Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Max won the 2013 Cy Young

manchild98

It is official.

Detroit Tigers right-hander Max Scherzer has won the 2013 American League Cy Young Award.

Scherzer, who finished 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA in 32 starts, received 28 of 30 first-place votes. Scherzer led the majors in wins, finished second in strikeouts (240) and third in WHIP (0.97).

Yu Darvish of the Texas Rangers and Hisashi Iwakuma of the Seattle Mariners finished second and third, respectively, in the voting.

The 29-year-old Scherzer became the second Tigers pitcher in three seasons to win the Cy Young Award, joining teammate Justin Verlander, who won in 2011.

Last edited:
Congrats to Max!!

Yet another sticky for our Tigers board to go along with Miggy's and Justin's Cy and MVPs.

4 major MLB awards in 3 consecutive seasons for the Tigers ballclub.

Next season its Sanchez' turn..lol!!

Last edited:
Congrats to Max!!

Yet another sticky for our Tigers board to go along with Miggy's and Justin's Cy and MVPs.

4 major MLB awards in 3 consecutive seasons for the Tigers ballclub.

Next season its Sanchez' turn..lol!!

Well Anibal Sanchez did finish fourth so :)

Gotta give Tim McCarver credit. He called it before the season. Damn good prediction since Max is JV's teammate and JV was pretty much lights out for the past 2 years.

Kershaw won the NL CY Young and received 29 of 30 1st place votes. Who the hell didn't vote for Kershaw???

Kershaw won the NL CY Young and received 29 of 30 1st place votes. Who the hell didn't vote for Kershaw???

Whoever it was should never be able to write, talk, or think about the game of baseball ever again, on penalty of death.

Also:
Congrats Blue eye.

Whoever it was should never be able to write, talk, or think about the game of baseball ever again, on penalty of death.

Also:
Congrats Blue eye.

i was gonna check, but the bbwaa site is down.

Mark Schmetzer of the Reds Report in Cincinnati voted for Wainwright

Congrats to Max on an awesome year. I really hope we can lock him up long term. I've really become a big fan of the guy. He's gutted out some games for us in some really tough situations and has worked to become one of the best in the game.

I thought I heard that Kershaw went to high school with Matt Stafford...is that right?

Matt Stafford was also the catcher for Kershaw in on their HS teams, this has been talked about numerous times when the two are mentioned.

EDIT: the wiki link turok posted mentions him playing 1st, but I'm sure I heard/read he was a catcher for Kershaw.

I'm not sure if Kershaw also played football with Matt in HS though.

Last edited:
Matt Stafford was also the catcher for Kershaw in on their HS teams, this has been talked about numerous times when the two are mentioned.

EDIT: the wiki link turok posted mentions him playing 1st, but I'm sure I heard/read he was a catcher for Kershaw.

I'm not sure if Kershaw also played football with Matt in HS though.

I've heard it a ton of times too...and they always say Stafford played catcher.

I've heard it a ton of times too...and they always say Stafford played catcher.

Well Wikipedia is always a little 'grey' on actual facts rather than black and white.

But maybe it's possible Stafford was his catcher in jr. high and little league and that's where the info people always say comes from, rather than just high school, which is all Wikipedia mentions.

Watched it on mlbnetwork, was hoping and glad that you posted the thread Manchild.
Congratulations Max!!

Back