Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Lions and Suh NOT close to a deal

Tony, it's not that hard to put the pieces together. Especially when the GM is saying, "We thought we would have a deal done before the draft, then before workouts, then done before training camp." Now who do you think isn't playing ball between the Lions and Suh? Not that tough to follow.

Not sure why you have to continue to white knight the guy. If he wants to be here, he would have signed something months ago. He doesn't want to be here.

"I could have refused to be drafted here, I had that power."

Yeah, that's something that a passionate Detroit player would say...

Last edited:
again youre not following. I said if Caldwell needs a superstar qb in order to succeed....then what is he doing here? get it? cause we don't have a superstar qb? get it?

Yeah, i got your stupid fn joke and it wasn't funny. It was terrible. Get that?

Tony, it's not that hard to put the pieces together. Especially when the GM is saying, "We thought we would have a deal done before the draft, then before workouts, then done before training camp." Now who do you think isn't playing ball between the Lions and Suh? Not that tough to follow.

Not sure why you have to continue to white knight the guy. If he wants to be here, he would have signed something months ago. He doesn't want to be here.

"I could have refused to be drafted here, I had that power."

Yeah, that's something that a passionate Detroit player would say...

Im not white knighting him. Where do you get that from? I'll admit, i thought a deal would be done. Mayhew and Suh were both saying. I just took their words for it. lol. But now the talks are "tabled". I kinda think thats bs and they're secretly trying to hash out a deal. Maybe that's the denial in me that he's not coming back or what....idk lol, but a deal can still get done and the Lions are sick of the questions about Suh. The team needs to concentrate on football, not Suh's contract.
Then if he walks, at least we'll have a boatload of cash to go get more players. Believe me, i don't want to lose Suh, but maybe it's time.

Lions can sign him before free agency after a winning season. Lions can offer him a big deal and still not kill their cap in 2015 and beyond. It's up to Suh now to stay here but he may want to see some winning first. Suh playing for Detroit in 2014 will do that.

And restructuring Suh was smart with the cap rising. It allowed them to get Levy, Bush, Tulloch, Quin etc. I'll take all those guys and Suh can still sign with Detroit.

And LKP will tell you that Mayhew has Suh right where he wants him!

From the article:

'How the Lions Got Here

Suh represents one of the last remaining rookie contracts signed under the rules of the 2006 Collective Bargaining Agreement. During the terms of the old CBA, agents and players had a great deal of leeway to ask for major contract concessions from the team. Suh?s contract would run for just five years with an expected value of $60 million and a maximum value of $68 million. A huge chunk of that, $40 million, was virtually guaranteed upon signing.

Because of the salary structures used in these rookie contracts, teams had to avoid modifying the contracts prior to a first extension.

The Lions, however, would proceed to make a disaster out of Suh?s contract, showing almost no thought of long-term planning. Suh?s contract would be reworked for salary cap relief in both 2012 and 2013, pushing salary cap charges further and further into the contract. To make matters worse, Suh?s deal contained a voidable contract year in 2015, which was simply used as a placeholder for salary cap charges. The charges in the voidable year will remain with the Lions whether or not Suh is on the team that season.

Suh?s original contract would have called for a salary cap charge of $16.147 million in 2014 with just $3.472 million left in charges in the 2015 season. Following all of the restructuring, his cap charge grew to $22.4125 million in 2014 with $9.7375 million in charges still sitting in that voidable contract year.

These decisions have compromised the Lions? ability to negotiate a long-term extension with Suh at a reasonable compensation level and contract structure. Normally teams will threaten a player with a franchise tag when negotiating a contract, and under his prior contract structure, that figure would have been $19.226 million. While that number seems incredibly high, it would be less cash than he would receive in a contract extension and both sides would have reason to get a contract done. Now the cost of the franchise tag will be $26.745 million with a salary cap charge of $36.483 million.

They can't franchise him. If Suh wants to be here and the Lions win in 2014, he'll sign before free agency. If not, 9.6 in dead money which is still cap relief and a 3rd round comp pick in 2016, plus we got Suh's services in 2014 and have 2015 offseason to replace him (Jurrel Casey, draft etc).

They can win the Super Bowl with him. This team is Super Bowl caliber.

This team is close to a .500 team. If things go VERY well they might make the playoffs. They are not a SB caliber team.

Vegas insider has the Lions at 40-1

The Ravens have the same odds

Teams with better odds

Denver
Seattle
SF
NE
GB
NO
Indy
Bears
Steelers
Eagles
Bengals

Last edited:
And LKP references Vegas quite often. Can't hide from those predictions.

Suh would be 19MIL against the cap if traded, right? Just asking...
not a numbers guy at all.

Suh would be 19MIL against the cap if traded, right? Just asking...
not a numbers guy at all.

You're right he's still a huge hit if traded. I don't think it's $19 though a bit less. He's still $9 against the cap next year even if/when he's not here. Mayhew mortgaged our future for some magic beans (2012, 2013). Hopefully the beanstalk sprouts overnight (2014) or the whole fairy tale become a nightmaretron.

You're right he's still a huge hit if traded. I don't think it's $19 though a bit less. He's still $9 against the cap next year even if/when he's not here. Mayhew mortgaged our future for some magic beans (2012, 2013). Hopefully the beanstalk sprouts overnight (2014) or the whole fairy tale become a nightmaretron.

cap hit once and trade for a high pick

or

28 mil cap and tag suh for 1 year then do the same thing all over again next year

or

somehow convince him to sign long term here which will cost you 12+ mil salary and bonuses which will be about 16 mil cap hit every year.

cap hit once and trade for a high pick

or

28 mil cap and tag suh for 1 year then do the same thing all over again next year

or

somehow convince him to sign long term here which will cost you 12+ mil salary and bonuses which will be about 16 mil cap hit every year.

Option A is a sign and trade type option and I don't think the NFL has too much history with that route. No one is giving up a 2nd for a year rental so they can do options b or c.

Third option is the best. We keep Suh around 16 million cap number per year and will still have room for others.

Back