Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Avril Won't Give Discount

Citing two sources, the Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions will "likely" franchise tag free agent DE Cliff Avril if the sides can't agree to a long-term deal before March 5.
Teams can begin using tags on February 20. It sounds like the Lions will use the entire 15-day window between then and the March 5 franchise deadline to continue negotiations. Avril has made it clear publicly that he doesn't want the tag and is not open to a "hometown discount," so there is some potential for a standoff. The Lions just aren't willing to let him hit the market.

SLICK said:
Citing two sources, the Detroit Free Press reports that the Lions will "likely" franchise tag free agent DE Cliff Avril if the sides can't agree to a long-term deal before March 5.
Teams can begin using tags on February 20. It sounds like the Lions will use the entire 15-day window between then and the March 5 franchise deadline to continue negotiations. Avril has made it clear publicly that he doesn't want the tag and is not open to a "hometown discount," so there is some potential for a standoff. The Lions just aren't willing to let him hit the market.
Good to hear.

Is it possible to trade him now without putting the tag on him? Not sure what rules are in place regarding trades at this time, but it seems like they might want to wheel and deal now instead of waiting until they put the tag on him and potentially get stuck with the tag $$$ if no one picks him up.

I disagree with the "experts" claiming Avril is the #1 priority this offseason. I believe renegotiating Calvin is priority #1 as that saves as much if not more $$$ than Avril's contract is worth and locks up our #1 player for years to come. Plus I believe CJ actually will allow a hometown discount. Avril obviously does not care what jersey he wears so fuck him. Give me players who WANT to play for the Lions and win a Super Bowl over an over-rated DE who does little vs the run while demanding top $$$ anyday. Even if it means letting him hit FA and getting nothing in return, the Lions still gain from dropping his contract for which they can apply that money toward a new DE in FA or draft who will do just fine thanks to Suh and Fairley (hopefully) controlling double teams.

zyxt9 said:
I disagree with the "experts" claiming Avril is the #1 priority this offseason. I believe renegotiating Calvin is priority #1 as that saves as much if not more $$$ than Avril's contract is worth and locks up our #1 player for years to come. Plus I believe CJ actually will allow a hometown discount. Avril obviously does not care what jersey he wears so fuck him. Give me players who WANT to play for the Lions and win a Super Bowl over an over-rated DE who does little vs the run while demanding top $$$ anyday. Even if it means letting him hit FA and getting nothing in return, the Lions still gain from dropping his contract for which they can apply that money toward a new DE in FA or draft who will do just fine thanks to Suh and Fairley (hopefully) controlling double teams.

The reason why the experts believe he is our number one priority is that A it is his contract year and where CJ is up next year and B that everyone assumes CJ will be resigned at all cost. So in regards to your 'hometown' discount for CJ wait till he signs the highest non-qb contract of all time and let me know how much of a discount he took.

Young pass rushers are always a top priority. Do you want me to sick Tony on this thread? DO YOU???!!!!

zyxt9 said:
Is it possible to trade him now without putting the tag on him? Not sure what rules are in place regarding trades at this time, but it seems like they might want to wheel and deal now instead of waiting until they put the tag on him and potentially get stuck with the tag $$$ if no one picks him up.

you cant trade a free agent....lol

Free agent DE Cliff Avril says he would "probably" hold out of training camp if franchise tagged by the Lions.
It's a bit of hardball from Avril, who had previously gone on the record as "definitely" not wanting to be tagged. Avril has also made it clear he won't offer the Lions a "hometown discount," and that he'll be seeking top dollar on the open market. The Detroit Free Press reported Friday the Lions are "likely" to tag Avril before the March 5 deadline if slow-developing long-term talks don't gain momentum. Avril would stand to earn roughly $10 million under the franchise tag.

He's played his last down in a Lions uniform IMO

It makes sense for both. If he wants the huge money it makes sense to throw the tag on him. But players hate the tag so they hold out. Not a huge surprise. Tag him and pray to God that someone throws a pick or two our way.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]It makes sense for both. If he wants the huge money it makes sense to throw the tag on him. But players hate the tag so they hold out. Not a huge surprise. Tag him and pray to God that someone throws a pick or two our way.
If someone gave the Packers a 2nd for Corey Williams, the Lions should be able to fetch at least that much for Cliff. If he does get traded, I hope Mayhew extends LoJack. We don't need him to blow up with a huge year and be in this same position next March.

Free agent DE Cliff Avril has expanded on his Saturday comments that he might consider a holdout if franchise tagged by the Lions.
"The thing is, I wanted a deal last year," Avril said. "They told me I had to play and prove myself. I feel like now I should be compensated. I've been putting in the work. I've been trying to improve every year. I have done what they wanted me to do." It's an understandable sentiment, but Avril holds precious little leverage. He can be franchised as early as Monday.

cheeno said:
zyxt9 said:

The reason why the experts believe he is our number one priority is that A it is his contract year and where CJ is up next year and B that everyone assumes CJ will be resigned at all cost. So in regards to your 'hometown' discount for CJ wait till he signs the highest non-qb contract of all time and let me know how much of a discount he took.

Young pass rushers are always a top priority. Do you want me to sick Tony on this thread? DO YOU???!!!!

Not saying CJ will be cheap, just that he is willing to play for a few million less in Detroit (over entire contract) than elsewhere, hence it is a hometown discount. I fully expect CJ to be at the top of the WR list, if not all non-QB positions. It will still be several million less than what he could be getting next year...yet another aspect of the hometown discount in a way.

With KVB how old he is, this doesn't suprise me trying to keep Avril. He was our sack leader no matter how much Suh helps him. And Suh didn't play in Avirls big game against Minnesota.

lionskillpack said:
With KVB how old he is, this doesn't suprise me trying to keep Avril. He was our sack leader no matter how much Suh helps him. And Suh didn't play in Avirls big game against Minnesota.
once again he gets too much credit. Sure he had 2 sacks that game....but he only had 1 qb hit, minn avgd 7.7 yards per carry, he lost contain badly on webb like 4 times...and we should have lost at the end if the umpire wasnt blind. Bad example of avril without suh if you ask me.

mhughes0021 said:
lionskillpack said:
once again he gets too much credit. Sure he had 2 sacks that game....but he only had 1 qb hit, minn avgd 7.7 yards per carry, he lost contain badly on webb like 4 times...and we should have lost at the end if the umpire wasnt blind. Bad example of avril without suh if you ask me.

Wow.......lol.

tonyballs said:
mhughes0021 said:

Wow.......lol.

sorry tony lol...but if im trying to point to a good example of why we need avril im not using a game where we almost blow a 21-0 lead to a 2 win team, while giving up almost 500 yds of offense to a back up QB and letting up almost 8 yds per carry to the vikings without fucking Adrian Peterson lol. 1 qb hit.....ONE!

IMHO...no way should we pay Avril big money. Is he good, yes. Is he great, NO. You don't pay good players elite money. While Avril is a good pass rusher, he is horrible against the run and is too often out of position on plays run right at him.

I don't think this team would lose much production without him. I would rather use the money on DB or a OT. It would be a win/win to tag him, trade him for a 2nd or higher and have him get his money elsewhere.

mhughes0021 said:
tonyballs said:
Wow.......lol.

sorry tony lol...but if im trying to point to a good example of why we need avril im not using a game where we almost blow a 21-0 lead to a 2 win team, while giving up almost 500 yds of offense to a back up QB and letting up almost 8 yds per carry to the vikings without fucking Adrian Peterson lol. 1 qb hit.....ONE!

Who cares if he only had 1 QB hit? He did sack the QB TWICE, right? How many times did he flush Jackson out of the pocket? I'm asking because i don't know.

If this kid walks, this is going to be a nightmare for us. I can see a team like the Packers (who need a passrusher in the worst way) getting him and having him chase Stafford for the next 5 years twice a year. I don't like it!!! Just a bad feeling.....

tonyballs said:
mhughes0021 said:

Who cares if he only had 1 QB hit? He did sack the QB TWICE, right? How many times did he flush Jackson out of the pocket? I'm asking because i don't know.

If this kid walks, this is going to be a nightmare for us. I can see a team like the Packers (who need a passrusher in the worst way) getting him and having him chase Stafford for the next 5 years twice a year. I don't like it!!! Just a bad feeling.....

On the bright side, our running game would improve for those two games.

Sure he might sack Stafford, but it isn't like Staff will go sackless in most games due to OL and lack of run game. Meanwhile the FO can get someone to be productive at DE while improving several other weak points.

Back