Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2024 Trade Deadline

Detroit Tigers add reliever Troy Watson in trade with Blue Jays for cash considerations.
Freep

Watson, 27, posted an 8.61 ERA with 30 walks and 48 strikeouts across 46 innings in 26 games with Triple-A Buffalo. His four-seam fastball averaged 95.1 mph and maxed out at 98 mph.
He also throws a sweeper, cutter, sinker and changeup. His sweeper generated a 24.4% whiff rate, the best mark among the four pitches he throws the most.
Watson has spent six seasons in the minor leagues, posting a 4.32 ERA across 262⅓ innings.
He has struggled with command issues.

SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Earlier this week, the Detroit Tigers traded 4 players – Mark Canha, Andrew Chafin, Jack Flaherty and Carson Kelly.
Canha split time equally between playing 1B and DH. Matt Vierling and newly-called up Ryan Vilade are expected to handle the position going forward.
Chafin is LH reliever. The Tigers have 4 other lefties in their pen, having called up 2 rookies.
Kelly was the #2 catcher. Rookie Dillon Dingler was called up to replace him.
Flaherty was #2 in the Tigers’ starting rotation. It’s unclear who will replace him.

The 3 rookies called up now join 7 other recently called up rookies.
As Scott Harris promised, the young guys have to play. It’s the only way to determine if they are going to be part of the future and the desired core.

So how do you feel now that some experienced players have been traded and rookies are starting to take over more of the lineup?
What feelings best describe your approach to the rest of the year?

1. Looking forward to seeing what the rookies can do.

2. Anxious about the possibility that the team's performance will deteriorate.

VOTE

SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

Earlier this week, the Detroit Tigers traded 4 players – Mark Canha, Andrew Chafin, Jack Flaherty and Carson Kelly.
Canha split time equally between playing 1B and DH. Matt Vierling and newly-called up Ryan Vilade are expected to handle the position going forward.
Chafin is LH reliever. The Tigers have 4 other lefties in their pen, having called up 2 rookies.
Kelly was the #2 catcher. Rookie Dillon Dingler was called up to replace him.
Flaherty was #2 in the Tigers’ starting rotation. It’s unclear who will replace him.

The 3 rookies called up now join 7 other recently called up rookies.
As Scott Harris promised, the young guys have to play. It’s the only way to determine if they are going to be part of the future and the desired core.

So how do you feel now that some experienced players have been traded and rookies are starting to take over more of the lineup?

1. Looking forward to seeing what the rookies can do.

2. Anxious about the possibility that the team's performance will deteriorate.

VOTE
I'm not interested in any of the rookies that they called up outside of Dingler. I'm not anxious about the possibility that the team's performance will deteriorate, I know it will. I am anxious to see if Scott Harris can actually add some decent players this off season and put a competitive team on the field.

I'm not interested in any of the rookies that they called up outside of Dingler. I'm not anxious about the possibility that the team's performance will deteriorate, I know it will. I am anxious to see if Scott Harris can actually add some decent players this off season and put a competitive team on the field.
It will most depend on who he brings back. The BP for the most part needs a retool. McKinstry, Gio, Vierling - if any of those 3 are kept it will be a fail.

I wouldn't mind if they bring back Vierling as a utility player.
Like play him once a week. The only reason his average numbers says he's even a little good because the rest of the team blows. If he's in the OF, or at 3B - the team has just given up then.

I wouldn't mind if they bring back Vierling as a utility player.
I truly believe AJ(I believe he has more input in signings than we think) would start 9 Vierling's if he could. He puts WAY too much stock in being versatile. Even before all the injuries, I remember he'd make a late game replacement and shift 3 other guys to positions they hadn't been playing 7 innings already. The guy just likes to over manage.

Hinch might be saying he favors versatile players because he knows these are the players they are going to sign for him to manage. Who knows? all speculation, but to give the rookies and young players a chance to play and see what they have seems to be more failure than success. There should be a blend of youth and stars or at least .280 .290 plus hitters that know how to play. Starting 4 or 5 players under the Mendoza line of barely over it is not a winning team. I will be surprised if they win more than 69 games for the year.

Motor City Metrics Tigers Podcast: The Detroit Tigers head into the Dog Days of Summer. 71 minutes.
The guys discuss Scott Harris's comments on 97.1 the Ticket, the roster heading into the Royals series and the upcoming west coast trip.

JP Piccolo Executive VP and GM of the royals grabbed 2 98-100 mph power relievers. Know what Scott Harris did, pushed the ball down the road 2 more years.

DEEPER DISCUSSIONS.
Totally Tigers

Now that the trade deadline is over, the Tigers’ roster is changing. They no longer have Jack Flaherty, Andrew Chafin, Mark Canha and Carson Kelly.
They have replaced all these players with the exception of Flaherty. Those called up are all rookies. All of them will be platooning with veterans, at least at first.

Earlier in the year, the lack of offense was deemed by fans to be the biggest concern. But is this still the case?
Colt Keith, Matt Vierling, Andy Ibanez and Justin-Henry Malloy have (or have just started) to take off. Kerry Carpenter, Riley Greene and Parker Meadows are expected back shortly.
The team has raised both their BA and OPS but they are still closer to the bottom of MLB than the top. Injuries to some of their top hitters have been a big factor.

The starting rotation took a big hit with the loss of Flaherty and a number of pitchers now on the IL. Casey Mize will not return until September at the earliest. Reese Olson should be back at some point in August.
Kenta Maeda was moved to the bullpen and replaced by Keider Montero. Beau Brieske and Tyler Holton have done some short starts.
Matt Manning is on the IL now and cannot be called up. The Tigers are emphatic that Jackson Jobe will not see Detroit until he has gained experience in Toledo.
There is however, Tarik Skubal, a huge factor and leading candidate for this year’s Cy Young.

On Thursday, Scott Harris met with A. J. Hinch to determine how to reconfigure the starting rotation.
Which one of these areas – starting pitching or offense – do you believe is the biggest concern for the rest of this year?

Today’s blog addresses this question and allows readers to share their thoughts in more detail. And hopefully, to actively engage with others by responding to their posts and creating back-and-forth discussion threads. The more the merrier!
For this one blog only, you’ve got 6 sentences max to share your thoughts. Of course, you can also respond to other readers.
TT will supply the ammunition. One thought-provoking question. Several options provided. One hard choice to be selected. One vote.
Ready?

For the rest of this year, which part of the Tigers concerns you the most?

1. Offense

2. Starting pitching

VOTE

Having to use AJ Hinch to justify terrible FO decisions makes me sad and angry, and it likely makes him feel sad and angry. I bet the October organizational meetings are gonna be very ugly for some front office personnel.

MONDAY MUSINGS: POST-TRADE DEADLINE EDITION.
Totally Tigers

Back