Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

I was I think a less expansive test done by Stanford that nevertheless showed the same likely results.

Yes, not county wide but sampled in one county (Santa Clara) and they projected something as many as 80k infections which was ~5% of the county based on the sample data.

According to this article, we have Tucker Carlson to thank for Trump doing anything about covid-19 at all...

So Tucker Carlson might be a hero in all of this. Go figure.

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/working-paper/2020-44/

We study the effects of news coverage of the novel coronavirus by the two most widely-viewed cable news shows in the United States ? Hannity and Tucker Carlson Tonight, both on Fox News ? on viewers? behavior and downstream health outcomes. Carlson warned viewers about the threat posed by the coronavirus from early February, while Hannity originally dismissed the risks associated with the virus before gradually adjusting his position starting late February.
...we document that greater viewership of Hannity relative to Tucker Carlson Tonight is strongly associated with a greater number of COVID-19 cases and deaths in the early stages of the pandemic.

So Tucker Carlson might be a hero in all of this. Go figure.

https://bfi.uchicago.edu/working-paper/2020-44/

A greater number than what?

Since no quantitative data is used as a measure at all, here is some:

Neither show has an audience as great as even 1% of the population.

Government orders and behavioral restrictions didn’t begin at either the beginning of February nor near the end of February. They started in the middle of March.

I, for all intents and purposed, never watch either.

Now an opinion-this is a really stupid article.

EDIT: My bad.

Both shows average an audience just above 1% of the population.

Still really stupid.

Last edited:
But I should've suspected the obvious: Trump and his flunkies have a vested financial interest in selling chloroquine:
"Trump himself has a small personal financial interest in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine." Other top Trump donors, allies, golf buddies, and Cabinet officials also have various ties to hydroxychlorquine.

I don't think this is a thing. I heard on NPR that it's available as a generic. It would be an easy out if it worked, so it's more likely Trump is just wishful thinking out loud than pushing it for any nefarious reason.

A greater number than what?

Since no quantitative data is used as a measure at all, here is some:

Neither show has an audience as great as even 1% of the population.

Government orders and behavioral restrictions didn?t begin at either the beginning of February nor near the end of February. They started in the middle of March.

I, for all intents and purposed, never watch either.

Now an opinion-this is a really stupid article.

EDIT: My bad.

Both shows average an audience just above 1% of the population.

Still really stupid.

This is one of the most convincing pre-publication papers I've ever seen. I'm convinced Tucker's got a better agent.

I don't think this is a thing. I heard on NPR that it's available as a generic. It would be an easy out if it worked, so it's more likely Trump is just wishful thinking out loud than pushing it for any nefarious reason.

I posted a link to a doc here in SoCal who?s been using it on a limited basis in certain situations with some success.

I doubt any doctor who might prescribe it cares much about Trump?s ownership interest - I certainly hope not.

I posted a link to a doc here in SoCal who?s been using it on a limited basis in certain situations with some success.

I doubt any doctor who might prescribe it cares much about Trump?s ownership interest - I certainly hope not.

I've heard of a few cases, but we'll see. Under normal circumstances, you've got to worry about confirmation bias. If 20 researchers run tests there's going to be statistical variation in the results and you've got to worry about it being the top 2 most successful tests that make the news.

Because everything is partisan, I suspect we now have to worry about the top 2 being reported by one half of the media and the bottom 2 being reported by the other half. Even the 'good' media (if there is any) will be 'fair' and report on both sets of outliers. That way we can focus on all the worst data and form out opinions.

40k lost already even with the shelter in place orders - are you comparing to the initial projections out of London for what would have happened if we did nothing?

I thought I heard influenza deaths this season are higher. Also I heard there?s a financial incentive provided by HHS for medical facilities to diagnose Covid.

There is a huge gap between what?s been done and having done nothing; that said, I think Sweden quarantined those at risk and allowed life to go on as usual for those not at risk. I believe I?ve heard that Stockholm now is halfway to herd immunity.

I thought I heard influenza deaths this season are higher. Also I heard there?s a financial incentive provided by HHS for medical facilities to diagnose Covid.

There is a huge gap between what?s been done and having done nothing; that said, I think Sweden quarantined those at risk and allowed life to go on as usual for those not at risk. I believe I?ve heard that Stockholm now is halfway to herd immunity.
That seems like a strategy for a place with a lot of testing. I think that's similar to what we should be pushing for. Creative ways to get as much of the economy back safely and enough testing to see where we're ok and where we're not doing well enough and need to take a step back.

I thought I heard influenza deaths this season are higher. Also I heard there’s a financial incentive provided by HHS for medical facilities to diagnose Covid.

There is a huge gap between what’s been done and having done nothing; that said, I think Sweden quarantined those at risk and allowed life to go on as usual for those not at risk. I believe I’ve heard that Stockholm now is halfway to herd immunity.

A lot easier to go that route when everyone has access to healthcare and there isn't a shortage of beds or tests.

Their numbers compare very favorably to most of Europe, however their curve has lagged in comparison to other Scandanavian countries + Denmark.

Much like how people are quick to point out how it's not reasonable to compare the United States to Spain/Italy, I don't see how Sweden is a good comparison either. There really probably isn't a good comparison, USA is pretty unique in most aspects.

Also I heard there’s a financial incentive provided by HHS for medical facilities to diagnose Covid.

I'm curious to know what your sources reasoning was for that. Testing is negligible financially. Treatment maybe? But then if they need to be treated, who the fuck cares what the financial reasoning is? America is terrified of Medicare for all, so you get Wealthcare. No surprise there. I'd be interested to read about it if I'm missing something.

Last edited:
I found an article that talks about it.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...ble-financial-incentive-of-covid-19-patients/

From the article.

Medicare will pay hospitals a 20 percent “add-on” to the regular payment for COVID-19 patients. That’s a result of the CARES Act, the largest of the three federal stimulus laws enacted in response to the coronavirus, which was signed into law March 27.

“This is no scandal,” Antos said. “The 20 percent was added by Congress because hospitals have lost revenue from routine care and elective surgeries that they can’t provide during this crisis, and because the cost of providing even routine services to COVID patients has jumped.”

I found an article that talks about it.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...ble-financial-incentive-of-covid-19-patients/

From the article.

Medicare will pay hospitals a 20 percent ?add-on? to the regular payment for COVID-19 patients. That?s a result of the CARES Act, the largest of the three federal stimulus laws enacted in response to the coronavirus, which was signed into law March 27.

?This is no scandal,? Antos said. ?The 20 percent was added by Congress because hospitals have lost revenue from routine care and elective surgeries that they can?t provide during this crisis, and because the cost of providing even routine services to COVID patients has jumped.?

My hero. :cheers:

40k lost already even with the shelter in place orders - are you comparing to the initial projections out of London for what would have happened if we did nothing?

how do we measure what would have happened if we did nothing?

A lot easier to go that route when everyone has access to healthcare and there isn't a shortage of beds or tests.

Their numbers compare very favorably to most of Europe, however their curve has lagged in comparison to other Scandanavian countries + Denmark.

Much like how people are quick to point out how it's not reasonable to compare the United States to Spain/Italy, I don't see how Sweden is a good comparison either. There really probably isn't a good comparison, USA is pretty unique in most aspects.

I'm curious to know what your sources reasoning was for that. Testing is negligible financially. Treatment maybe? But then if they need to be treated, who the fuck cares what the financial reasoning is? America is terrified of Medicare for all, so you get Wealthcare. No surprise there. I'd be interested to read about it if I'm missing something.

California cares. Maybe death panels really are a thing under socialized healthcare... I'm just kidding of course - there's no "maybe" about it, death panels really are a thing when you are forced to ration a product because you limit it's supply. But they have good intentions, so it's OK that it sucks.

Last edited:
There’s been no study there that I know of like we’ve had done here by Stanford and USC that shows the virus is monumentally more widespread throughout the population than has been being thought.

So we don’t know how many New Yorkers have actually had it.

Maybe all of them.

That would make 14,000 that seem pretty low.

State of New York Antibody Test Results.

EDIT: The data wasn’t collected scientifically, unfortunately.

But it’s more of an indication than nothing.

Last edited:
Back