Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Won't Give Discount

lp4ever41

Free agent DE Cliff Avril made it clear that he will not give the Lions a hometown discount on a long-term contract.
"There's no such thing as a hometown discount in the NFL," Avril said. "Once you can't play anymore, they're going to let you go, so you definitely have to strike gold when you can. ... You only hit free agency once or twice in your career, so you definitely have to take advantage of it." Look for Avril to be hit with the franchise tag if he can't come to agreement with the Lions over the next three weeks.

Considering how much money other teams have to throw around, does anyone still think he'll get signed? Franchise tag seems MUCH more likely right now IMO.

Someones gonna offer him a rediculous contract that we can't match. I think he's prolly gone

specialteams said:
Someones gonna offer him a rediculous contract that we can't match. I think he's prolly gone

Oh well, too bad he couldnt have had a good year with a few years left on his contract. Maybe we couldve gotten a few draft picks for him.

hoplite said:
He can still be tagged and traded for a pick or two.
+1. I don't think Mayhew just lets him walk for nothing. I could easily see a team like Jax or Buffalo offering a second for him. Maybe even more.

Yeah he's not worth a 30 million signing bonus like Charles Johnson got. Anything over that you are approaching ridiculous Julius Peppers money(42 guranteed) so no thanks. We'll see what the Lions think. KVB is old and LoJack is a free agent next year so they may want to lock one guy up.

lionskillpack said:
Yeah he's not worth a 30 million signing bonus like Charles Johnson got. Anything over that you are approaching ridiculous Julius Peppers money(42 guranteed) so no thanks. We'll see what the Lions think. KVB is old and LoJack is a free agent next year so they may want to lock one guy up.
Yep. I'd rather lock up LoJack at a fraction of the cost. If they keep Avril, then both LoJack and Young are gone in the next couple years IMO.

tag him and trade him for a 2nd.....draft Vinny Curry , keep LoJack and Young in rotation for 2012 and groom Curry.

SLICK said:
tag him and trade him for a 2nd.....draft Vinny Curry , keep LoJack and Young in rotation for 2012 and groom Curry.
+10000

At this point, I don't see Avril accepting anything less than $12 million a year. Teams have tons of cap space, and Mario Williams is gonna get a monster deal. That's only gonna raise the price for a guy like Avril. In the open market, I think gets even more than $12 million a year.

He's getting tagged.

Cliff Avril - DL - Lions

Agent Brian Mackler told the Associated Press that contract talks between free agent DE Cliff Avril and the Lions are moving "very slowly."
Avril hasn't been receptive to suggestions of a hometown discount or the franchise tag, preferring a long-term commitment from the Lions. The beat writers in Detroit now expect Avril to be tagged, even if the player would be displeased. Retaining Avril has all along been the Lions' top offseason priority.

There are no bidders before March 13. If he gets an offer he likes, he could stay. But it might be Charles Johnson money which would suck.

he'll be tagged before the 13th...the Lions want to remain in control of what happens.

mhughes0021 said:
How much is the tag for des nowadays? Fuck him...draft mercilus.

price isn't an issue...they wont let him walk for nothing in return.

Back