Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell hired

No thoughts yet.

I know NOTHING of any of them.

Same lol. The only thing I know is they all dont have much experience at the positions they were hired for. All of them are viewed as up and coming guys that this job COULD add a great page on their resume. Well it could easily be said by the end of next year that a bunch of no name coordinators led a "super bowl ready" team per dungy to a 5 win season.

I wished they had kept Washburn around.

The fact they didn't probably means the wide 9 is gone. I dont know what the fuck it means for our defense when we hired a 3-4 secondary coach but I'm assuming mayhew insisted we stay a 4-3. So we have a dbs coach coaching a 4-3 that he hasn't been involved with schematic wise.

Last edited:
Same lol. The only thing I know is they all dont have much experience at the positions they were hired for. All of them are viewed as up and coming guys that this job COULD add a great page on their resume. Well it could easily be said by the end of next year that a bunch of no name coordinators led a "super bowl ready" team per dungy to a 5 win season.

Up and coming means ambition, not like 80 year old Gunther and his Halcyon Days of Derrick Thomas. The worst coach in St. Louis history Linehan. I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone's ass I'll leave it to LKP.

The good - nick foles

The bad - mike Vick

The ugly - all Washington and Seattle qbs prior to rg3 and Russel Wilson.

I dunno.....

Can't blame him for Vick, it's hard to fix a big arm QB with questionable accuracy throught his career....oh wait, crap.

It's not like we can just steal O Cords and D Cords. Got to get talented coaches who need a chance.

Lazor developed Foles, Caldwell helped Peyton and had coaching and OC success. We'll see if Austin can get more out of them than Schwartz and Gunther.

Can't blame him for Vick, it's hard to fix a big arm QB with questionable accuracy throught his career....oh wait, crap.

Lmao! Post of the year candidate for brewer in early Jan! I spit my energy drink all over my dash.

I just hope Austin brings an aggressive approach. I think this defense would benefit from scheme alone if we don't add anyone.

Another "bend but don't break" defense will lead to the same frustrating results as the last 5 years.

Hoping he likes it cause that means the playoffs for the Lions.

Lol.....you're a tool.

My opinion differs from yours.....grow up and deal with it.

Fact is.....neither one of us is "right" until there are 16 games played this year.

After that....feel free to bump this and call me out.

Lol.....you're a tool.

My opinion differs from yours.....grow up and deal with it.

Fact is.....neither one of us is "right" until there are 16 games played this year.

After that....feel free to bump this and call me out.

Princess and Tool, I like when someone's opinion differs from yours the first thing you go to is name calling. You said playoffs with Caldwell and good OC and DC, I was hoping you thought they were good. Then you don't even say if they are good or not. Ride the fence and name call, good strategy.

Mayhew: "hi Gym Coldwall....did you know our last HC was named Gym too....I don't like much change in this organization....were a super bowl ready team. So whats your plan to keep us that way?"

Coldwall: "welp I was thinking for the defense we hire a 3-4 secondary coach."

Mayhew: "perfect"

Coldwall: "As for the offense ive got a great guy in mind.....in 2013 they did a story on this guy names bill lazor. It said he makes great qbs greater. Now let me throw out a couple names at you to back this theory. In 2006 he successfully ended mark brunell and Jason campbells starting qb careers and led Washington to a 5 win season. *nods head* and if that didn't get ya....how about the job he did leading matt hasselbeck to 4 wins and losing his job in seattle?! He followed that up with putting Mike Vick out of a starting job in a chip Kelly offense tailored made for the likes of Vick."

Mayhew: "does he have any OC experience?"

Coldwall: "well 1 year he was the OC for the virgina cavaliers....but he left that job to be a qb coach in the NFL....said it wasn't really his thing. But on the flip side of his lack of experience....his last name is Lazor. Ive watched a lot of tape on matt Stafford and he has a laser arm. laser arm....lazor coach....see what im getting at?"

Mayhew: "hold that thought dungy is calling."

Mayhew: "youre hired gym....it sounds like you really have a solid plan. Thank you for your time. And remember.....4-3 defense and we go to the superbowl!"

Last edited:
Here are my 2 cents.

Caldwell as Derry pointed out as an "in game" coach is terrible. I think Caldwell recognizes that as from all accounts they basically had to drag him into the booth after they fired Cameron for the Super Bowl run. I personally hope he never makes a call during the game on Offense, Defense, or Special Teams. I hope if they hire Tressel his only job is to sit there with a button to press it every time Caldwell needs to use a time out.

Both O and D coordinators have saw recent success in the league building our weaknesses into strengths. I guarantee these guys see themselves as head coaches in the future and see the Lions as a stepping stone. Which either makes them brilliant or absolute morons. That being said they aren't here because they are married to scheme, hello tampa 2 and wide 9, or 3-4, 4-3 whatever. They aren't HC or OC/DC cast offs that failed elsewhere and are too stubborn to change. They are here to be the next Gase and Quinn which is how these guys move up the ranks. Lazer was interviewed to succeed and established OC in Miami just recently. Austin will tell Mayhew if Dennard or Gilbert or any other CB in the draft is worthy of their rank. He's been around enough good ones, and enough good ones at the early stages of their career to know.
Finally the hires show someone without a huge ego and a legitimate plan. I wouldn't be surprised if Dungy's fingerprints on it as well, as he seemingly has taken a vested interest in our success.

"But on the flip side of his lack of experience....his last name is Lazor. Ive watched a lot of tape on matt Stafford and he has a laser arm. laser arm....lazor coach....see what im getting at?"

Lol, definitely my favorite part of the story

Here are my 2 cents.

Caldwell as Derry pointed out as an "in game" coach is terrible. I think Caldwell recognizes that as from all accounts they basically had to drag him into the booth after they fired Cameron for the Super Bowl run. I personally hope he never makes a call during the game on Offense, Defense, or Special Teams. I hope if they hire Tressel his only job is to sit there with a button to press it every time Caldwell needs to use a time out.

Both O and D coordinators have saw recent success in the league building our weaknesses into strengths. I guarantee these guys see themselves as head coaches in the future and see the Lions as a stepping stone. Which either makes them brilliant or absolute morons. That being said they aren't here because they are married to scheme, hello tampa 2 and wide 9, or 3-4, 4-3 whatever. They aren't HC or OC/DC cast offs that failed elsewhere and are too stubborn to change. They are here to be the next Gase and Quinn which is how these guys move up the ranks. Lazer was interviewed to succeed and established OC in Miami just recently. Austin will tell Mayhew if Dennard or Gilbert or any other CB in the draft is worthy of their rank. He's been around enough good ones, and enough good ones at the early stages of their career to know.
Finally the hires show someone without a huge ego and a legitimate plan. I wouldn't be surprised if Dungy's fingerprints on it as well, as he seemingly has taken a vested interest in our success.

the only issue I have with this is Gase is the next guy because of Peyton. Gase literally has done nothing all year....because peyton does everything. But "his" offense set records so hes the next guy up.

Quin has like 9 people in their secondary that is better than our starters lol. Soooo....again.....he gets all the credit....and its really just the players that are uber successful. They could have been like LKP and made excuses when 2 of their cbs went down....but they had QUALITY DEPTH.

Now...the lions....the lions have players that consistently fail to live up to expectations and have no quality depth. The new DC will look at our secondary and say...WTF. The new OC will look at our offense and say....can I get a raise if I have to fix all of this? This isn't a peyton manning/Gase situation that will fix itself.

Here are my 2 cents.

Sounds good to me. I've gone from disgusted last night when Whisenhunt agreed with Tennessee, to disappointed when Caldwell was hired, to very, very cautiously optimistic. I'm looking forward to free agency and the draft to see how the Lions try to upgrade the team.

the only issue I have with this is Gase is the next guy because of Peyton. Gase literally has done nothing all year....because peyton does everything. But "his" offense set records so hes the next guy up.

Quin has like 9 people in their secondary that is better than our starters lol. Soooo....again.....he gets all the credit....and its really just the players that are uber successful. They could have been like LKP and made excuses when 2 of their cbs went down....but they had QUALITY DEPTH.

Now...the lions....the lions have players that consistently fail to live up to expectations and have no quality depth. The new DC will look at our secondary and say...WTF. The new OC will look at our offense and say....can I get a raise if I have to fix all of this? This isn't a peyton manning/Gase situation that will fix itself.

I just threw those out there because they are hot coordinator names. The situations are definitely different. To stick with the Lazer theme, if the Broncos are sharks with lazer beams attached to their heads, we're more like mutated, ill-tempered sea bass.

Sounds good to me. I've gone from disgusted last night when Whisenhunt agreed with Tennessee, to disappointed when Caldwell was hired, to very, very cautiously optimistic. I'm looking forward to free agency and the draft to see how the Lions try to upgrade the team.

I'm at that stage too and as a Lionized fan its hard for me to get there. Like I said the plan is in place, but planning and doing are two different things. For one thing the players need to buy what the guy is selling. Mayhew set him up for failure already as the B team. Although next year I hope I am whipping out this image:

I-love-it-when-a-plan-comes-together-Hannibal-Smith-A-team.jpg

Last edited:
I just threw those out there because they are hot coordinator names. The situations are definitely different. To stick with the Lazer theme, if the Broncos are sharks with lazer beams attached to their heads, we're more like mutated, ill-tempered sea bass.

lol!

Ive tried to work through my emotions and ive listened to like 8 different radio show hosts today to try to get prospective from all angles.....my final take is:

We settled for mediocrity after our main target chose a below average organization over us.

It should be embarrassing for our organization.

We hired very inexperienced coordiantors that have yet to really make their mark at the nfl at the level they were hired for.

As of now we have the same GM, the same players, and are probably worse off than last year as a coaching staff.....therefor expectations should be lowered from 7 wins going into a season with a more difficult SoS.

Ill repeat...this isn't me being negative nancy as tony likes to call it.....these are the main talking points ive been hearing from everything ive read/heard today.

Last edited:
Princess and Tool, I like when someone's opinion differs from yours the first thing you go to is name calling. You said playoffs with Caldwell and good OC and DC, I was hoping you thought they were good. Then you don't even say if they are good or not. Ride the fence and name call, good strategy.

Riding the fence?

Ok, Sally! If I don't know anything about the people hired I am supposed to make a judgement on it right away so YOU'RE happy!

No.

Stop following me around....I think someone has a crush on me!

Back