Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

dammit, why the F is Shane not starting at QB?

Ive watched him enough to know hes not very good. He'll make some plays with his athleticism to get himself out of a jam he usually puts himself in. Even when he has a good game he usually makes critical errors to lose the game. Hes not a good qb....if hes the best we can get than thats why were a middle of the road program the last decade. Grooming one of your other guys is the only way this program improves moving forward. You guys keep saying shane hasnt done anything to impress. ... what has dg done the last 2 years that was impressive? Lose an ohio state game?

Ps...underclassmen start over seniors all the time in today's game. ..... this isn't 1980.

Last edited:
So all things being equal (neither has been impressive) you go with the guy with more experience as it gives you the best chance to win now. We are playing to win games this season, not worrying about next year. We know we've been middle of the road...the only way to stop being middle of the road is to start beating the MSUs the OSUs and the NDs of the world. You think Morris stands a better chance playing in EL or Columbus this season than Gardner? I don't.

Morris will have his time to shine the next two years. It won't hurt him to sit and learn for one more year, and play mop up duty if need be. If Gardner lays a total egg against ND now then I might begin to change my tune. We'll see.

Morris will have his time to shine the next two years. It won't hurt him to sit and learn for one more year, and play mop up duty if need be. If Gardner lays a total egg against ND now then I might begin to change my tune. We'll see.

The very short season is a success thus far, inasmuch as Michigan, in its only gamre, did what M was expected to do.

A lot of times that didn't happen last year; maybe some on Gardner, some on the O line, some on the coaching and play calling, and of course a good amount on the defense.

Morris was also not as good as was expected last season; I don't think Michigan was favored in the BWW Bowl, but Michigan was definitely expected to play better.

So we're one for one the way things are as far as performing up to expectations.

Let's see what happens Game 2 at South Bend.

So all things being equal (neither has been impressive) you go with the guy with more experience as it gives you the best chance to win now. We are playing to win games this season, not worrying about next year. We know we've been middle of the road...the only way to stop being middle of the road is to start beating the MSUs the OSUs and the NDs of the world. You think Morris stands a better chance playing in EL or Columbus this season than Gardner? I don't.

Dude, you have them losing to nd.....do you think gardner beats msu and osu this year?

Dude, you have them losing to nd.....do you think gardner beats msu and osu this year?

I predicted they lose to ND yes, but it's just a silly prediction. I can also easily see Michigan winning that game...but that is not the point. Gardner I believe gives them a better CHANCE to win...doesn't mean they will either way with Gardner or Morris.

As far as EL and Columbus....not likely at all either guy has success in those two places. Still Gardner has been there before, and gives them a higher chance of success. Just my opinion. A lot will depend on how things unfold during the year as I said. If Gardner looks average to below average, than sure maybe we need to see what the sophomore can do.

Ive watched him enough to know hes not very good. He'll make some plays with his athleticism to get himself out of a jam he usually puts himself in. Even when he has a good game he usually makes critical errors to lose the game. Hes not a good qb....if hes the best we can get than thats why were a middle of the road program the last decade. Grooming one of your other guys is the only way this program improves moving forward. You guys keep saying shane hasnt done anything to impress. ... what has dg done the last 2 years that was impressive? Lose an ohio state game?

Ps...underclassmen start over seniors all the time in today's game. ..... this isn't 1980.

They did back then as well.

They did back then as well.

Rick Leach had won the starting job by game three of his freshman season during the mid-70s; I don't remember the specific year; byco will know.

In the early 70s Dennis Franklin beat out whatever Sr. he competed against in his sophomore season; whomever that was.

Steve Smith was a three year starter during the era he played in.

Rick Leach had won the starting job by game three of his freshman season during the mid-70s; I don't remember the specific year; byco will know.

1975 … he replaced Mark Elzinga.

In the early 70s Dennis Franklin beat out whatever Sr. he competed against in his sophomore season; whomever that was.
That was Tom Slade in 1972. Was the starter in M's 11-1 season the year before. Kevin Casey also started a few games, too.

Steve Smith was a three year starter during the era he played in.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Can we revisit this? I don't see how Shane can do much worse.

Sure...Shane should not be the starter even after this loss.

The problems were far more the terrible job by the coordinators did and lack of execution by many players. Particularly after the missed FG, which for some reason was equivalent to the Broncos safety in last hears Super Bowl. Pretty sure Broncos fans were not demanding Peyton Manning be benched in favor of his backup.

We already covered all the reasons why Shane is even less ready to be starting than DG by a longshot. There were very few issues I bad with DG in this game. Nuss however...well, he better get his shit together because his plays sucked.

Sure...Shane should not be the starter even after this loss.

The problems were far more the terrible job by the coordinators did and lack of execution by many players. Particularly after the missed FG, which for some reason was equivalent to the Broncos safety in last hears Super Bowl. Pretty sure Broncos fans were not demanding Peyton Manning be benched in favor of his backup.

We already covered all the reasons why Shane is even less ready to be starting than DG by a longshot. There were very few issues I bad with DG in this game. Nuss however...well, he better get his shit together because his plays sucked.

Who needs to prepare for the future when there are games to get embarrassed in now? Michigan is not going to do anything this year. Gardener had his chance and he failed. It is time to start getting ready for next year. To compare Gardener to Peyton Manning is asinine.

Who needs to prepare for the future when there are games to get embarrassed in now? Michigan is not going to do anything this year. Gardener had his chance and he failed. It is time to start getting ready for next year. To compare Gardener to Peyton Manning is asinine.

No less assinine than blaming this loss on DG who actually did not cause this loss and in fact was pretty good. This was a team loss.

The last thing the coaches should do is bench DG. Might as well aim to win less games than RR did in 08.

No less assinine than blaming this loss on DG who actually did not cause this loss and in fact was pretty good. This was a team loss.

The last thing the coaches should do is bench DG. Might as well aim to win less games than RR did in 08.

I didn't blame Gardener for the loss, your assumption is as asinine as your comparison of Gardener to Peyton Manning. I do not think that Morris would have won the game if he started. 189 yds. 0 TD's 3 ints 1 fumble is not a "pretty good" game for Gardener. That is a shitty game for anyone.

Sometimes you need to prepare for the future. Maybe if Michigan gave Gardener a chance when he was a freshman/Sophmore he would be a more effective QB now. Michigan should use the rest of this season to prepare for next year, and Gardener is not part of next year. Michigan is not going to shot put its way to the big ten championship this year.

By that logic we should only ever start Freshmen and then bench them by their junior year at the latest.

Come on. Do you want to be competitive at least in most games or lose just about every one? Shane has proven he is not ready yet. He might never be, as mentioned he may never start next year if he doesn't improve.

Just stop it, we already went through all the reasons why Shane should definitely NOT start this hear over DG.

The current version of Tom Brady could be our QB right now and we still would go 7-6. Our offensive line is a tire fire.

By that logic we should only ever start Freshmen and then bench them by their junior year at the latest.

Come on. Do you want to be competitive at least in most games or lose just about every one? Shane has proven he is not ready yet. He might never be, as mentioned he may never start next year if he doesn't improve.

Just stop it, we already went through all the reasons why Shane should definitely NOT start this hear over DG.

I would like to see what Morris can do. I already know why Gardener can do. Why didn't Morris get some time in the blow out? How do you know that he isn't ready? I think that a Henson/Brady split time should be in effect this season. If Gardener outplays Morris in a game, let him play, if he doesn't let Morris play.

I wouldn't call for ND to share time with their QB, he looked phenomenal. I wouldn't call for FSU to bench their QB, he is great. But Michigan has issues and no job on the team should be safe. Especially the job of a QB that has never played a good game against a quality opponent. Playing time should be earned through success on the field, not through seniority.

Back