Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell Watch.....

I'm not sure what firing Caldwell now does. We don't have anymore guys to promote. The first thing they to do is after the season, Fire Mayhew. New GM brings in a new HC etc.

Its called showing your fanbase and organization that accountability matters. You are the joke of the NFL across several channels of media. That does not meet the expectations of what we were supposed to be this year. Therefor, any major organization THAT IS SERIOUS about their brand and how it is viewed should take serious consideration and action to change perception. A is not acceptable therfor im doing B. The problem is this is NOT a serious organization. They've shown time and time again they are completely fine with being a joke....so they will continue to be a joke. Owners and GM have taken ZERO action or blame. Remember it was solely Caldwells decision to fire Lombardi. Therefor Mayhew has done squat. Martha has done squat. Week after week of ineptitude and they continue to do squat while their brand suffers. They are fucking fools.

Its called showing your fanbase and organization that accountability matters. You are the joke of the NFL across several channels of media. That does not meet the expectations of what we were supposed to be this year. Therefor, any major organization THAT IS SERIOUS about their brand and how it is viewed should take serious consideration and action to change perception. A is not acceptable therfor im doing B. The problem is this is NOT a serious organization. They've shown time and time again they are completely fine with being a joke....so they will continue to be a joke. Owners and GM have taken ZERO action or blame. Remember it was solely Caldwells decision to fire Lombardi. Therefor Mayhew has done squat. Martha has done squat. Week after week of ineptitude and they continue to do squat while their brand suffers. They are fucking fools.

They've fired plenty of coaches in the past, it hasn't proven anything about this franchise and accountability. How is firing Caldwell mid-season any different?

Actually, it's probably a smart business decision to fire him now. The fans with short-term memory will lap it up and keep throwing money at this team, just like every other time.

So going from QB coach to OC to HC in two weeks doesn't say joke? Promoting a DC, on the worst defensive team in 2015, to HC doesn't say joke?

We're a joke regardless any firings.

As far as Caldwell - he says no one loses job and then two hours later 3 guys are gone. Maybe he officially fired them but someone above told him to..

So going from QB coach to OC to HC in two weeks doesn't say joke? Promoting a DC, on the worst defensive team in 2015, to HC doesn't say joke?

We're a joke regardless any firings.

Its not about who comes into replace Caldwell. Its the action of getting rid of the guy that sits on the sideline with a blank stare while his team has clearly given up on him. After watching on sunday do you see one inkling or sense that this team is rallying behind Caldwell? Even if their talent sucks...did you see any passion or fight? No one on this team wants to play football....they just want to collect a check.

Its not about who comes into replace Caldwell. Its the action of getting rid of the guy that sits on the sideline with a blank stare while his team has clearly given up on him. After watching on sunday do you see one inkling or sense that this team is rallying behind Caldwell? Even if their talent sucks...did you see any passion or fight? No one on this team wants to play football....they just want to collect a check.

And then praising someone else who hasn't done, and I use your word, squat. You think anyone here or elsewhere are going to sing hallelujah.. It won't mean a thing if gets fired now or in January. Apparently they also stopped playing for Austin.

Last edited:
They've fired plenty of coaches in the past, it hasn't proven anything about this franchise and accountability. How is firing Caldwell mid-season any different?

Actually, it's probably a smart business decision to fire him now. The fans with short-term memory will lap it up and keep throwing money at this team, just like every other time.

Mayhew has fired 1 coach. Everyone in the world can see it....the numbers don't lie...This is the SAME exact thing that happened to the Ravens offense in year 2 under Caldwell. Mayhew hired a coach that doesn't belong in this league. When you dont do the job you were hired to do.....you should be fired. For me it doesn't matter if that's in week 1, week 8 or in the offseason....whenever they feel you aren't doing your job....you should get fired.

Mayhew has fired 1 coach. Everyone in the world can see it....the numbers don't lie...This is the SAME exact thing that happened to the Ravens offense in year 2 under Caldwell. Mayhew hired a coach that doesn't belong in this league. When you dont do the job you were hired to do.....you should be fired. For me it doesn't matter if that's in week 1, week 8 or in the offseason....whenever they feel you aren't doing your job....you should get fired.

So lets promote a guy who also doesn't belong? Brilliant.

And then praising someone else who hasn't done, and I use your word, squat. You think anyone here or elsewhere are going to sing hallelujah.. It won't mean a thing if gets fired now or in January. Apparently they also stopped playing for Austin.

I disagree....I think everyone can agree its a step in the right direction if Caldwell is gone. You give your fans that sooner rather than later before they give up on you all together.

I disagree....I think everyone can agree its a step in the right direction if Caldwell is gone. You give your fans that sooner rather than later before they give up on you all together.

You'll feel better? And then what when GB puts 50 on us you fire the new HC? Pretty soon Martha will be a HC because there won't be anyone left.

Not everyone. I'd fire Austin first, His defense.

So lets promote a guy who also doesn't belong? Brilliant.

What if you promote a guy the team actually wants to play for? Miami seems to be taking that path and doing well with it...

Its not like there are a ton of options to promote from within when you fire someone mid way thru the year...especially when your staff is composed of a bunch of duds in the first place. Interim coach is hardly a "promotion." its a role you get thrust into to get your shitty team through the year until changes can be made in the offseason. Happens in every sport. Just because you have limited options isn't an excuse to not do it.....its just more of an excuse to fire mayhew along with him. He has an entire staff full of subpar employees.....so why does he have a job?

What if you promote a guy the team actually wants to play for? Miami seems to be taking that path and doing well with it...

Its not like there are a ton of options to promote from within when you fire someone mid way thru the year...especially when your staff is composed of a bunch of duds in the first place. Interim coach is hardly a "promotion." its a role you get thrust into to get your shitty team through the year until changes can be made in the offseason. Happens in every sport. Just because you have limited options isn't an excuse to not do it.....its just more of an excuse to fire mayhew along with him. He has an entire staff full of subpar employees.....so why does he have a job?

Like who? KC just scored 45. Last 4 weeks have been a disaster. Who would they "want" to play for?

I remember when Mayhew was promoted, and then bam - perma GM.

The mistake was in the hiring, when he's fired is irrelevant at this point especially if Mayhew is on his way out too. Firing Caldwell now doesn't show accountability, it would just show a typical organizational knee-jerk reaction in a sad attempt to rectify an obvious mistake. If it pleases the fans, then go for it, but I can see right through that bullshit.

Now if people remain after this season, that shows a clear lack of accountability and I, and many others, will rightfully be angry about it.

And btw, Miami beat 2 creme puffs and then got their asses kicked against NE.

Hard for me to say that promoting Austin wouldn't help. I have to admit that, and I'm with Mitch in wanting him gone.

But the reality is, we don't know they wouldn't play their asses off for Austin. All I know is they have quit on Caldwell. And as far as I am concerned there is no reason to continue promoting people from within, it hasn't worked out.

So that having been said, they may work their butts off for Austin, but I say fire him and everyone else anyway, because while I can't prove they wouldn't play harder, there is no evidence to say they would, but there is a lot of evidence to show they haven't under this regime thus far.

If they clean staff, that includes Austin. I don't want anyone in here with a stink on them from Mayhew and Caldwell. Everything is fresh.

If they clean staff, that includes Austin. I don't want anyone in here with a stink on them from Mayhew and Caldwell. Everything is fresh.

Have to say that I agree, and I like Austin. How about promoting Austin as GM if they decide he stays?

Last edited:
What coordinators would you guys want to see promoted to HC next year? If im putting together a list im having a hard time coming up with names.....one of the only offensive guys I can think of is Mcdaniels. And he was the reason Tebow had a job so that's pretty frightening. Im have a similar issue coming up with a list of college coaching candidates that are NFL ready. So whos your list???

Back