Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Coronainsanity

Nitpicking.
We have intelligence agencies and shouldn't just rely on what other nations tell us.
Focusing on who was screaming over the travel ban is also 24 hr cable news partisan nonsense; it was a blip on my radar.

The travel ban was too late anyway.
Nobody trusts China's numbers.

no, it's not nitpicking, there's a big difference between being late and over/underreacting. Nitpicking is more like making points about semantics like "projecting not measuring". Our intelligence agencies rely on whatever information they have available, it's not like we have spies with unlimited access to what's going on in China. And I'm not focusing on the ban, I'm citing examples of how it politicized from the beginning which caused us to react late.

Hindsight is 20/20 - the travel ban may have been too late, but at the time (assuming our spies didn't know more) there were only 102 cases in the US and literally everyone including the WHO was saying not to close borders. It's not true that nobody trusts China's numbers. The WHO trusted China's numbers and as recently as a week or two ago, they continued to push China's claims about the impact, source, virtually every aspect of the pandemic. China is clearly lying about this but it's not just their numbers that can't be trusted. I don't have a lot of confidence in our numbers, particularly the death toll. Many people have openly admitted the death toll includes deaths due to other causes. There's no way to know whether the impact of that is material or not, but it certainly calls the numbers into question and is one of the reasons that makes it hard to determine if it really is worse here than elsewhere.

Last edited:
no, it's not nitpicking, there's a big difference between being late and over/underreacting. Nitpicking is more like making points about semantics like "projecting not measuring". Our intelligence agencies rely on whatever information they have available, it's not like we have spies with unlimited access to what's going on in China. And I'm not focusing on the ban, I'm citing examples of how it politicized from the beginning which caused us to react late.

Hindsight is 20/20 - the travel ban may have been too late, but at the time (assuming our spies didn't know more) there were only 102 cases in the US and literally everyone including the WHO was saying not to close borders. It's not true that nobody trusts China's numbers. The WHO trusted China's numbers and as recently as a week or two ago, they continued to push China's claims about the impact, source, virtually every aspect of the pandemic. China is clearly lying about this but it's not just their numbers that can't be trusted. I don't have a lot of confidence in our numbers, particularly the death toll. Many people have openly admitted the death toll includes deaths due to other causes. There's no way to know whether the impact of that is material or not, but it certainly calls the numbers into question and is one of the reasons that makes it hard to determine if it really is worse here than elsewhere.

Nuh-uh. To each point.

I understand. I wonder about the Kennedys in that context. Mary Jo would not have suffocated in the back of a 69 Olds, for example. John and Bobby would not have taken headshots.

John-John would not have augered into a cliff in his small aircraft.

Did you see Yesterday? The movie where the Beatles aren't a thing? I like alternate history shows.

Did you see Yesterday? The movie where the Beatles aren't a thing? I like alternate history shows.

The Beatles never were a thing, and this movie is an in-your-face, purloined letter statement to that effect. The ?alternate? history actually played out before our very eyes. The real story is yet to be told and believed.

The Beatles never were a thing, and this movie is an in-your-face, purloined letter statement to that effect. The “alternate” history actually played out before our very eyes. The real story is yet to be told and believed.

Whoa...

bill_and_teds_excellent_adventure.jpg

Last edited:
This is not a response to anything. Just a good (long) article. Bill Gate's read on the situation.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Pandemic-Innovation

I’d seriously rather read your “read” on the situation. Bill Gates is certifiably insane, in my opinion.

EDIT: After the first two paragraphs, I contend 1) Gates didn’t write a word of this, and 2) The entire point will be to baffle and confuse rather than clarify. 3) Whomever is proposing a solution and ID’ing the problem has the most to gain and nothing to lose.

“The goal is to pick the one or two best vaccine constructs and vaccinate the entire world—that’s 7 billion doses if it is a single-dose vaccine, and 14 billion if it is a two-dose vaccine.”

This is the “goal” as stated clearly by the author. I will never comply.

Bill is on record for desiring to cull population growth projections. Where does he get the sanction and authority to even mention this, let alone suggest ways to accomplish it?

Last edited:
I’d seriously rather read your “read” on the situation. Bill Gates is certifiably insane, in my opinion.

I'm maybe 80% through it. It covers a lot of the practical issues involved with addressing this pandemic. But if you think Gates is crazy, it's probably not of tremendous value.

Here's the paragraph I'm on now:
There are two types of PCR machines: high-volume batch processing machines and low-volume machines. Both have a role to play. The high-volume machines provide most of the capacity. The low volume machines are better when getting a result in less than an hour is beneficial. Everyone who makes these machines, and some new entrants, are making as many machines as they can. Adding this capacity and making full use of the machines that are already available will increase the testing capacity. The foundation is talking to the manufacturers about different ways to run the big machines that could make them more than twice as productive.
I feel like this is well-written/easy to understand. I'm learning things I didn't know. And it doesn't feel partisan.

But it's also not referencing things you could look up. If you don't take Gates at his word, this type of thing would just be boring or self-promoting.

Last edited:
I'm maybe 80% through it. It covers a lot of the practical issues involved with addressing this pandemic. But if you think Gates is crazy, it's probably not of tremendous value.

Here's the paragraph I'm on now:

I feel like this is well-written/easy to understand. I'm learning things I didn't know. And it doesn't feel partisan.

But it's also not referencing things you could look up. If you don't take Gates at his word, this type of thing would just be boring or self-promoting.

I’ve heard Gates utter some rather chilling statements in the past, and this, to me, reads like a plan to influence and control people in mass proportions based on a pandemic that, by his admission, has a lot more questions than answers.

“Entire sectors of the economy are shut down. It is important to realize that this is not just the result of government policies restricting activities.

He cannot be serious. Like I said, the big lies are the easiest to accept.

”When people hear that an infectious disease is spreading widely, they change their behavior. There was never a choice to have the strong economy of 2019 in 2020.”​

This is ominous language, IMO. We are sheep, (he’s) the shepherd. The word “hear” is especially chilling. The writer in me would have chosen a word like “learn” or “recognize.”

Last edited:
I’ve heard Gates utter some rather chilling statements in the past, and this, to me, reads like a plan to influence and control people in mass proportions based on a pandemic that, by his admission, has a lot more questions than answers.
“Entire sectors of the economy are shut down. It is important to realize that this is not just the result of government policies restricting activities.

What's not serious about that? That's common sense.

I'll have to think about what's ominous about 'hear' rather than 'learn'. The difference isn't obvious to me.

Last edited:
What's not serious about that? That's common sense.

“Not just the result” ... masterfully put by the writer. Government is, by an overwhelming influence, responsible for “shutting down” businesses and “restricting activities.”

I'll have to think about what's ominous about 'hear' rather than 'learn'. The difference isn't obvious to me.

That’s blatantly obvious to me. People hear things all the time that are not true and believe them. Few really learn on their own and make their own mistakes in research and discovery. I’ve said all along that I trust no “traditional” sources in these, or most, circumstances. More than ever is the opportunity for self-informative study, and Bill Gates is not a reliable source for me. He’s outlining a panacea that has no guarantees save for a few people to make billions and to inject us with a vaccine as if we were chattel, which is what we are to him, in my opinion.

Where is the appeal in Gates’s blog to “discover for yourself” what the situation is? Its absence is glaring.

You mentioned the absence of references, save for the three links that simply cite what he’s talking about and nothing evidentiary.

Last edited:
?Not just the result? ... masterfully put by the writer. Government is, by an overwhelming influence, responsible for ?shutting down? businesses and ?restricting activities.?

That?s blatantly obvious to me. People hear things all the time that are not true and believe them. Few really learn on their own and make their own mistakes in research and discovery. I?ve said all along that I trust no ?traditional? sources in these, or most, circumstances. More than ever is the opportunity for self-informative study, and Bill Gates is not a reliable source for me. He?s outlining a panacea that has no guarantees save for a few people to make billions and to inject us with a vaccine as if we were chattel, which is what we are to him, in my opinion.

Where is the appeal in Gates?s blog to ?discover for yourself? what the situation is? Its absence is glaring.

You mentioned the absence of references, save for the three links that simply cite what he?s talking about and nothing evidentiary.

I would trust him over Trump any day of the week. I doubt Bill is telling anyone to inject Disinfectant. But hell Maybe Bill doesn?t donate much of his money. While I am wary of any vaccines there are some that have proven their worth. I?d rather have Bill as president over the clown in the Oval Office

I would trust him over Trump any day of the week. I doubt Bill is telling anyone to inject Disinfectant. But hell Maybe Bill doesn?t donate much of his money. While I am wary of any vaccines there are some that have proven their worth. I?d rather have Bill as president over the clown in the Oval Office

Trump told no one to inject disinfectant. Bill, however, has designs on limiting global population growth and injecting every single person on the planet with a vaccine. No thank you.

Trump may be a ?clown?; Gates is a social engineer on a scale we can?t measure. People forget that his father was the head of Planned Parenthood.

Trump told no one to inject disinfectant. Bill, however, has designs on limiting global population growth and injecting every single person on the planet with a vaccine. No thank you.

Trump may be a “clown”; Gates is a social engineer on a scale we can’t measure. People forget that his father was the head of Planned Parenthood.

Go look at the clips. Sunlight heat, humidity, and disinfectant. It’s all over the yesterdays news and internet lol. The dipshit had to walk it back today and say he was being sarcastic. The Trump Administration is a fucking clown show. But that is nothing new.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/wh...ctants-left-even-close-aides-shocked-n1192031

He is backtracking big time today lol..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...us-live-news-trump-cuomo-georgia-cases-latest

Last edited:
Back