Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell Watch.....

boogerlovejoy

Anyone want to guess how long he lasts??

I say 1:00 PM today.

Give the new coach the bye week to install his philosophy.

I was hoping to wake up to an announcement that he was fired.

I don't think he is fired until the end of the year. as pissed as fans have a right to be after the KC loss, there should be an understanding that it will take a little time for Cooter to fix things and one week is not sufficient time to make that decision. Additionally, the reality that this season is a complete loss has to be in consideration, so what benefit is there to firing the coach at this point? Who is coming in and correcting the mess? Cooter didn't get much changed, but he did improve the YPC. Unfortunate circumstances resulted in them not reaching the goal of 25 carries, but the rushing offense showed some improvement. Having two weeks to work on continuing to improve the run game and as a result having an influence on ToP, reduction in reliance on Stafford, more time for the D to rest...there are many positive things that COULD result just from that. Management isn't likely to drop the hammer after only 1 week since the requested changes were made. They obviously demanded Lombardi be fired, to expect an immediate fix is not being reasonable.

Now if they come out of the BYE and get blown out, maybe they drop the hammer...but what good will it actually do at this point in the year? Better to continue losing and get the #1 pick, IMO. Plenty of time to clean house after the last game's final whistle...not much good can come from it at this point in the year.

If I were a betting man, I would say no changes this week, or maybe even this season.

The Ford's gave Millen the better part of what.. 7 seasons? That's a world of patience. That is more patience than should ever be shown. Mother Teresa was screaming "Just fire that fucking prick already!". Seriously, I saw it.

If they give him that much time, I don't see them firing Caldwell before two years is up.

That having been said, I am hoping they do. But like I said... if I were a betting man... and if you're laying down money, play the safe odds.

Dude, if Caldwell is still coaching in '16 there will not be a single fan of the team still watching. I don't think even LKP would watch that shit show.

Lions give him the Ausmus treatment
Fans riot
0-16 in '16
Fans riot
Caldwell is fired
Martha fires Mayhew and promotes one of his underlings
Lions draft a QB with the #1 pick in '17

The nightmare is real

LOL...that's the oddest thing I've seen on this board. I posted "#5" after reading grandy's #6 but now the board is showing my post before grandy's. weird. maybe it will revert back to the correct order later.

LOL...that's the oddest thing I've seen on this board. I posted "#5" after reading grandy's #6 but now the board is showing my post before grandy's. weird. maybe it will revert back to the correct order later.

I deleted my previous post, that's probably why

I think he will (sadly) last the rest of the year.

IF the defense was performing at even an average level, I think they would have canned Caldwell and promoted Austin, to see 'whats hes got' as HC. However, seeing as the Defense is also an absolute dumpster fire, I dont think promoting Austin serves any purpose, and so the entire staff will get to 'ride this out' to the end of the season.

Ihedigbo and Mathis got old. Tulloch, Bell and Waddle are still fucking hurt even though they play or the injuries slowed them way too much.. Levy the mistake eraser got hurt. Reiff forgot how to block. Laken and Swanson are too young. And Ngata is not consistent. Walker hurt. And all this has caused Stafford to panic and regress. And I feel like everryone we play has either two stud pass rushers or an all world secondary that is perfectly healthy when they play us.

Mayhew is going to get fired and so will Caldwell. Not his fault everyone tricked him last year.

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...w-lions-qb-matthew-stafford-average-this-year

His 11 interceptions are tied for worst in the league, and while not all of them are his fault, a great majority of them are. And those 11 picks are as many as the top-5 quarterbacks in the league combined. He has the look of a quarterback who is starting to get nervous when he’s in the pocket too long -- likely due to his terrible offensive line and pass protection. Some of this is scheme, but he is on pace for his worst statistical season in passing yards (2,083 through eight games) and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is on pace (13 touchdowns, 11 interceptions) to be his worst since 2012 (20 touchdown, 17 interceptions). He’s also had three games this season where he has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns.

I bolded that just for you LKP.

Last edited:
I'd put 6 or 7 on him. It's way more than Stafford clearly. Blocking is atrocious. Defense big step back. Weapons can't get open. It's team wide.

They'll roll one more year with Stafford and hopefully fixt the tackles at least and Laken/Warford do better.

The second pick was Stafford's fault yesterday. But 9 times out of 10 that is just deflected incomplete.

Last edited:
I'd put 6 or 7 on him. It's way more than Stafford clearly. Blocking is atrocious. Defense big step back. Weapons can't get open. It's team wide.

They'll roll one more year with Stafford and hopefully fixt the tackles at least and Laken/Warford do better.

The second pick was Stafford's fault yesterday. But 9 times out of 10 that is just deflected incomplete.

Why do you always have to turn a conversation into an embarrassing rant about how much Stafford is not at fault, and make even those that truly believe he is not the biggest problem, hate him?

Why do you always have to turn a conversation into an embarrassing rant about how much Stafford is not at fault, and make even those that truly believe he is not the biggest problem, hate him?

It's the fans fault for not supporting him. Cheer louder and the line will block better for him.

2012, 2013, 2015 was a mix of poor run support, weapon injuries, defensive let downs, fumbles lost.

Trade Stafford to the Patriots. He'll win 20 Super Bowls in a row.

LOL. He's entered full troll mode. This is worse than he normally is.

So.. "cheer louder" is the cure for bad blocking?

Fuck man, I wonder what happens if we buy him Pez and Faygo?

Hahahaha. That's the problem, that's exactly why this franchise sucks so bad. Fans aren't cheering loud enough.

I'm not sure what firing Caldwell now does. We don't have anymore guys to promote. The first thing they to do is after the season, Fire Mayhew. New GM brings in a new HC etc.

I'm not sure what firing Caldwell now does. We don't have anymore guys to promote. The first thing they to do is after the season, Fire Mayhew. New GM brings in a new HC etc.

Agree, no point right now

It's like hiring firing the captain of the Titanic when the ship is 1/2 way to the bottom of the ocean. Let him take it all the way to the bottom...you have to pay him anyway.

Back