Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

dammit, why the F is Shane not starting at QB?

I would like to see what Morris can do. I already know why Gardener can do. Why didn't Morris get some time in the blow out? How do you know that he isn't ready? I think that a Henson/Brady split time should be in effect this season. If Gardener outplays Morris in a game, let him play, if he doesn't let Morris play.

I wouldn't call for ND to share time with their QB, he looked phenomenal. I wouldn't call for FSU to bench their QB, he is great. But Michigan has issues and no job on the team should be safe. Especially the job of a QB that has never played a good game against a quality opponent. Playing time should be earned through success on the field, not through seniority.

November 30th, 2013 - Michigan vs Ohio State

DG - 32/45 451 Yards 4 TD 0 INT 9 Rushes 10 Yards 1 TD

Ohio State was undefeated that year just an FYI so how has DG never played a good game against a quality opponent?

Ohio State was undefeated that year just an FYI so how has DG never played a good game against a quality opponent?

He lost.

But you are right, that is a good game. I stand corrected on never playing a good game. I still think that Morris should get a chance after the egg that Gardener laid today.

He did not lose the game he is the only reason we were in the game. Defense lost us the game saying he lost does not prove or make the comment he has never played good in a meaningful game against a good opponent any less true.

But you are right, that is a good game. I stand corrected on never playing a good game. I still think that Morris should get a chance after the egg that Gardener laid today.

Michigan run game averaged 2.9 yards per carry. In all seriousness have you played QB at any level? When your run game sucks it puts you in a horrible position as a QB you have to do it all and you force throws due to your team letting you down. Especially when you have no run game and a defense who you feel is going to allow a TD every trip down the field.

Michigan run game averaged 2.9 yards per carry. In all seriousness have you played QB at any level? When your run game sucks it puts you in a horrible position as a QB you have to do it all and you force throws due to your team letting you down. Especially when you have no run game and a defense who you feel is going to allow a TD every trip down the field.

No, I haven't played QB. What does that have to do with throwing off of your back foot? I've played third base, and I know how to throw a F'ing ball. I know that when you jump up in the air you aren't going to be able to throw as effectively as when your feet are planted. Why doesn't Gardener realize that? He is starting QB for Michigan? Why didn't Denard know that? I don't remember ever seeing Peyton manning or Tom Brady jumping up in the air like Jeter and trying to throw the ball 25 yards downfield.

Last edited:

While I do agree with not benching DG, ND actually had a lower YPC...it was under 2.0 actually.

Regardless, this was a team loss and you don't bench the QB because of a team loss, especially when the backup is not close to bei g a capable starter. The falicy is that Shane will improve by playing against better competition than the 2nd and 3rd string during garbage time. Reality is he cannot beat those defenses even when playing against vastly inferior teams, so he has not yet earned the right to play against starters over a healthy DG.

Again, we would have lost with Tom Brady at QB tonight. Our offensive line is a pile of shit and they will lead us to another mediocre season. Start looking forward to basketball.

missed a critical 4th down. fumbled the ball away to lose the lead. then threw a interception when trying to go for the win. and lost. great game.

Sure...Shane should not be the starter even after this loss.

The problems were far more the terrible job by the coordinators did and lack of execution by many players. Particularly after the missed FG, which for some reason was equivalent to the Broncos safety in last hears Super Bowl. Pretty sure Broncos fans were not demanding Peyton Manning be benched in favor of his backup.

We already covered all the reasons why Shane is even less ready to be starting than DG by a longshot. There were very few issues I bad with DG in this game. Nuss however...well, he better get his shit together because his plays sucked.

what game were you watching? DG sucked ass. I bet you a million dollars Shane could get atleast 0 points. If we cant bench him after leading this team to the worst performance in like 20 years....then I guess I have to just root for him to sprain an ankle or something.

Again, Shane hasn't proven he can lead the team against terrible teams like Appy State...and that was vs some of their 2nd string at that. Why the fuck should he deserve to start? Just because you think he will finally get good by seasons end? Great idea....NOT!

And with the shitshow on the OL, the immobility of Shane will get him killed and he could end up with injuries that prevent him from ever playing again.

Finally, as bad as DGs mechanics are at times, Shane needs to improve his far more before getting the call as a starter. This is also why people are thinking he will not be the starter next year. Something is amiss when he is throwing the ball, IF he could correct that some time this year and the OL dramatically improves, then maybe one could legitimately argue he deserves to start. Maybe.

Again, Shane hasn't proven he can lead the team against terrible teams like Appy State...and that was vs some of their 2nd string at that. Why the fuck should he deserve to start? Just because you think he will finally get good by seasons end? Great idea....NOT!

Yes thats exactly my point....getting shane good by seasons end vs Devin being good never. And stop with the "shane has proven he cant lead this team"....thats absolute shit. Throwing a pick in garbage time when you get limited practice snaps as a back up qb does not mean you can't lead a team. Losing 31-0 when you get ALL the practice snaps... does.

apparently Hoke has "opened up" the qb competition and could name the starter for this week by wed.

If Morris is the future, just play him now. MSU did the same with with Cook/Maxwell, and had unreal success with it. Gardner's time is almost up at Michigan, and you can tell he's just not himself anymore.

I still think we have a better record going forward with Gardner. I'm starting to think I'm the board optimist. Which is pretty bad considering where I'm at.

Well, hard to believe that our record would be any worse if we started Shane game 1.

Back