Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2024 Trade Deadline

That's the gist of it.. Harris fault or Mike I.? If Mike I. doesn't want money spent there is probably not much Harris can do. I remember when Big I. took over he didn't spend money either.
The father poured money into the Red Wings for years and then started with the Tigers with Pudge iirc. It usually starts at the top.
But a shrewd billionaire wants a PoBo who will do his bidding so imo we will see more bargain basement deals. This plan to have all young players with a pipeline for ML talent sounds fishy to me. How many of these players are going to make it to Detroit?
Like I said before, I am very tired of this f'n ownership and the way the team has stagnated below .500 for years.

The father poured money into the Red Wings for years and then started with the Tigers with Pudge iirc. It usually starts at the top.
But a shrewd billionaire wants a PoBo who will do his bidding so imo we will see more bargain basement deals. This plan to have all young players with a pipeline for ML talent sounds fishy to me. How many of these players are going to make it to Detroit?
Like I said before, I am very tired of this f'n ownership and the way the team has stagnated below .500 for years.
Yes the Wings but ininially he spent crap on the Tigers even saying to the effect of "when they show improvement I'll spend." He eventually did but early on he was like his son, no money spent.

I think having a "pipeline" for ML talent is a great idea. A strong farm system will lead to sustained success. That said, I think you can supplement the major league roster with free agents while developing a good minor league system. You don't have to do one or the other. You don't have to sign all star caliber free agents in order to put a respectable product on the field.

I think having a "pipeline" for ML talent is a great idea. A strong farm system will lead to sustained success. That said, I think you can supplement the major league roster with free agents while developing a good minor league system. You don't have to do one or the other. You don't have to sign all star caliber free agents in order to put a respectable product on the field.
He tried with one, Javy. It failed. Then you need to have players want to come and play for Detroit. That can be tricky.

He tried with one, Javy. It failed. Then you need to have players want to come and play for Detroit. That can be tricky.
He was an all star caliber FA. Signing the wrong one (like Javy) can cripple the franchise. That's not the kind they should be looking at. Just solid free agents to supplement the roster. This off season they should sign 5 free agents. 2 starting pitchers and 3 position players. Not all stars, just find some slightly above average players to short term deals.

He was an all star caliber FA. Signing the wrong one (like Javy) can cripple the franchise. That's not the kind they should be looking at. Just solid free agents to supplement the roster. This off season they should sign 5 free agents. 2 starting pitchers and 3 position players. Not all stars, just find some slightly above average players to short term deals.
You assume that so many players want to come to Detroit. Above average players on short term deals, Detroit or say NY or LA or Houston or a number of other teams. Why would they come here instead of all those other places? So we'd have to overpay and I'm not sure Mike I. wants to overpay. Detroit has had the same problem they always have had, getting good players here as free agents.

You assume that so many players want to come to Detroit. Above average players on short term deals, Detroit or say NY or LA or Houston or a number of other teams. Why would they come here instead of all those other places? So we'd have to overpay and I'm not sure Mike I. wants to overpay. Detroit has had the same problem they always have had, getting good players here as free agents.
there are always players out there that are looking for an opportunity to play. I'm not talking about really good players...just not bottom of the barrel guys. The Tigers may have to over pay a little, but that's just part of being a mid sized market. Also, the really good teams like NY, LA, and Houston, don't necessarily have room for the above average type players that I am talking about. Look at some of the free agents that were having a hard time finding a home last year. The players are out there. It's up to Harris and Co to identify them and get them signed.

there are always players out there that are looking for an opportunity to play. I'm not talking about really good players...just not bottom of the barrel guys. The Tigers may have to over pay a little, but that's just part of being a mid sized market. Also, the really good teams like NY, LA, and Houston, don't necessarily have room for the above average type players that I am talking about. Look at some of the free agents that were having a hard time finding a home last year. The players are out there. It's up to Harris and Co to identify them and get them signed.
They signed one who did well, Flaherty. Signed another who hasn't, Maeda. I know its all a toss up when it comes to free agents like this but I also think part of the problem is Hinch. I assume he has say on the roster but I don't understand why some guys were brought back, like McKinstry. After last season he should never have been an option, and if he's here next season I'm going to revolt.

I also think they need to make moves sooner, if Meadows and Tork are options next season and they struggle early get rid of them. Move on. This team takes forever to do things.. And I have my doubts Carp plays again.. Those back injuries can a fk a person up. That and the every year injuries by our best pos. player Greene. Mize is about done. Hopefully they're not messing with Olsen's injury.

And this "It's up to Harris and Co to identify them and get them signed." Thus the problem.

Harris/AJ have a type. Players that have decent walk rates and can play sub par defense at multiple positions. Until they actually start looking at guys that actually make hard contact with the ball, they'll continue to have a crap lineup.

2024 MLB Trade Deadline Timeline: A year removed from deadline disaster, Scott Harris gets his Dodgers deal. Good info.
Scott Harris dealt away four MLB players — all new to the team in 2024 — while acquiring eight total minor-leaguers.
BYBTB

I've been reading a lot from Tigers fans on the deadline trades, some are unhappy and some are happy. I think its blown out of proportion that everyone thinks they got shit.

Sometimes we have opinions on things and I always hear, "they know more than us." But apparently it doesn't apply to these trades like we sudden know what fair value is. And we know more than them. I guarentee not one person here, at this point in time, knows if these players are bad or good. And then you apparently have the issues with Flaherty's back which at least scared one team away.

No. I don't think he is to blame. Look at what he has to manage.
Like playing McKinstry most of the season. No one is to blame but him. Never having a consistent lineup through much of the season, sometimes Greene is leadoff, or batting 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th etc. Hinch might not be the biggest problem but he is a problem.

I've been reading a lot from Tigers fans on the deadline trades, some are unhappy and some are happy. I think its blown out of proportion that everyone thinks they got shit.

Sometimes we have opinions on things and I always hear, "they know more than us." But apparently it doesn't apply to these trades like we sudden know what fair value is. And we know more than them. I guarentee not one person here, at this point in time, knows if these players are bad or good. And then you apparently have the issues with Flaherty's back which at least scared one team away.
He's had 2 deadlines. He blew last years so bad that I'm certain it's carried over in fans opinion of this one.

Back