Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

CGJ has a void year so 1 year 8 million is actually 1 year 6.5 with incentives (that will hit 2024 cap if he hits them of 1.5) and with void year for 4 million signing bonus it is only 4.5 million cap hit (1.5 base and 2 million of signing) only for him

Mike Disner is a great cap guy

CGJ has a void year so 1 year 8 million is actually 1 year 6.5 with incentives (that will hit 2024 cap if he hits them of 1.5) and with void year for 4 million signing bonus it is only 4.5 million cap hit (1.5 base and 2 million of signing) only for him

Mike Disner is a great cap guy

I hate void years. How much do we have wrapped up in dead cap now in 2024? $8M?

Overthecap has them at 26 million in space (appears everyone is accounted for now too). Not sure how much the draft will eat into that, but they still have quite a bit of money to play around with.

Draft is usually $11-12M, then they'll need a couple $million for reserves/injuries etc. So they legit might be signing another big name. Crazy.

Draft is usually $11-12M, then they'll need a couple $million for reserves/injuries etc. So they legit might be signing another big name. Crazy.

12 million or so but then other players at 900K or 1 million drop off as the draft picks sign from counting to top 51 so about 8 million of extra space used from current. And yes need that buffer IR and PS (1 million) and top 53 (extra 2 million)

But they have room for another bigger move or two. Especially if they keep doing the low cap hit despite a larger deal. Trade for someone probably need to give them a new deal

I hate void years. How much do we have wrapped up in dead cap now in 2024? $8M?

We only added about 4mil of dead cap space in 2024 this off-season. Most of Vaita's number, Okwara and Harris all already had dead cap hits in 2024 totaling close to 8mil. Altogether it is a little over 12mil, which is peanuts compared to most.

Just FYI, we have a little over 86mil in cap space for 2024. That is with only 25 players on the roster though. I would use the 2 year vet minimum to average out the cap hits, but if we numped that up to 53 players to get an effective cap space that brings us closer to 60mil in available cap space. Once you factor in our rookie contracts from this year, you are now sitting at around 50mil.

We have a few potential cap savings through cuts/trades as well like Decker (9.8mil savings), Goff (27mil savings), Walker (5.5mil savings), Cominsky, and Buggs (2.3mil savings). Goff would depend on whether they draft a QB at 6 this year. The rest would depends on their performance this season.

We also have a ton of notable FA's and would still pick up Okudah's option for 2024.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2024/all/detroit-lions//

Overall I would say we are in pretty good shape salary cap wise right now.

Lions voids for Moseley, CBJ, Vaitai, Romeo and Chares Harris don't kill the cap at all in 2024. Like 1811 said, plenty of cap space. Same with Decker and Walker voids in 2025. Same with Anzalone, Sutton, Montgomery voids for 2026 rightn now. Nobody on the roster in 2026 other than Hutch/Jameson 5th year and Ragnow/Jack Fox and icoming 2023, 2024, 2025 draft picks right now but tons of cap space. Pending re-signs of course too and 2024/2025 FA.

Lions have alot of cap space in 2024. Room to re-sign Jonah Jackson, St Brown (not necessary still signed through 2024), Swift (maybe depending on health and asking price), Moseley (depends on how he plays and health) and CGJ (would love to re-sign him). Walker, Cominksy and Buggs need to play well to stick around too.

Last edited:
Fuck it... go swoop in for D Hop.

I honestly think at this point we're 1 or 2 pieces away from being the best team in the nfc.

Trade for dhop... sign Chark if you don't get him.

Trade up for Will Anderson

Take calijah kancey at 18.

Poof... championship

Last edited:

I honestly think at this point we're 1 or 2 pieces away from being the best team in the nfc.

Poof... championship

Lol. We're not even two pieces away from a good defense.

LOL yes we are. 3 tech and cover LB.

Hutch, Cominsky/Paschal, McNeil, Houston at SAM, need a 3 tech. Great depth at EDGE too with Romeo and Harris. Add a good 3 tech and it is complete. Scary depth if Onwuzurike had miraculous health and lived up to his draft potential too and Buggs at NT.

Solid LBs, could use an upgrade here at cover LB though but Rodriguez was solid in his rookie year (which typically is when you get the most jump in year 2) and AA very good second half and knows the defense/green dot guy. They can be the starting LBs on a top 10 defense and plenty of picks to add a cover LB.

Sutton, Moseley, CGJ, Walker and Joseph with Okudah/Harris and Jacobs as depth. Secondary is a big strength when you have your starters from last year as depth.

Lions already have a top 5 offense and unleash Jameson now. Full X WR a need though and Chark is sitting there. DHop depends on the asking price and contract, getting older as well.

Holmes is building something and has plenty of draft capital to keep building for the long term.

Look, I get we've all been hurt before by this team. Many of the guys on this board are Gen Xers who have been watching for 40 years or more, and there are some that go back even further. I've watched this franchise be an abject failure since the Billy Sims era.

But honest question: Do you even like this team? Every single take is crazy negative. If it's a matter of "I don't want to get my hopes up.", I get it. But it's coming across like you're rooting for failure. It's a downer, man.

Poof... championship

It honestly would not shock me if we traded for a guy like Hopkins. Our WR is extremely cheap and will be for the next two seasons. We can afford to pay Hopkins for a couple years before we are ready to extend St. Brown. His trade cost is likely to be very reasonable, maybe even as low at 81.

This team is officially a legit SB contender and Holmes comes from a place that isn?t afriad to be aggressive. A player like Hopkins turns this WR group into the best in the NFL. Yes even better than Chase/Higgins/Boyd.

Obviously Hopkins has to want to come here, the draft compensation has to be reasonable and his contract has to be team friendly.

My suggestion

Trade #81 for Hopkins. Maybe you throw in a 6th on top, but I would not trade our 2nd.

Rip up his old deal and sign him to a 2 year deal with two void years.

2 years, 32mil with 12 million signing bonus, 15mil in total guarantees

Year 1 - 5mil base fully guaranteed, 8mil year 1 cap hit

Year 2 - 15mil base salary, 18mil cap hit

Year 3 - 3mil dead money

Year 4 - 3mil dead money

If he is looking for 20mil+ AAV at his age then I?d pass, but he is still a legit #1 WR.

Hopkins has 34 million left in salary over 2 years Not guaranteed but if he is unhappy with 2 years 34 million, new team is going to need to pay him a big more. Probably 18-19 per with a good-sized signing bonus. He will be 31 this season and 32 next. Still a good player though

Oruwariye signed with the Giants. I don't know what happened to him last year, he was brutal. 1 year deal

Hopefully we have good strip clubs.

Certified Vanilla King
@MrCorrie
?
7h
Sources say Bobby Wagner was seen leaving Legends Gentleman club in Downtown Detroit last night.

Would you:

Ari gets pick 6, both lions 2nd rd picks, pick 81

Det gets pick 3 and DeAndre hopkins.

It honestly would not shock me if we traded for a guy like Hopkins. Our WR is extremely cheap and will be for the next two seasons. We can afford to pay Hopkins for a couple years before we are ready to extend St. Brown. His trade cost is likely to be very reasonable, maybe even as low at 81.

This team is officially a legit SB contender and Holmes comes from a place that isn?t afriad to be aggressive. A player like Hopkins turns this WR group into the best in the NFL. Yes even better than Chase/Higgins/Boyd.

Obviously Hopkins has to want to come here, the draft compensation has to be reasonable and his contract has to be team friendly.

My suggestion

Trade #81 for Hopkins. Maybe you throw in a 6th on top, but I would not trade our 2nd.

Rip up his old deal and sign him to a 2 year deal with two void years.

2 years, 32mil with 12 million signing bonus, 15mil in total guarantees

Year 1 - 5mil base fully guaranteed, 8mil year 1 cap hit

Year 2 - 15mil base salary, 18mil cap hit

Year 3 - 3mil dead money

Year 4 - 3mil dead money

If he is looking for 20mil+ AAV at his age then I?d pass, but he is still a legit #1 WR.

Considering Hopkins age and more recent production.

1. Chase
2. Higgins
3. Hopkins
4. St Brown
5. Boyd
6. J Williams (1 NFL catch on 9 targets)

J Williams could be better than Boyd...but we don't know yet.

Back