Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

His base salary. I read that he restructured most of it to bonuses.

From an article.

Over The Cap breaks down the new contract like this:

$2 million base salary (down from $14.5 million)
$7 million signing bonus for the new contract, spread out evenly between 2023 and 2024, which is an added void year
$3.5 million in dead cap room for 2024
$500,000 roster bonus

The signing bonus was already there and the void year, that wasnt part of this. He took some small incentives LTBE it wasn't a restructure (500K). It was a pay cut.

They did not move any roster bonus or salary into a different type of bonus which is a normal restructure.

9 million pay cut for 500K in incentives. Massive cap savings.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...ive-9-million-pay-cut-detroit-lions-cap-space

Last edited:
Best quote I've seen about the Lions off season......from Lions beat writer Jeremy Reisman.

"The Detroit Lions list of "NEEDS" is getting awfully small".

The signing bonus was already there and the void year, that wasnt part of this. He took some small incentives LTBE it wasn't a restructure (500K). It was a pay cut.

They did not move any roster bonus or salary into a different type of bonus which is a normal restructure.

9 million pay cut for 500K in incentives. Massive cap savings.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023...ive-9-million-pay-cut-detroit-lions-cap-space

I think the $500K game bonuses are per game played. 17 * $500k= $8.5M That makes more sense to me.

I think the $500K game bonuses are per game played. 17 * $500k= $8.5M That makes more sense to me.

Nope. 500K is the total. Not per game

If it was 500K likely to be earned per game, his cap hit would still have to include that 8.5 million

But it is only 500K total

Romeo did us a big solid (also missed most of 2021 and half 2022) so he kind of owes the Lions (after they gave him 13 per a season, 3 years 39 million to not play)

Last edited:
Nope. 500K is the total. Not per game

If it was 500K likely to be earned per game, his cap hit would still have to include that 8.5 million

But it is only 500K total

Romeo did us a big solid (also missed most of 2021 and half 2022) so he kind of owes the Lions (after they gave him 13 per a season, 3 years 39 million to not play)

If that's the case, he's stupid or has a bad agent

I'm still failing to see why people like Wilson so much. To me, he looks like a 2nd round pick. He looks like he's playing at half speed most of the time and is really stiff with his movements. He is not an upgrade over what we have.

I hope Seattle or Arizona fall in love with him.

I agree... even in his highlights Wilson is late and slow to get off the ball. Dude is powerful... but that's not really going to work in the nfl if that's the only thing you can do.

With what we did in FA... id be OK if holmes traded up for Will Anderson. Probably need to go up to ARI pick.

Last edited:
If that's the case, he's stupid or has a bad agent

His other option was probably getting cut and not having a market to pay him anymore than that anyways. He's got strong family ties in Michigan... not to mention his brother.

Fuck it. Why make all this cap room if we're not going to use it? Sign Calais Campbell.

Fuck it. Why make all this cap room if we're not going to use it? Sign Calais Campbell.

Think we did with CGJ

Still have draft pick to count, top 53, PS, IR and some buffer

Don't see Moseley, CJ Moore or Glasgow counting against that 18 million number yet either.

DT would go draft for long term and Cominsky and Paschal can both move inside too. Cominsky does well there I would say. McNeil and Buggs for running downs and more size.

Would like DJ Chark back really for good WR weapon options. St Brown great but putting it all on Jameson for intermediate and deeper is tough. He needs to step up but they don't just use Jameson at the X spot. Slot and Z too. But maybe the draft will be enough at WR too.

Think we did with CGJ

Still have draft pick to count, top 53, PS, IR and some buffer

Don't see Moseley, CJ Moore or Glasgow counting against that 18 million number yet either.

DT would go draft for long term and Cominsky and Paschal can both move inside too. Cominsky does well there I would say. McNeil and Buggs for running downs and more size.

Would like DJ Chark back really for good WR weapon options. St Brown great but putting it all on Jameson for intermediate and deeper is tough. He needs to step up but they don't just use Jameson at the X spot. Slot and Z too. But maybe the draft will be enough at WR too.

Alot of the top WRs in this class are smaller guys 5'11 and under. Flowers, Smith ngiba, Addison, downs, Dell, Rice.

Quentin Johnson is the only true X in the draft and decent chance he doesn't make it to 18. Jalin hyatt maybe cause of his speed but he's only 6'0'' and skinny as hell.

Alot of the top WRs in this class are smaller guys 5'11 and under. Flowers, Smith ngiba, Addison, downs, Dell, Rice.

Quentin Johnson is the only true X in the draft and decent chance he doesn't make it to 18. Jalin hyatt maybe cause of his speed but he's only 6'0'' and skinny as hell.

Agree it is not a good class for X WR other than Johnston. Which is why I want Chark back. Would shy away normally given his ankle, but the offense did well with him in there. Got to be the right price of course

Heck we could get Vaitai to give us a pay cut now that they are handing out pay cuts. Glasgow is breathing down his neck for a cut and could start. Want to keep both for great depth though

I agree... even in his highlights Wilson is late and slow to get off the ball. Dude is powerful... but that's not really going to work in the nfl if that's the only thing you can do.

With what we did in FA... id be OK if holmes traded up for Will Anderson. Probably need to go up to ARI pick.

I'm all about that trade up for Anderson...or Carter if he can convince Holmes he isn't the lazy, anti-team trouble maker that some think he is now.

Posted a mock on the previous page with a link but nobody saw it. Lol

I'm all about that trade up for Anderson...or Carter if he can convince Holmes he isn't the lazy, anti-team trouble maker that some think he is now.

Posted a mock on the previous page with a link but nobody saw it. Lol

If we can get the 3rd pick for 6, a 2nd and 6th to get Anderson. Then get Quentin Johnston at 18. I'm buying a holmes jersey.

Reactions: 503
Here is my best guess where our cap currently stands

Overthecap has us at 26.7mil in cap space with Romeo?s pay cut today. The below players contract structure have not been released, even though we have the values.

Emmanuel Moseley (1 year, 6mil)
Graham Glasgow (1 year up to 4.5mil)
CJ Moore (2 years, 4.5mil)
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson (1 year, 8mil)

The Lions likely have added void year to CGJ and Moseley, and maybe even Graham Glasgow. My best guess on their year 1 cap hits

Emmanuel Moseley - Year 1 cap hit of 2.5mil
Graham Glasgow - Year 1 cap hit of 2.25mil
CJ Moore - Year 1 cap hit of 2mil
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson - Year 1 cap hit of 3.5mil

That is a total of 10.25mil in cap space, but each guy pushes the lowest paid player off the top 51 which reduces that number by 3.48mil. Our cap space is currently 26.7mil, so I would say with these additions we are likely sitting around 20mil or so in space left. With another 8mil or so needed for our rookies and another 10mil or so needed for practice squad and in season moves, we have just enough space right now.

We have a chance to free up another 5-6mil with a Big V pay cut. He will not be on the roster at his current base salary. We also free up about 5mil if we trade Okudah, which is looking like a possibility (I personally hope that doesn?t happen).

Regardless we have about 6-8mil in cap space that we can still spend for the right player. I think a backup QB will definitely be signed, but my guess is the cost is 3mil or less. That leaves just enough money to make one more mid level signing, without needing to restructure Decker or Ragnow.

For me I hope it is DJ Chark on a reasonable deal. Below are the last 4 playersI hope we sign in FA

DJ Chark (3 years, 30mil)
Teddy Bridgewater (1 year 3mil)
Josh Woods (2 years, 3mil)
Shelby Harris (1 year, 4mil)

Last edited:
Restructured Fox for 1.6 million in room in 2023. Moving 500K to the other 3 years

Another player I would like to see us go after is OBJ. I?m sure Chark is expecting something similar and if that?s the case, I?d ride Beckham.

Back