Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Lions - Team Notes

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/8...employ-full-time-referees-for-2017-and-beyond
NFL will employ up to 24 full-time referees for 2017 and beyond.
Full-time jobs mean big pay raises for the men in stripes.
SBNation

Will full-time officials make a difference? On Wednesday, the NFLRA ratified the implementation of full-time officials that the league had sought for quite some time. And the referee’s union did it thanks to two pretty significant concessions that should at least help the NFL avoid the pool of qualified officials thinning out: 1) An official can’t be compelled to go full-time; and 2) Full-time officials can maintain outside employment, provided the NFL remains that official’s primary employer.

The concern from the jump with going to full-time officials was that many of the most qualified guys were also the most accomplished off the field, and, as such, the most likely to leave officiating if they were forced to focus completely on football. As it was negotiated, those officials can now either say “no” if they’re recruited to go full-time or keep their toe in another pool if they want to do it. To me, that’s a sensible solution to give the NFL the dedicated group it wanted while making sure the larger group is as strong as possible.

Some more details from the agreement? The set-up—ensuring that each field position is represented among the 21-24 full-timers and no more than five come from any one spot—should give the league a wide range of perspectives from game action. And to be sure of it, those employed will have to engage at the league level. The full-timers will be at meetings for the competition committee, general managers advisory committee, coaches’ subcommittee and player safety advisory panel. They’ll also be at the league office once a month, work OTAs and minicamps, help mentor new officials, participate in college and high school officiating clinics, scout lower-level officials, work at least one game day with Alberto Riveron and Co. on Park Ave., do video review work, and keep a constant dialogue with the league office. That’s just in case you were wondering how they’ll fill all the time.

“In-season, there isn’t a whole more that guys can do other than what they’re required to do to get ready for the next—studying video, looking at tendencies and all that,” said NFLRA executive director Scott Green. “The big difference for them will be during the dark period (designated time off for all part-timers that runs from the end of the season until May 15).”

So what difference will you be able to see? As I wrote Wednesday, the league hopes that, through improved communication, the immediate affect will be more consistency from crew to crew. We’ll see if that much is visible.

SI

Last edited:
TRAINING CAMP LESSON FOR THIS WEEK.
These days, it seems like every quarterback has had his own version of a swing coach from the time he could grip a football.

Matthew Stafford had one when he was a kid, too. The guy?s name was John Stafford. And after those first few lessons from dad, Matt would just rely on the coaches for whatever team he was on, eschewing the outside help that so many guys seek out now.

?I was 8, and my dad was teaching me in the front yard,? Stafford said. ?I felt like I threw the ball pretty well. My dad understood the mechanics of throwing and got me into a pretty good spot.?

It?s hard to argue much with the results. Stafford won a state title in high school, started three seasons in the SEC, became the No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft, and has made two Pro Bowls.

And yet, 20 years later at 28 years old, he headed back to the well that his dad dug for him when he was in elementary school. Over the last few months, Stafford made trips to Orange County to visit with Adam Dedeaux and Tom House?who work with nearly half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL?and try to take his game to the next level.

Which is where we find our training camp lesson: Closing in on 30 years old used to matter for a quarterback, and it still does, but in a much better way. In today?s NFL, players at that position are actually getting better after 30. Four of the league?s top five in passer rating last year were in their 30s, and four of the last six Super Bowls were won by quarterbacks in their 30s.

Lions coach Jim Caldwell doesn?t think that?s a coincidence, either. In fact, as he sees it, his quarterback?s growth last year is proof that he gets it the same way that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning did when they were around his age.

?It?s a natural progression,? Caldwell said. ?I always talk about that window between the fifth year and the eighth year. What kind of climb are they making? Are they climbing? If they?re climbing, you can tell you have somebody special and that?s what he?s doing at this point in time. He?s always been a fine leader, he?s just started to get a little more vocal, he takes a little more ownership of things, runs the show.

?He?s always done all the little things to get better. That?s the thing about him now, he?s looking at the fine details of every single little thing that we do, and trying to find a way to improve it.?

And if he needed motivation to take it to the next level, last year gave it to him. Stafford got off to a red-hot start, and his passer rating was 100.5 through three quarters of the season. A dislocated middle finger on his throwing hand caused his play to plummet in December, but having the taste of how far he could push his game (coordinator Jim Bob Cooter has helped) pushed Stafford to find new solutions.

SI

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2017/08/lions_ot_rick_wagner_suffers_i.html#incart_river_index
Lions OT Rick Wagner suffers injury in joint practice against Colts.
Mlive

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...-rick-wagner-injury-colts-practice/555921001/
Lions RT Rick Wagner injured in Colts practice, 'should be alright'.
Freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...10/lions-wagner-injured-will-right/104467298/
Lions? Wagner injured, but will ?be all right?.
Detnews

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ns-list-of-banged-up-lions-offensive-lineman/
Rick Wagner joins list of banged up Lions offensive lineman.
PFT

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017...k-wagner-injury-scare-caldwell-should-be-okay
Lions RT Rick Wagner suffers injury scare, Caldwell says ?should be okay?.
Starting right tackle Rick Wagner suffered an injury on Thursday, but it appears to be minor.
PrideOfDetroit

Lions coach Jim Caldwell told reporters in Indianapolis that RT Rick Wagner suffered an injury during joint practices with the Colts, but called it "a little issue," according to the Detroit Free Press. If he's out for any length of time, that would knock out both of Detroit's starting tackles, Wagner and Taylor Decker. Detroit has had offensive line injury issues all camp long.

Thought this quote from Jim Caldwell about Kenny Golladay today was true of almost all rookies. Based on reports from reporters in Indianapolis, Golladay dropped some passes while CB Teez Tabor had a couple good plays. We still have very, very high standards for him. "It's not an easy thing playing in this league and you have to be able to put the mental and the physical together. And I think for us, what we have to do is just keep working him, keep demanding. He's done well up to this point. He dropped a few obviously today, but I think you'll see what happens tomorrow. Usually they make a pretty good bounce back, so we'll see."

Michael Rothstein espn

Back