Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avila and Passed Balls/Wild Pitches

Firstbasemen are expected to come up with the throws in the dirt. Yet, the fielder is suppose to throw the ball chest high. Most throws in the dirt are awarded errors on the fielder, not the firstbaseman.

Now, I have seen catchers miss a pitch that never hit the dirt. That to me is a passed ball. I have a hard time saying a ball that hits the dirt is a passed ball.

Pass Ball = a catcher is charged with a passed ball when he fails to hold or control a legally pitched ball that, with ordinary effort, should have been maintained under his control.

Again, what is "ordinary" effort?

When a pitcher has 2 walks, a wild pitch, a passed ball and a hit (in that order) without recording an out, there obviously is an issue (control?, manager?).

I certainly hoping you are not somehow blaming Avila for the loss.

I'm not blaming Avila for anything, I'm simply pointing out an entirely valid premise at this point that he is below average, likely well below average, at picking balls.

Something that everyone seems to be missing here is also replacement level defense at catcher. What I mean by that is, say on the play last night(example alert, not meant to be factual argument!), if literally every catcher can block that ball and prevent a base runner advance than that play is below replacement level and would be scored negatively on Avila even if it was really the "pitcher's fault". If every catcher could pick it, it doesn't matter who's fault it is, Avila becomes below average. So part of this is the quality of other catchers in comparison to Avila.

So we can argue the difference between WP and PB til we are blue in the face but the fact is the only real comparison is what can the other catchers do compared to Avila.

With regard to the play last night, even if the pitch was outside (and it was) Avila still got his mitt on it (before it hit the ground I might add and without moving very much). It hit him right on the bottom of the palm and popped out towards the back. It is just an example of balls that Avila does not get his body behind and can't snag on a basis that is more frequent than most other catchers.

Last edited:
Bill Freehan

1965 20 PB 32 WP (52 per 1085.6 IP, .43 per game)

1966 3 PB 42 WP (45 per 1156.6 IP, .35 per game)

1967 16 PB 35 WP (51 per 1223.3 IP, .37 per game)

Ivan Rodriguez

1998 10 PB 51 WP (61 per 1197.3 IP, .46 per game)

1999 1 PB 45 WP (46 per 1208.3 IP, .34 per game)

2000 2 PB 21 WP (23 per 736.3 IP, .28 per game

Alex Avila

2010 6 PB 41 WP (47 per 756.6 IP, .56 per game)

2011 7 PB 56 WP (63 per 1157.0 IP, .49 per game)

2012 4 PB 11 WP (15 per 201.0 IP, .67 per game)

Gerald Laird

2008 (TEX) 6 PB 30 WP (36 per 753.0 IP, .43 per game)

2009 (DET) 9 PB 36 WP (45 per 1090.3 IP, .37 per game)

2010 (DET) 5 PB 34 WP (39 per 670.6 IP, .52 per game)

I am not comparing Avila to Freehan or Pudge, just showing how year-to-year, PB+WP can vary. The density at which the Tigers' staff throw WPs, is NOT isolated to 1 catcher. Laird and Avila's rate in 2010 is basically the same.

If a 1Ber had infielders who routinely throw to first in the dirt or wildly, I will show you a 1Ber that is one of leaders in errors. He may "scoup" up his fair share, but by sure volume dictates he is going to be credited with an occasional error.

Avila catches a staff that is wild. That wildness will create PBs and WPs. regardless who catches. Certainly some are better and some are going to be worse.

Back