Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

X WR is the biggest need on this team now. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move up from 18 a couple spots to secure Quentin Johnston. Even if he doesn't have alot of production that guy outside the hash taking coverage deep is going to be important to allow Jameson and st brown room to work underneath.

There's not a ton of those guys left in FA either. Golladay, marvin Jones or maybe robbie Anderson? Nothing to get excited about.

Last edited:
Mike Evans, DHop, Allen Robison are all options that could be had in the trade market.

Julio and Odell are vet options that could come as a cost savings compared to the others.

X WR is the biggest need on this team now. I wouldn't be surprised to see us move up from 18 a couple spots to secure Quentin Johnston. Even if he doesn't have alot of production that guy outside the hash taking coverage deep is going to be important to allow Jameson and st brown room to work underneath.

There's not a ton of those guys left in FA either. Golladay, marvin Jones or maybe robbie Anderson? Nothing to get excited about.

I think Jaxon Smith-Njigba is going to be the better pro than Johnston. Let Williams take the top off with his blazing speed and let JSN and St Brown work underneath. Those three would be a lethal combo.

Mike Evans, DHop, Allen Robison are all options that could be had in the trade market.

Julio and Odell are vet options that could come as a cost savings compared to the others.

Allen Robinson, Julio and Odell all suck. No thanks.

Evans and DHop are past their prime and would require both giving up draft capital AND a large cap hit.

All 5 are terrible ideas.

I?d take Robbie Anderson on a one year ?prove it? deal. Similar skill set to Chark.

Allen Robinson, Julio and Odell all suck. No thanks.

Evans and DHop are past their prime and would require both giving up draft capital AND a large cap hit.

All 5 are terrible ideas.

Let me guess, the better idea would be to use 1st rounders back2back years on WRs when we already have a #1 w St Brown?

Let me guess, the better idea would be to use 1st rounders back2back years on WRs when we already have a #1 w St Brown?

Lol. No. Never said that. But you continue to show your lack of sense when it has anything to do with signing guys. This isn?t Madden. There are salary cap implications to trading for guys with big contracts. You also have to give up draft capital.

Having 5 of the first 81 picks gives them the chance to get a solid, young, cheap WR.

Last edited:
Lol. No. Never said that. But you continue to show your lack of sense when it has anything to do with signing guys. This isn?t Madden. There are salary cap implications to trading for guys with big contracts. You also have to give up draft capital.

Having 5 of the first 81 picks gives them the chance to get a solid, young, cheap WR.

Julio - I agree he?s washed up but wouldn?t command much against the cap. Solid vet who would give the same production that Chark gave us for half the price.

Odell - probably $10-$12 Mil and better than Chark.

Robinson - Another one I could agree w you. Probably not worth his contract. But could probably get him for a 7th.

Evans - not washed up at all and would be a huge get. Might cost a 1st.

DHop - see Evans but wouldn?t cost anything more than a second.

We have a young and unproven WR room outside St Brown and lack depth. If we could add Hopkins or Evans, I?d take that over a rookie.

Julio - I agree he?s washed up but wouldn?t command much against the cap. Solid vet who would give the same production that Chark gave us for half the price.

Robinson - Another one I could agree w you. Probably not worth his contract. But could probably get him for a 7th.

We have a young and unproven WR room outside St Brown and lack depth. If we could add Hopkins or Evans, I?d take that over a rookie.

WR is one of the few positions that a good rookie can step in and be great in year one.

30 catches, 502 yards, 3 TDs

WR is one of the few positions that a good rookie can step in and be great in year one.

30 catches, 502 yards, 3 TDs

Hopefully Jamo will be that good rookie!

Trade for Hopkins or Evans. When that contract is up, it will be time to extend St Brown.

DHop - $19M cap hit for the Lions. Only played in 19 of 33 games the last 2 years. 1,200 yards and 11 TD combined. That?s a hard no. WAY to highly priced.

Evans - $13M cap hit. About to turn 30. Would also cost at least a 1st rounder. Would be the best fit of the five?wouldn?t hate this move. Wouldn?t love it.

Beckham - this one is fucking laughable. Played in 53 of last 97 possible games. 3,200 yards and 21 TD in that span. Too expensive. Can?t stay healthy. 30 years old. Missed ALL of last year. Anyone that pays him $12M/year is insane. If he were willing to take a 1 year price it deal at $5M - $6M fine. No interest outside of that. None.

Trading for Hopkins means cutting people or more restructures and cost a high round pick. Evans the same. Odell hasn?t been anything but average since 2016. Robinson is just bad. Julio is clearly declining fast.

Or, just use the pick you were going to trade and draft a younger cheaper option to Evans/DHop.

DHop - $19M cap hit for the Lions. Only played in 19 of 33 games the last 2 years. 1,200 yards and 11 TD combined. That?s a hard no. WAY to highly priced.

Evans - $13M cap hit. About to turn 30. Would also cost at least a 1st rounder. Would be the best fit of the five?wouldn?t hate this move. Wouldn?t love it.

Beckham - this one is fucking laughable. Played in 53 of last 97 possible games. 3,200 yards and 21 TD in that span. Too expensive. Can?t stay healthy. 30 years old. Missed ALL of last year. Anyone that pays him $12M/year is insane. If he were willing to take a 1 year price it deal at $5M - $6M fine. No interest outside of that. None.

Trading for Hopkins means cutting people or more restructures and cost a high round pick. Evans the same. Odell hasn?t been anything but average since 2016. Robinson is just bad. Julio is clearly declining fast.

Or, just use the pick you were going to trade and draft a younger cheaper option to Evans/DHop.

Grab JSN at 18 if he's there.

St Brown
JSN
Williams

Your forgetting Hopkins was suspended the first half of last season and came back to a shit show of an Arizona season.

I understand he's overpriced and I agree with you. But the other part of my proposal means you're getting will Anderson.

I also wouldn't JUST trade for Hopkins. But if it includes #3 pick im thinking about it...

The " just draft a guy" argument is tough cause there's literally 1 X WR projected on the top 2 rounds. There's Quentin Johnston then a bunch of guys that are 5'10. You don't like putting yourself in a position where you need to hope you can get a guy. But ya... if you could come out of the draft with st brown, Jameson and Johnston id be ecstatic and id agree that would put us in a better cap position with a younger guy.

Getting will Anderson is still intriguing for me. And let's be honest...Hopkins is older but he's a much better WR than Johnston.

Last edited:
Pick 6 for Johnston is 7 million per year average. 41st for wrs average

Preferable cap space for a wr than a 31 year old hopkins. But hopkins is better for win now

I really am good either way. I see the logic for both

Can see the logic for johnston, carter or andersom, witherspoon/gonzalez, wilson at edge, or a qb. Heck even Bijan if you think he is a game changer and dont want to pay swift. But 7 per for Bijan would be 11th for rbs already

Last edited:
Back