Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

wouldn't consider that trade. Terrible!

Really? I don't know about terrible. If you break it down it would take 6, 48 and 81 to move up to pick 3 according to the calculators.

So you're essentially throwing in dhop for pick 55.

Really? I don't know about terrible. If you break it down it would take 6, 48 and 81 to move up to pick 3 according to the calculators.

So you're essentially throwing in dhop for pick 55.

I think it's terrible because that is the last thing the Lions should be doing right now. Lions fans think because they signed some average free agents that they are somehow a SB contender. This years draft, the picks that you want to give away, are what will make the team a SB contender in the future. Hit on 5 picks in the top 81 and you build a team that can sustain success.

I think it's terrible because that is the last thing the Lions should be doing right now. Lions fans think because they signed some average free agents that they are somehow a SB contender. This years draft, the picks that you want to give away, are what will make the team a SB contender in the future. Hit on 5 picks in the top 81 and you build a team that can sustain success.

Ya I can see that. Overall holmes has drafted well. The 2nd round has probably been his least productive round. For me adding will Anderson and dhop as that X covers 2 huge needs with impact guys for multiple years. So I'm not sure it really destroys your future....I think there's people that would argue it helps your future.

Ya I can see that. Overall holmes has drafted well. The 2nd round has probably been his least productive round. For me adding will Anderson and dhop as that X covers 2 huge needs with impact guys for multiple years. So I'm not sure it really destroys your future....I think there's people that would argue it helps your future.

I like the DHop idea a lot, especially moving up to #3. DHop, Anderson JR or Young, and still have #18.

Bring in Hopkins and give Jamo a full year to develop behind him while still being a big contributor.

Look, I get we've all been hurt before by this team. Many of the guys on this board are Gen Xers who have been watching for 40 years or more, and there are some that go back even further. I've watched this franchise be an abject failure since the Billy Sims era.

But honest question: Do you even like this team? Every single take is crazy negative. If it's a matter of "I don't want to get my hopes up.", I get it. But it's coming across like you're rooting for failure. It's a downer, man.

I admit over those years football doesn't mean as much but when I get a chance to watch I root for them. Like the Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings... Not fun rooting for a tank job. But over the years with the Lions, I'm losing hope. I just don't see how a couple defensive free agents and a draft will 180 the D. To answer your question yes I like this team. I criticize them more because I've seen the other Detroit teams win titles..

Last edited:
I admit over those years football doesn't mean as much but when I get a chance to watch I root for them. Like the Pistons, Tigers, Red Wings... Not fun rooting for a tank job. But over the years with the Lions, I'm losing hope. I just don't see how a couple defensive free agents and a draft will 180 the D. To answer your question yes I like this team. I criticize them more because I've seen the other Detroit teams win titles..

The defense gave up 20.2 pgg final 10 games. It was already starting to be fixed before we added 3 new cbs, the teams biggest weakness. Sutton, Moseley and CGJ can all ball. It wasnt low tier signings at all

Defense being average is the floor. Still need a 3 tech and cover lb but deep edges, mcneil, solid lbs and vastly upgraded secondary. Walker, more Harris, more Okwara are adds too. Year 2 jumps from Hutch, Rodriguez, Houston and Paschal in the cards and 3 of them already played well

Everyone is seeing the progress and potential. But agree they have to execute. Nfc south got better, broncos got better, chargers, ravens,chiefs, cowboys are good teams. Seattle impoved. Vikings and packers worse, bears better than terrible now. Lions will have to earn those 10+ wins very much. And excessive injuries can always derail any season

The defense gave up 20.2 pgg final 10 games. It was already starting to be fixed before we added 3 new cbs, the teams biggest weakness. Sutton, Moseley and CGJ can all ball. It wasnt low tier signings at all

Defense being average is the floor. Still need a 3 tech and cover lb but deep edges, mcneil, solid lbs and vastly upgraded secondary. Walker, more Harris, more Okwara are adds too. Year 2 jumps from Hutch, Rodriguez, Houston and Paschal in the cards and 3 of them already played well

Everyone is seeing the progress and potential. But agree they have to execute. Nfc south got better, broncos got better, chargers, ravens,chiefs, cowboys are good teams. Seattle impoved. Vikings and packers worse, bears better than terrible now. Lions will have to earn those 10+ wins very much. And excessive injuries can always derail any season

I think the 3 DBs they added are all decent. Nothing special but all slight upgrades over what they had. The Lions couldn't stop the run or pass.

you saying "the defense being average is the floor" is one of your stupid comments. Things could change after the draft...but as of now, the floor is they are bottom 5 again. The ceiling is "average" or middle of the pack.

My guess, is the offense takes a step back a bit, down a bit from #5 overall offense, and the D is better...up from bottom 3

Reactions: 503
They need better LB play. Of course they always do.. It's the short passes that always kill us. Then the inevitable injury and the I was good but not this year player or two. We'll see, hope I'm wrong.

I think the 3 DBs they added are all decent. Nothing special but all slight upgrades over what they had. The Lions couldn't stop the run or pass.

you saying "the defense being average is the floor" is one of your stupid comments. Things could change after the draft...but as of now, the floor is they are bottom 5 again. The ceiling is "average" or middle of the pack.

My guess, is the offense takes a step back a bit, down a bit from #5 overall offense, and the D is better...up from bottom 3

Sutton and Moseley and CGJ are more than just slight upgrades. They are big upgrades. And Walker back. We will be able to stop the pass with this Dline and secondary

They were above average in the final 10 games of the year already. Top 10 defense is the ceiling and should always be the goal of the ceiling.

Run defense is my big worry but one more DT should fix that. The EDGES we have can play the run, LBs are solid and improved secondary that can tackle too.

Last edited:
Sutton and Moseley and CGJ are more than just slight upgrades. They are big upgrades. And Walker back. We will be able to stop the pass with this Dline and secondary

They were above average in the final 10 games of the year already. Top 10 defense is the ceiling and should always be the goal of the ceiling.

Run defense is my big worry but one more DT should fix that. The EDGES we have can play the run, LBs are solid and improved secondary that can tackle too.

you are predictable. Those three CB's are nothing special. Slightly better than what the Lions had last year, which is a good thing. They also add depth, which is good. Small incremental improvements will make a difference.

You want to ignore the first 7 games, but they happened. If you ignore game 8, the Lions D would be 15th from games 9-17, but that doesn't support your weak argument that the Lions D was top 10 :lmao:

Reactions: 503
you are predictable. Those three CB's are nothing special. Slightly better than what the Lions had last year, which is a good thing. They also add depth, which is good. Small incremental improvements will make a difference.

You want to ignore the first 7 games, but they happened. If you ignore game 8, the Lions D would be 15th from games 9-17, but that doesn't support your weak argument that the Lions D was top 10 :lmao:

Those first 7 games didn't have Cominsky after Week 2 win, Paschal, Romeo Okwara, Jerry Jacobs at CB (had terrible AO (lol Giants) at CB) and Joseph didn't know what he was doing yet as a rookie. They switched things up and it worked to 20.2 PPG in final 10. This team is drastically changed. So yes the first 7 games are not indicative of what this team was at end of season or now.

And Sutton is a very good CB. He basically shut down his opponents last year and is good against the run.

Moseley too but got hurt. They played tremendously. CGJ is a ballhawk and versatile. They are big upgrades over Jacobs/AO and Harris/Hughes.

Lions upgraded big time and have great depth.

Bottom line they have to execute. And if we have a top 5 offense again, average defense could work too for plenty of wins. Doesn't have to be above average or top 10 for plenty of wins.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...on-free-agency-profile-podcast-steelers-grade

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...ile-5-qs-j-gardner-johnson-absolute-ball-hawk

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...ions-steal-nfl-free-agency-cj-gardner-johnson

Last edited:

Improper use of floor-ceiling analogy.

Would you:

Ari gets pick 6, both lions 2nd rd picks, pick 81

Det gets pick 3 and DeAndre hopkins.

Not a chance. While DHop would be a huge get.....his contract and age aren't what this team needs right now. Giving away two 2nd's and a 3rd for him is too much.

I'd rather have Chark (younger and cheaper) and keep all my picks to raise the floor of our talent level.

Ari Meirov

@MySportsUpdate
The #Panthers have reached agreement on a deal with WR DJ Chark, per
@Schultz_Report
. Carolina traded away DJ Moore, but ends up with Adam Thielen and Chark.

Improper use of floor-ceiling analogy.

Too talented now for average to be the ceiling. Average is our floor now

Last years injured team, sure the ceiling was average and floor was bad and first 7 we hit bad and last 10 we were above average

Live in the now, not the past

Chark gone. If the 2023 season were to begin today, Detroit would be equipped with Amon-Ra St. Brown, Jameson Williams, Kalif Raymond and Josh Reynolds as its top four receivers.

Yup I'd say WR is a top need to pair with Brown. Willaims is unproven yet while the other two are meh.

Ari Meirov

@MySportsUpdate
The #Panthers have reached agreement on a deal with WR DJ Chark, per
@Schultz_Report
. Carolina traded away DJ Moore, but ends up with Adam Thielen and Chark.

Dang. I think that is a bigger loss than we think. Reynolds and Jameson gonna have to step up and still got the draft.

Back