Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell hired

Can you read my mind..

Ever watch Friends where Alec Baldwin played the most positive guy ever?

Very annoying, you need guys like me to balance it out :nod:. Up until recently I was LKP lite..I was a big Stafford supporter, all backing up all these players..etc. I'm fed up with the team that making fun of them feels better..:cheers:

I hear ya.

I'm 35. Been a fan since I was 6. A real fan (followed players, actually watched games) since Barry's first game. It's been mostly crap. Crap hires. Crap players. Crap game planning. A little Barry and Megatron mixed in.

I sucks. I guess I'm a glass half full guy. New hires and new draft picks always bring optimism. Maybe i'll be more jaded the older I get. Who knows. I just don't see the fun in bashing every single thing the organization does and then call myself a fan.

The Lions don't "owe" me anything. I still enjoy watching every Sunday. I have certainly let wins and losses get to me. Not as much these days, but in my 20's I was the guy SCREAMING at the TV......getting in fights with people that ripped on my team. Actually coming to blows with a Cowboy fan who said Emmitt Smith was a better RB!!

I'm not LKP. I'm not you or Hughes either. I like it here in the middle. Still fun watching the games, talking Lions, hoping that they will turn the corner "one day".

OK, whew.....I feel better.

Being a Lions fan, I love unknown commodities. I wasn't all that happy with the Caldwell hire but I am excited to see what these coordinators can do. Reading fan reaction in both Philadelphia and Baltimore, they're not happy about losing these guys, both Lazor and Austin. If Caldwell has to be the glue that holds everything together while he lets his staff run the show, I think the Lions will be fine.

Can't be any worse that Schwartz & Co., right?

Since the turn of the century:

Mornhinweg: 5-27 .158

Mariucchi: 15-28 .359

Marinelli: 10-38 .208

Schwartz: 29-49 .377

The "bar" certainly ain't very high and excluding "interim" HCes such as Moeller and Jauron, the Lions have had only ONE HC with a winning record in the SB era, being Joe Schmidt 43-35 .547. if that isn't a good indicator of how pathetically poor this franchise has been operated and coached, since WCF purchased it, then I don't know what is.

Schwartz is 29-51. Really -6 in the hole when it mattered (2011-2013). The -16 spot in 2009 and 2010 was a Millen mess to clean and Stafford out most of 2010/finish cleaning the Millen mess (LBs/back 7,complement weapons). But -6 still gets you fired with -10 in the last 2 seasons. The rest is a Millen mess.

As someone who believes the goal should be the super bowl every year and anything less is failure, I obviously don't think Caldwell could be any worse than any coach the Lions have had in the SB era.

And in your eyes, who's average? That was available ?

We made no play for Lovie Smith at all.

We are a team that is built to win now. We now have a head coach who was a loser in college as a head coach and outside of one season with MVP Peyton Manning was a loser in limited pro HC experience. I could get on board with Caldwell if he would have brought experienced coordinators, but we're getting two first time guys who willbe learning on the job. It's just not a staff that's built to win now, they'll be learning on the job for the most part.

I could understand this staff if we had a rookie QB and a very young team that needs to develop talent and maybe compete in a few years, but we have all of our star players in their prime right now and some near the end of their primes. Calin takes a beating, he's not going to be the same in a couple years. Bush is likely gone soon and he's nearing the end of his prime. Suh, Fairley, and Stafford are all in or entering their primes. IS this team really set up for two totally inexperienced coordinators to learn their craft over a couple years before being ready to compete with the big boys?

It just seems like the wrong staff for where our roster is. This looks like a staff you start from scratch with, not a staff that takes you to the next level.

Both Lazor and Austin have 20+ years of coaching experience. They may be new to the coordinator positions but I have a hard time calling them inexperienced. Besides, Linehan and Gunther were about as experienced as you can get and everyone wanted to run them out of town. Not saying these were the right moves, but we'll just have to wait and see.

We are a team that is built to win now. We now have a head coach who was a loser in college as a head coach and outside of one season with MVP Peyton Manning was a loser in limited pro HC experience. I could get on board with Caldwell if he would have brought experienced coordinators, but we're getting two first time guys who willbe learning on the job. It's just not a staff that's built to win now, they'll be learning on the job for the most part.

I could understand this staff if we had a rookie QB and a very young team that needs to develop talent and maybe compete in a few years, but we have all of our star players in their prime right now and some near the end of their primes. Calin takes a beating, he's not going to be the same in a couple years. Bush is likely gone soon and he's nearing the end of his prime. Suh, Fairley, and Stafford are all in or entering their primes. IS this team really set up for two totally inexperienced coordinators to learn their craft over a couple years before being ready to compete with the big boys?

It just seems like the wrong staff for where our roster is. This looks like a staff you start from scratch with, not a staff that takes you to the next level.

How do you know Lovie wasnt contacted?

This staff will be fine. Learning on the job? Are you serious? These are professional coaches who have been around the game for years. Theyll be fine.

And they asked Dungy if he wanted the job. He said no but directed them to Caldwell.

Both Lazor and Austin have 20+ years of coaching experience. They may be new to the coordinator positions but I have a hard time calling them inexperienced. Besides, Linehan and Gunther were about as experienced as you can get and everyone wanted to run them out of town. Not saying these were the right moves, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Bill Lazor is 41 and been coaching at a collegiate level or above for 20 years.

Outside of two seasons of Kurt Warner, Ken Whisenhunt was a loser in his HC experience. Would you have been fine if he was our hire?

TheManyFacesAndEmotionsOfJimCaldwell.jpg

Do the same one with Jim Schwartz. They are all pictures of him smashing his headset on the ground.

Bill Lazor is 41 and been coaching at a collegiate level or above for 20 years.

Looks like he went straight into coaching after he was done playing football. He's been on NFL staffs since 2003 except for a 3-year stint at Virginia.

From what I can gather, looks like he worked with...

Brunell/Campbell in Washington from '06-'07
Wallace/Hasselbeck in Seattle from '08-'09
Foles/Vick in Philadelphia in '13

schwartz.gif

Pleased

Schwartz-excited.gif

Excited

Schwartz.gif

I have no clue what this is actually

SCHWARTZ_MFERS.gif

Happy

Schwartz.gif

WTF?

harbaugh.gif

Assholes mingling

madjim.gif

Douchebag

Looks like he went straight into coaching after he was done playing football. He's been on NFL staffs since 2003 except for a 3-year stint at Virginia.

Austin is 48 and been coaching for 23 years and mentored some really good young CBs including his latest project Jimmy Smith who was everybody's favorite mock draft pick. Hardly like these guys have to ask what a forward pass is. The Phins just fired Sherman who has a stellar College and NFL record, if Caldwell had have brung in a guy like him I would be bashing the hiring of Caldwell all day long.

^^ awesome. Point being we hired the exact opposite. AND it wasn't Mayhew's first choice so I am ecstatic.

Last edited:

Well Lazor chose the Dolphins so it doesn't matter now. Per Mortenson.

Last edited:
How do you know Lovie wasnt contacted?

This staff will be fine. Learning on the job? Are you serious? These are professional coaches who have been around the game for years. Theyll be fine.

And they asked Dungy if he wanted the job. He said no but directed them to Caldwell.

according to mortenson he was interviewed.

Back