Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

We have estimated a little more than 18 mil in cap space and need 8.3 for rookie contacts. 10mil for FAs if needed. Vatai and okwara can be dropped for more space.

Would LOVE CJ Gardner Johnson. Would completely open up the draft to take BPA at nearly every spot.

We might actually end up with Will Anderson, Christian Gonzalez, Trenton Simpson and Hendon Hooker.

Honestly, if we ended up with that draft and then maybe an IDL in the 3rd.....and finish off the draft with a HR threat RB and a 50/50 outside WR.....we would be in a VERY good spot to compete not only for the North, but the entire fucking NFC.

Would LOVE CJ Gardner Johnson. Would completely open up the draft to take BPA at nearly every spot.

We might actually end up with Will Anderson, Christian Gonzalez, Trenton Simpson and Hendon Hooker.

Honestly, if we ended up with that draft and then maybe an IDL in the 3rd.....and finish off the draft with a HR threat RB and a 50/50 outside WR.....we would be in a VERY good spot to compete not only for the North, but the entire fucking NFC.

drinking the kool aid :clap: https://tenor.com/view/kool-aid-man-gif-25718556

I look at it this way......im 44.....I've been closely following the Lions as "my team" since 1989......so 34 years. The only other time I've been able to be excited about going into a season is 1991 to the '92 season (5-11)....2012 (4-12) and 2015 (6-10).

History is not on my side, and 3 off seasons in 34 years is not often......so I am going to sip it, gulp it and bathe in it while I can. Maybe they end up 5-12......but I truly think this team has 11 or 12 win potential.....I like the coaching staff.....I like the free agency we've had so far......I even have some faith that we are going to make good picks in the upcoming draft.

We have no long term, bad, "cap killing" contracts and have all our picks in future drafts.

Say what you want about Holmes/Campbell.......but I'm not sure they could have done too much better in 2 years. They took what might have been the worst roster in football to one of the top 12 in 2 years.......with a chance to get this overall roster in the top 5 after the draft.

That's not easy to do WHILE clearing out all your bad contracts, drafting well and signing some decent free agents. Levi is their biggest failure, literally and figuratively, in 2 years.

I agree on going to get a safety. CJ GJ would be a big ticket... but he's worth it. Edmunds would be alot cheaper and a similar player to elliot who we lost. If you sign one of them id go:

6 Bijan Robinson RB
18 Quentin Johnson WR
2a Calijah Kancey DT
2b Hendon Hooker QB

FA has completely changed my mock to be offense early. If Will Anderson falls to 6 id grab him...but I think he goes 5.

Last edited:

I wonder how different the Lions "disrespectful" offer was compared to the Saints "respectful" offer?

I bet they were pretty close.

Also....this is a business.....and even though you hear it all the time.....that goes BOTH ways. I don't see many superstars getting their 2nd contracts (the big one when they're still mid 20's) giving the team that drafted them much "respect" when asking for that huge pay day.

Jamaal plays one of the most plug and play positions in ALL of sports and he isn't that physically talented. Tough runner, sure. Great guy? Absolutely. But when you combine all that and the player asks for too much......you move on.

I agree on going to get a safety. CJ GJ would be a big ticket... but he's worth it. Edmunds would be alot cheaper and a similar player to elliot who we lost. If you sign one of them id go:

6 Bijan Robinson RB
18 Quentin Johnson WR
2a Calijah Kancey DT
2b Hendon Hooker QB

FA has completely changed my mock to be offense early. If Will Anderson falls to 6 id grab him...but I think he goes 5.

Can you imagine rolling out WR trio of Quentin Johnson, Jameson Williams and Amon Ra St. Brown? That would be the best trio in football.

Then add Bijan in the backfield and maybe even Swift as a RB/slot guy??

That would be sick.

In the end we offered him more than new Orleans did so in my opinion it just makes him sound bitter. He played the game of wanting to dip his toe into FA and lost. Then got butt hurt when we had to move on cause he didn't answer in time. I don't blame the lions for that.
How do we know he was offered more?

I know I say it over and over about cap space being an excuse. How does it happen every year that we have cap space, never can sign a damn thing and teams w less cap free up money to be in better position. Either the Fords are cheap and taking advantage of this fan base or we don?t have the right personnel in the front office.

Per Saintswire - That leaves the team with approximately $17.3 million to spend ahead of the 2023 NFL draft. Take out the $3.2 million budgeted for their rookie draft class and New Orleans is left with more than $14.2 million in cap space, which ranks sixth-best around the league.

Last edited:
I know I say it over and over about cap space being an excuse. How does it happen every year that we have cap space, never can sign a damn thing and teams w less cap free up money to be in better position. Either the Fords are cheap and taking advantage of this fan base or we don?t have the right personnel in the front office.

Per Saintswire - That leaves the team with approximately $17.3 million to spend ahead of the 2023 NFL draft. Take out the $3.2 million budgeted for their rookie draft class and New Orleans is left with more than $14.2 million in cap space, which ranks sixth-best around the league.

Detroit rolled over 1 million into 2022 and 2 million this year. They are fully using the cap. And have signed/resigned plenty of people.

We dont need to sign a derek carr. We have goff

Saints are what not to do for the cap. They losy 3/4th of their dline in fa

Last edited:
Detroit rolled over 1 million into 2022 and 2 million this year. They are fully using the cap. And have signed/resigned plenty of people.

We dont need to sign a derek carr. We have goff

Saints are what not to do for the cap. They losy 3/4th of their dline in fa

So you would rather be the team that never goes out and spends. The same team who hasn?t won a playoff game since 1991. Same team who never won the NFC North. Same team that has a losing record 3/4 years.

We don?t even try to field a competitive team. When we have something good like Suh, we let him walk. Had an above average TE and traded him to save future salary. All we do is sign mid players or look for a discount on an injured player.

Works out great for the Fords. They make money on this franchise and fans like you still have hope.

Last edited:
So you would rather be the team that never goes out and spends. The same team who hasn?t won a playoff game since 1991. Same team who never won the NFC North. Same team that has a losing record 3/4 years.

We don?t even try to field a competitive team. When we have something good like Suh, we let him walk. Had an above average TE and traded him to save future salary. All we do is sign mid players or look for a discount on an injured player.

Works out great for the Fords. They make money on this franchise and fans like you still have hope.

LOL, New Orleans just signed an average QB to a big deal......and as of right now they are $121M OVER THE CAP next year. That includes a $60M hit for a WR that is as good as Kenny Golladay.

But yeah, cap doesn't matter.

The Saints are in absolute cap hell the next couple years.

Last edited:
LOL, New Orleans just signed an average QB to a big deal......and as of right now they are $121M OVER THE CAP next year. That includes a $60M hit for a WR that is as good as Kenny Golladay.

But yeah, cap doesn't matter.

The Saints are in absolute cap hell the next couple years.

Saints have been in cap hell ?next season? for how many years in a row now?

We use salary cap as an excuse for never making big slashes in free agency. We?re always set up for the future, maybe that?s why we always fucking suck in the present.

And do you really believe Michael Thomas is going to count $60mil against the cap next year? Saints don?t either!

Last edited:
Saints have been in cap hell ?next season? for how many years in a row now?

We use salary cap as an excuse for never making big slashes in free agency. We?re always set up for the future, maybe that?s why we always fucking suck in the present.

And do you really believe Michael Thomas is going to count $60mil against the cap next year? Saints don?t either!

No. Nobody does. He also has a $15M dead cap number. And he'll be 31 when the season starts and isn't good anymore.....so he's not tradeable. GREAT JOB N.O.!!!

The Saints have gone from 12-4 to 9-8 to 7-10 and you're arguing that they're fine??

You look dumber and dumber the more you argue this point. Especially using the Saints.

No. Nobody does. He also has a $15M dead cap number. And he'll be 31 when the season starts and isn't good anymore.....so he's not tradeable. GREAT JOB N.O.!!!

The Saints have gone from 12-4 to 9-8 to 7-10 and you're arguing that they're fine??

You look dumber and dumber the more you argue this point. Especially using the Saints.

What sounds dumb is you bringing up their record during that span. 2/3 winning seasons w 28 wins and a playoff win. Lions 1/3 winning seasons, 17 total wins and ZERO playoffs appearance.

Saints regularly field competitive football teams. Lions regularly draft in the top 10. Don?t worry though, we?ll roll over money next year and the future will be bright! Hahaha

Lions havent been rolling over much money though. Sooooooo. You are just not paying attention
Romeo, tracy walker, brockers, vaitai, goff, dj chark, charles harris, jamaal williams, are the vets they decided to pay last few years. Now sutton, moseley, anzalone, david montgomery, glasgow

They arent being cheap. And lions are on the upswing and flush with draft capital

Just saw Lions have come to an agreement with him. 1yr/8m

Last edited:
Lions havent been rolling over much money though. Sooooooo. You are just not paying attention
Romeo, tracy walker, brockers, vaitai, goff, dj chark, charles harris, jamaal williams, are the vets they decided to pay last few years. Now sutton, moseley, anzalone, david montgomery, glasgow

They arent being cheap. And lions are on the upswing and flush with draft capital

I never said how much we roll over just the simple fact we do it EVERY YEAR. It?s a sign of a cheap owner.

Every player you mentioned are mid-tier players. The one that was over $20+mil required the team to send out future picks and a higher salary. We have all this cap flexibility year after year but never make a splash in free agency.

We do have one position we have that?s the highest paid and that?s are fn punter. Trash

Just saw Lions have come to an agreement with him. 1yr/8m

Hell yeah!!! I like this signing a lot! One of the players I mentioned of wanting.

Now let?s go aggressively after Wagner!

Last edited:
Back