Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell hired

Why is it embarrassing? They went after an experienced HC who has had some ups and downs. They went with plan B, something had to be done and done fast.

Disagree that something had to be done fast. Caldwell wasn`t going anywhere, they could have wated to talk with any of the remaining coordinators in the playoffs. Maybe kick a few more tires with some retired coaches and at the college level. Even could have waited to see if anything happens with Harbaugh.

Just seemed awfully rushed after Whisenhunt agreed with Tennessee when they didn`t have to.

Very unimpressed with Caldwell

Why is it embarrassing? They went after an experienced HC who has had some ups and downs. They went with plan B, something had to be done and done fast.

And what inexperienced co-ordinators have been hired so far? Caldwell hasnt brought anyone in yet. He's supposedly eyeing 3 guys as i type this. Nobody has been hired yet lol.

And how does one determine that all of a sudden we are worse off as a team going forward? We still have cuts to be made, players to be re-signed, free agency and the fn draft. Fuck the media. Just because this wasnt the sexy hire? Cmon now!! Lions did what they had to do and got their second choice under contract.

You might disagree, well I know you will. The fact they put all there marbles into one guy and didn't even interview certain guys, like Lovie Smith - solid DC etc. You want someone to work with Matt get a OC, not a HC that's offensive minded. Imo, they didn't open the search enough..there was no second choice. They wanted Whis, and only Whis. When he bolted they had to choose someone else. I guess Mayhew liked him better than Munchak.

You might disagree, well I know you will. The fact they put all there marbles into one guy and didn't even interview certain guys, like Lovie Smith - solid DC etc. You want someone to work with Matt get a OC, not a HC that's offensive minded. Imo, they didn't open the search enough..there was no second choice. They wanted Whis, and only Whis. When he bolted they had to choose someone else. I guess Mayhew liked him better than Munchak.

Lovie interviewed with nobody but Tampa. He was snatched up immediately.

And Caldwell WAS their second choice. What are you talking about?
Why cant Caldwell work with Stafford? Thats a bad thing? Ok ..lol. And he's supposedly bringing in one hell of a QB coach to be his Oco, another guy who can be "hands on" with Staff. You guys are fn hilarious. You beg snd i mean BEG for Stafford to be helped. The Lions go after an offensive minded HC who has worked with the greatest QB of our lifetime, he's rumored to be bringing in another WB guy as his Oco and people still shit on it....lol. Its fn mindboggling ....truly

Bill Lazor and Teryl Austin have already been brought in according to several sources

Im watching the NFL Network right now and all it says about that is its rumored those guys are being brought in. And if so, so what? Theyre football guys who have been around the game for years at the college level and pro levels. Coaches get promoted ALL the time, its a normal thing

Disagree that something had to be done fast. Caldwell wasn`t going anywhere, they could have wated to talk with any of the remaining coordinators in the playoffs. Maybe kick a few more tires with some retired coaches and at the college level. Even could have waited to see if anything happens with Harbaugh.

Just seemed awfully rushed after Whisenhunt agreed with Tennessee when they didn`t have to.

Very unimpressed with Caldwell

Caldwell was their second choice obviously. And why wait AGAIN for one of these hotshot co-ordinators to maybe possibly get burnt again? Fuck that.

And no retired coaches are coming back right now. Its a fn pipedream.

Harbaugh aint going nowhere

Lovie interviewed with nobody but Tampa. He was snatched up immediately.

And Caldwell WAS their second choice. What are you talking about?
Why cant Caldwell work with Stafford? Thats a bad thing? Ok ..lol. And he's supposedly bringing in one hell of a QB coach to be his Oco, another guy who can be "hands on" with Staff. You guys are fn hilarious. You beg snd i mean BEG for Stafford to be helped. The Lions go after an offensive minded HC who has worked with the greatest QB of our lifetime, he's rumored to be bringing in another WB guy as his Oco and people still shit on it....lol. Its fn mindboggling ....truly

He first worked with Peyton as an OC. OC work with QB not HC so yeah he ain't helping Staff with shit.

i think this could be good.

just out of curiousity how many ppl in Boston Bitched and complained when Belchik was hired in New England after failing in Cleveland. not saying Caldwell is Belichik but still

just out of curiousity how many ppl in Boston Bitched and complained when Belchik was hired in New England after failing in Cleveland. not saying Caldwell is Belichik but still

If we have a young Brady I'd feel better about this hire..

Actually none. It was considered a coup against the Jets.

He first worked with Peyton as an OC. OC work with QB not HC so yeah he ain't helping Staff with shit.

Caldwell wont help Staff? He wont have any one on ones with Matt? You know this how? Go away, dummy ...let the grownups talk football. Fuck, youre an idiot. Does it hurt your brain when you tie your shoes?

Caldwell wont help Staff? He wont have any one on ones with Matt? You know this how? Go away, dummy ...let the grownups talk football. Fuck, youre an idiot. Does it hurt your brain when you tie your shoes?

Duck off. He won't teach Matt Jack shit. His one on one's will consist of "what the fk were you thinking Matt".

My my Mitch... Did Jim come to your house and personally piss in your cheerios this morning? I love how you are always knowing and guaranteeing things you have ZERO clue about.

My my Mitch... Did Jim come to your house and personally piss in your cheerios this morning? I love how you are always knowing and guaranteeing things you have ZERO clue about.

well not to speak for mitch but the pessimists have been way closer to correct about the lions than the kool aid jahvid best youtube jerker offers. Soooo we'll let it play out and see....but imo were in worse shape than when Schwartz and linehan were here.

well not to speak for mitch but the pessimists have been way closer to correct about the lions than the kool aid jahvid best youtube jerker offers. Soooo we'll let it play out and see....but imo were in worse shape than when Schwartz and linehan were here.

Worse shape? Wtf

Duck off. He won't teach Matt Jack shit. His one on one's will consist of "what the fk were you thinking Matt".

Further proof that you need a lobotomy. Wow, youre such a retard

Last edited:

And all the negative cry babies always blame youtube watching and complete opposite views on players than experts do when you have no idea what you're talking about.

My favorite part of all the Caldwell arguments is that he ran the 29th ranked offense in Baltimore.

Forgetting that he helped them win a Superbowl, or that he led a Colts team to a 14-0 start in his rookie year as a HC. Forget all that, he was 29th in the league in offense last year.

Do you have any idea how many Superbowl winners actually do well the following year?

Or that Mike McCarthy ran the 32nd ranked offense in San Fran before he became the Packers head coach, and won every division title for the next bazillion years?

Or that Bill Belichick was literally run out of Cleveland for his failures?

There is a laundry list of good coaches in the NFL today that failed miserably at their last stop. Injuries, lack of talent, not enough control, meddling GMs... plenty of reasons for a guy to fail in the NFL. Hell's its a million times more likely that an NFL coach will fail that succeed.

But a 14-0 start to a rookie campaign can't be dismissed. 10-6 the following year, and another trip to the playoffs can't be dismissed.

2-14 with Dan Orlovski and Curtis Painter at QB? That I can dismiss. The Colts franchise tagged Payton, and he didn't play a single snap. You can't ask a coach to win with that, but you obviously can fire him when he doesn't win with it.

There is nothing in my mind to suggest Caldwell isn't a good coach, and quite a but to suggest he is. The final proof will be in the pudding, but on the surface of it, he looks like a man capable of winning championships.

Back