Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell hired

Tony Dungy ‏@TonyDungy 24m
I'm excited for Matthew Stafford & the Detroit Lions. I think he's going to flourish under Jim Caldwell. Lions will be a playoff team in '14

Lets hope he is right

Boy he's really sticking his neck out there. Posted it on twitter and everything.

With Rodgers and Cutler back plus no doubt a harder schedule, with the fact you have some really good teams in the NFC, even the lkp in me doesn't see them making the playoffs.

With Rodgers and Cutler back plus no doubt a harder schedule, with the fact you have some really good teams in the NFC, even the lkp in me doesn't see them making the playoffs.

On top of that they get the NFC South and AFC East.

My way-too-premature expectations are 5-11, anything better is gravy.

More along the lines of, "we're stuck with him"...so I might as well try and look at/find anything positive.

Here is the positive: If it was Mayhew's instinct to go with Whisenhunt, I'm glad we went with Caldwell. Pull an ol' George Costanza on 'em

Last edited:
More along the lines of, "we're stuck with him"...so I might as well try and look at/find anything positive.

I hope I am dead wrong about him, but I just don't see it working out. I have been wrong plenty of times before...Boom! I just found the positive about this hire.

Can't help but feel that hiring Caldwell was a knee-jerk reaction to losing out on the few available HCes that might have been better hirings. The Lions were looking for a new HC when the pickings were sparse to begin with. If they really just "settled" for Caldwell, I hope that they don't give him a contract longer than 2 years, but most likely it will be 3-4. Wish that they could have announced that due to a paucity of decent candidates, they were looking for someone to fill in for one year, with the possibility of being extended for a few more, IF they were satisfied with the "interim" HC's performance.

Can't help but feel that hiring Caldwell was a knee-jerk reaction to losing out on the few available HCes that might have been better hirings. The Lions were looking for a new HC when the pickings were sparse to begin with. If they really just "settled" for Caldwell, I hope that they don't give him a contract longer than 2 years, but most likely it will be 3-4. Wish that they could have announced that due to a paucity of decent candidates, they were looking for someone to fill in for one year, with the possibility of being extended for a few more, IF they were satisfied with the "interim" HC's performance.

I think you're right, about the 3-4 years. I was hoping for a short contract myself ..But not sure even Caldwell would accept two years.

The list of candidates, at that point, would have been college coaches or coordinators. And they wanted someone with experience.

I would have preferred David Shaw from Stanford over Caldwell, but I maintain that I prefer Caldwell over Wisenhunt.

I had also hoped that a "thorough" coaching search would involve interviewing more than 4 retreads.

Why would it when the whole process was just a sham to hire Whisenhunt.

The fact that their love for Whisenhunt was widely known makes the organization look bad. Whiz probably used it as leverage to get a nice contract from the Titans.

Back