Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

He talked about all the reasons that enticed him to Det but didn?t mention financials?hmmm

Lions are paying him and Vaitai. And decker and ragnow both on big deals. There is where the big money went from the Lions along with Goff

New fa this year in Sutton 11 per. Montgomery 6 per
Resigns walker and anzalone at 7 and 6 per

Some smart contracts for talented but players needing to prove more. Harris, Romeo, Cominsky, Moseley(health), Gardner Johnson

and lucky enough for everyone else on rookie deals

Chark was 10 million with a void year

Jonah Jackson and Swift will be the next decisions

Okudah 10 million cap hit required

Brockers got 8 per but didnt see his last year

Last edited:
Lions are paying him and Vaitai. And decker and ragnow both on big deals. There is where the big money went from the Lions along with Goff

New fa this year in Sutton 11 per. Montgomery 6 per
Resigns walker and anzalone at 7 and 6 per

Some smart contracts for talented but players needing to prove more. Harris, Romeo, Cominsky, Moseley(health), Gardner Johnson

and lucky enough for everyone else on rookie deals

Chark was 10 million with a void year

Jonah Jackson and Swift will be the next decisions

Okudah 10 million cap hit required

Brockers got 8 per but didnt see his last year

Walker and Thor were head scratchers for me. Walker is a 3rd rd pick that has done little to nothing. Thor is simply terrible. But for some reason they are our glue guys. It's odd how fiscally responsible holmes seems to be... but shells out money to underperformers if they are simply a culture fit.

Walker and Thor were head scratchers for me. Walker is a 3rd rd pick that has done little to nothing. Thor is simply terrible. But for some reason they are our glue guys. It's odd how fiscally responsible holmes seems to be... but shells out money to underperformers if they are simply a culture fit.

Holmes said not in a place for splash FA signings the last few years. Who knows if they pursued John Johnson (who didn't work for Browns) or Marcus Williams. Walker had a good rookie year in limited snaps and 2019, bad 2020 (misplaced by Patricia) and average 2021. Was good last year in the 2.5 games he played. And Holmes still drafted Joseph and added Elllot. Now added CGJ but he may play more slot CB. Walker can play some slot CB too. Excited to see how they play this new secondary. Walker is ahead of schedule on his rehab and they restructured him so no big cap hits for him yet either.

Edmunds is still on the market too

Anzalone is a head scratcher but he was cheap for two years during a rebuild (and knew the defense to rebuild) and still only a 3.2 million cap hit this season. The Lions surely have outs, especially in year 3 of the deal (2025). For 2024, looks like they won't need the cap space as they have plenty of money for 2024.

ILB is not a priority in this defense other than leadership I guess to get the play calls and be adequate in run and coverage. AA played well in second half of last year when he got a Dline in front of him. Will be interesting if the Lions take a LB on day 2. AA probably helped us get CGJ too as they are both from Florida and the Saints. Lions lost Board (to Patriots) and Josh Woods a FA so there is an opening to add a player. Barnes didn't step up and take the job from AA either.

Last edited:
Alot of teams inquiring about Jeudy. Id shit myself.

Patrick Queen, please.

I know with Thor's signing that is unlikely, but not having a coverage LB will absolutely bite us in the ass at some point. They need to answer that in the draft.

Talk about adding to a strength...49ers added Hargrave and Clelin Ferrell to that dline with Bosa.

Somehow I still see 8 wins. No other reason then being a Lions fan for a shit long time.

Somehow I still see 8 wins. No other reason then being a Lions fan for a shit long time.

Always the injury bug and lack of execution but they have the talent and coaching to finally do this thing

Good Dline, good secondary, top 5 offense, good ST (just need a kicker that can make 50 yarders)

Anzalone was a legitimate playmaker the 2nd half of last season. He is a team leader and great communicator. He also had connections to a few of the guys we signed which may have helped lure them here (Sutton, CGJ). He was below average for the first year and a half and you can?t discount that, but if we get the guy we saw finish up last season he will be worth this deal. His stats are actually pretty damn good all things considered, especially his pass rushing.

Walker is similar in that he is a leader and communicator in the secondary. I also think he is extremely reliable. Not gonna make a ton of flash plays, but he always does his job. That?s why they got playmakers in Kerby and CGJ.

I get it. It's a combination of years of disappointment and shattered expectations.

That being said, I think this is the real deal. Unless some catastrophic injury bug hits.....I'll be very disappointed with 8 wins.

I get it. It's a combination of years of disappointment and shattered expectations.

That being said, I think this is the real deal. Unless some catastrophic injury bug hits.....I'll be very disappointed with 8 wins.

What's great to see is that even if we do have a disappointing 2023 season, they have laid the foundation for a quality franchise for years to come. They have stockpiled young talent on cheap deals. They have stockpiled picks. They seem to get managing their cap situation very well. They've got a coach the players respect and love to play for.

It's set up to be competitive for multiple years. Now getting to or winning a Super Bowl is the goal, and that's not where we can say we're headed, and getting over that last hump is hard. But I do think contender is the direction we're heading and I think at a minimum that means winning multiple playoff games in the near future, which is something completely foreign to Lions fans who have seen 1 playoff win in 1993 in our entire lifetimes.

This seems like it's real this time, and the hope isn't built on 1 or 2 star players, but on a solid foundation of a good core and sound managerial decisions. I don't even know what it would be like if the Lions became a regular contender, the experience would be so new.

I'm thinking 10 or 11, We're all getting old I think it's safe to start sipping the blue koolaid. Still got 4 of the top 59 picks coming up to. lots to be optimistic about with the Lions for 2023. Div should be ours to lose IMO. I may have try to get tickets for one game this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 503
Division 5-1 again (Bears better, Pack same or little worse depends on Love and Vikings a little worse)
NFC South 2-2 (Carolina and Atlanta both in Detroit). Could be 3-1 with Tampa struggles and now Baker instead of Brady
AFC West 2-2 (Vegas and Denver). Could be 3-1 if we beat Chargers too. KC game could be in KC or Germany
Seattle win this time but their team is solid if Geno repeats 2022
at Balt loss (depends on Lamar maybe)
at Dallas loss (still really good defense and solid offense)

That would be 10-12 wins

Lions still going to have to execute. Nothing is easy. Seems like the weak divisions get a little stronger right before we play them. AFC East and NFC East were garbage 2021 then they got good. Now NFC South might do the same like NFC East. AFC West still good 2 and 2 bad but Raiders/Broncos have improved from last year too.

Lions sign Jalen Reeves Mabin. Special teams ace replacing Board who replaced him

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...iate-halapoulivaati-vaitais-contract#comments

Vaitai restrucutres/pay cut/void

Free agent in 2024 now with 3.9 in dead 2024 money but Lions save 7.4 million in 2023 cap space

Room for DJ Chark? Or another trade. Ed Oliver is on the trade block. Now if Holmes does that would be amazing. Bears interested in Oliver too

Overthecap has them at 26 million in space (appears everyone is accounted for now too). Not sure how much the draft will eat into that, but they still have quite a bit of money to play around with.

Back