-1, 1-1 in bowl games)
NY Jets: Rex Ryan, None
Oakland: Dennis Allen, None
Philadelphia: Chip Kelly, Oregon 2009-12 (46-7, 2-2 in bowl games)
Pittsburgh: Mike Tomlin, None
San Diego: Mike McCoy, None
San Francisco: Jim Harbaugh, San Diego 2004-06 (29-6, 2 Pioneer League championships), Stanford 2007-10 (29-21, 1-1 in bowl games)
Seattle: Pete Carroll, USC 2001-09 (97-19 unofficially, 2x National Champion??)
St. Louis: Jeff Fisher, None
Tampa Bay: Lovie Smith, None
Tennessee: Ken Whisenhunt, None
Washington: Jay Gruden, None (AFL & UFL head coach)

8 out of the 32 head coaches have college HC experience, I'd say only Carroll and Kelly were extremely successful, followed by Harbaugh, Coughlin, and O'Brien (considering the circumstances).

And most of those coaches that had the college experience were pretty damn successful. I think Bill O'Brien would have had taken PSU to a pretty high level if he stuck around. Caldwell's sticks out like a sore thumb.

But whatever, hope the dude wins with the Lions. I just have my doubts.

Last edited:
You know Carroll wasn't successful his first go in the NFL. But those are just current..as I posted above Dennis Erickson, and Steve Spurrior are two of the worst. And few others..not sure you can correlate good in college as good in NFL. Some yes, some no.

Caldwell is a dud. Its all going to boil down to how his coordinators turn out. Which we have no idea about either cause they've never been coordinators anywhere ever before (Austin was DC for florida for 1 year then got canned....not sure if you count that as experience) lol.

Last edited:
TWO rings for Caldwell. He's been around winners and he knows what it takes to win. Best HC we've had here in years. Never called him "elite", because he's not. He's a solid coach.....end of story.

And guaging a HC on their college record is ludicrous. Completely irrelevant

You're the guy asking "what's Caldwell doing here"? And you were not joking...you're so full of shit lol.

again youre not following. I said if Caldwell needs a superstar qb in order to succeed....then what is he doing here? get it? cause we don't have a superstar qb? get it?

Back