Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2024 Trade Deadline

Dodgers Acquire Jack Flaherty from Tigers.
MLBTR

Projecting prospects is tricky business, which is why I defer to the experts. But compared to the returns for Trevor Rogers and Yusei Kikuchi, the Tigers’ side of this trade feels underwhelming. At any rate, the first-place Dodgers have significantly bolstered their rotation as they look to return to the World Series for the first time in four years.

As for Detroit, the decision to trade Canha feels straightforward. They’ve fallen out of the playoff race, but they didn’t want to trade Tarik Skubal (rightfully so, in my opinion). That means the only thing left to do is send out players on expiring contracts and get whatever you can for them. Canha fits that bill, and he was never going to command a huge haul, so they took what they could and moved on.

Silva is an interesting prospect, though his value is capped thanks to a switch to the bullpen last year. He needed it; a high-effort delivery means he can touch the upper 90s despite a diminutive frame, but he struggled with strike throwing in A-ball. He’s a full-time reliever in Double-A this year, and while his walk rates still aren’t pretty, he’s striking out 30% of opponents to make up for it. He has good secondary stuff and is still only 21. He might be a whiff-reliant multi-inning reliever in the majors; he was logging two-inning stints fairly often for the Giants. He’s somewhere on the 35+/40 FV borderline.

Fangraphs

The Tigers got Thayron Liranzo and Trey Sweeney for Jack Flaherty. The Blue Jays got Jake Bloss, Joey Loperfido and Will Wagner for Yusei Kikuchi.
What if I told you the Tigers could've accepted the Kikuchi return but Scott Harris passed in search of a better return?
Freep

Today the Dodgers reportedly acquired RHP Jack Flaherty ($9.3M surplus trade value) from the Tigers in exchange for C Thayron Liranzo ($17.4M) and IF Trey Sweeney ($2.2M).The deal is rejected by our model as an overpay by Los Angeles.
Baseball Trade Values

When you hire an online poker player to play in the World Series of Poker, and he gets his ass handed to him consistently, somehow this seems like the story of Scott Harris and his tenure building a baseball team. I just need another year, we are so so so so so so close.
Tigers fans have been down the 'hey our prospects are great we are gonna win soon' road before, like for 9 years. It kind of rings hollow.

Scott Harris “ (Jobe) will go to triple A before he goes to Detroit”.
translation..I am manipulating his service time. we suck. why not get the extra year.

Prediction on the Rotation for the rest of the year, Skubal, Bullpen(Until Olson comes back), Sammons, Montero, Lockhart/Hurter(Call Up)?
Or, Skubal, Montero, waiver claim pretend it's Mize until it is Mize, Sammons, Lael Lockhart, waiver claim, 3 bullpen days in a row, Skubal, different waiver claim, 2 bullpen days, Montero, Mize.

I'd call up Sweeney for Mckinstry like 20 minutes ago. At triple A in the Pcl he has 13 homers 62 rbis.
16 steals 3 cs. 99 hits in 96 games. Average a tad low . .254
But that is mashing compared to a what played ss Today for Detroit.

When you hire an online poker player to play in the World Series of Poker, and he gets his ass handed to him consistently, somehow this seems like the story of Scott Harris and his tenure building a baseball team. I just need another year, we are so so so so so so close.
Tigers fans have been down the 'hey our prospects are great we are gonna win soon' road before, like for 9 years. It kind of rings hollow.

Scott Harris “ (Jobe) will go to triple A before he goes to Detroit”.
translation..I am manipulating his service time. we suck. why not get the extra year.

Prediction on the Rotation for the rest of the year, Skubal, Bullpen(Until Olson comes back), Sammons, Montero, Lockhart/Hurter(Call Up)?
Or, Skubal, Montero, waiver claim pretend it's Mize until it is Mize, Sammons, Lael Lockhart, waiver claim, 3 bullpen days in a row, Skubal, different waiver claim, 2 bullpen days, Montero, Mize.
They should just put K Maeda & Manning back in the rotation. Let them pitch 5-6 innings and don't even worry about winning.

I guess there is some thought that his past few teams Jack wasn't the greatest teammate. Maybe there is some hope of resigning him in the off season.
But he was a Dodger fan growing up. I'm just tired of Harris and not really having a timeline to win. When just 1 or 2 decent bats would have put us in the thick of the wildcard race.

I guess there is some thought that his past few teams Jack wasn't the greatest teammate. Maybe there is some hope of resigning him in the off season.
But he was a Dodger fan growing up. I'm just tired of Harris and not really having a timeline to win. When just 1 or 2 decent bats would have put us in the thick of the wildcard race.
I'm also sick of hearing about not wanting to sign players that are going to "block" the young guys. If the young guys are playing so well in the minors, you trade the guy that could be blocking them at the deadline. This off season I would like to see them add a few bats and of course, 2-3 more starting pitchers. They don't have to be all stars, just above average players.

They should just put K Maeda & Manning back in the rotation. Let them pitch 5-6 innings and don't even worry about winning.
My guess is if they did that both, Manning and maeda will have some sort of injury and finish the season on the disabled list or whatever they call it now.

Come Here GIF by brandon wells

When I think of Harris's approach to personnel acquisition.

My problem w/Scott Harris isn’t the trade deadlines. It’s last winter, when everyone knew some FA bats could’ve made this team at least a fringe contender, even amid a rebuild. I think he’s intentionally slow-walking this thing, cuz Big Move #1 starts the clock on his own future.

Scott is a smart young man. The problem is his boss. Claiming the rebuild is over and then selling at the trade deadline year after year. Dumping payroll and expecting fans to pay to see a AAA roster. We can drive an hour to Toledo for that.

Ilitch not feeling the need to give real financial commitment to the Tigers is going to continue to hamstring the rebuild for the foreseeable future.

Tony Paul

That's the gist of it.. Harris fault or Mike I.? If Mike I. doesn't want money spent there is probably not much Harris can do. I remember when Big I. took over he didn't spend money either.

Back