Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2024 MLB All-Star Game July 16 8:00 PM ET. Fox

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

The best baseball players may have been present at the All-Star game, but those in charge of planning the event certainly weren’t.
With each year, this event keeps losing more and more of its luster and relevance. Part of it due to obscuring the joy of the game with multiple bits of fluff and filler, thus diluting its purpose and significance.
We saw that misguided attempt create the need to hunt for the articles and results after the game the next day. Even most of the sports sites didn’t have the write up anywhere near the top of their reports.

But this year took the cake in creating so many cringe-worthy moments. Moments that mostly had nothing to do with a celebration of the actual game.
Here are my top 5 “What were they thinking???” moments.

FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

The best baseball players may have been present at the All-Star game, but those in charge of planning the event certainly weren’t.
With each year, this event keeps losing more and more of its luster and relevance ...
I do not approve of her slagging Jose Felicano's rendition of Our National Anthem. I thought it was authentic though unconventional. And I "love" the "empathy" that she extended to Ingrid Andress. Very touching. I agree with the rest of her content in this blog. There was little need to "hype" the ASG at one time. Now that it needs an artificial dose of excitement, it's lost its allure for me.

I used to watch the All-Star Game and the Home Run Derby every year, but I didn't watch any of it this year. I saw a lot of memes about the national anthem though. I heard she check into rehab because she was drunk.

I also saw they had some sort of red carpet event where all the All-Stars entered the stadium, which I'd say is corny lol.

I ran a Twitter poll on the afternoon of Tuesday’s All-Star Game, asking how much of it people were planning to watch. There were four options, and the results strongly suggested that the Midsummer Classic — this year’s was the 95th — isn’t nearly the attraction it once was. Only 19% of respondents selected “all,” while another 15.9% went with “most.” The lesser-interest options fared much better. “Some” garnered 29.4% of the votes cast, and “none” topped the poll with 35.7%.

Viewership numbers were nothing to write home about. Per the Associated Press, “This year’s All-Stars drew 7,443,000 viewers on Fox, up 6% from the 2023 game but the second lowest for the event.” Moreover, the “3.8 rating and 12 share were down from a 3.9/12 last year.”

None of this is surprising. For a variety of reasons — inter-league play and regular access to most every game/team/player are the primary ones — the game has clearly lost much of its luster. The days of Pete Rose running over Ray Fosse (in 1970) and Carl Hubbell striking out five consecutive Hall of Famers he’d never before faced (1934) are long gone. As B.B. King famously sang, the thrill is gone.

Fangraphs

Back