Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers 2019 MLB Draft Riley Greene 1st Round

After watching this offense the last couple years, I have a hard time criticizing this pick because he might not be great on defense. If he meets his projections, I'm happy.

After watching this offense the last couple years, I have a hard time criticizing this pick because he might not be great on defense. If he meets his projections, I'm happy.
Hard to have projections on a 18 year old. Plus you have to really hit if the defense isn't there.. I mentioned Dmitri Young earlier and he was a solid hitter in his career but people remember that bad defense. He ended up being a DH.

Worrying about who the Tigers draft assumes they're capable of developing said player properly...I don't have that kind of faith in this organization.

Yup spot on. This team stinks at developing hittters more then anything.

Hard to have projections on a 18 year old. Plus you have to really hit if the defense isn't there.. I mentioned Dmitri Young earlier and he was a solid hitter in his career but people remember that bad defense. He ended up being a DH.

I mean, you're talking about one of the worst fielders of my generation. I haven't seen a single scout say this guy is that bad on defense. Just that it's not a strength.

Last edited:
Tigers select 3B Nick Quintana with No. 47 pick in 2019 MLB draft

The Detroit Tigers have selected Arizona third baseman Nick Quintana with the No. 47 overall pick in the MLB draft. Quintana, 21, was their second and final pick of the first day of the 2019 MLB draft.

Quintana’s calling card is his above-average raw power. He hit 34 home runs in three seasons with the Wildcats, and added 17 doubles each year. He batted .346/.469/.630 with 14 homers in his junior season, pushing his way up draft boards as the spring progressed. Scouts have been a bit worried with his high strikeout rates — they have hovered around 20 percent, somewhat high for an advanced college bat — but he upped his walk rate to an impressive 17 percent this year.

There are also questions about Quintana’s ability to hit with a wooden bat. He hit a paltry .230/.312/.423 in two seasons in the Cape Cod League, with a gaudy 38 percent strikeout rate across 69 games. He did add 11 home runs in that span, however, so there was some power to speak of. He also showed some growth in his second summer on the Cape, improving his OPS by over 100 points while improving his strikeout and walk rates.

Quintana was previously drafted by the Boston Red Sox back in 2016, when he was a talented shortstop prospect coming out of high school in Nevada. He has since moved over to third base after bulking up in college, where his quick hands and athleticism should help him become a solid defender. He is a below-average runner, but MLB Pipeline grades him as a potential plus defender with an above-average arm.

Quintana is ranked a bit lower than 47th on most draft boards. MLB Pipeline has him 77th on their list, and Baseball America ranked him 81st overall. However, FanGraphs was higher on him than most, listing him 43rd on their board prior to the draft. Regardless of draft position, the Tigers are hoping to smooth out the kinks in Quintana’s swing and tap into his raw power, giving them a solid run producer at the next level.

I mean, you're talking about one of the worst fielders of my generation. I haven't seen a single scout say this guy is that bad on defense. Just that it's not a strength.
Of course not I'm just generalizing here. And hopefully he's better than that..

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/6...uintana-detroit-tigers-second-round-47th-pick
Tigers select 3B Nick Quintana with No. 47 pick in 2019 MLB draft.
Quintana is a power hitter who could blossom into a middle-of-the-order threat in the pros.
BYBTB

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/arizo...a-nick-quintana-detroit-tigers-2019-mlb-draft
Tigers take Arizona?s Nick Quintana in second round of MLB Draft.
ArizonaBaseball

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/6...tigers-open-thread-riley-greene-nick-quintana
What do you think of the Tigers? draft picks so far?
The Tigers selected Riley Greene and Nick Quintana with their first two picks of the 2019 MLB draft.
BYBTB

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...quintana-detroit-tigers-mlb-draft/1335774001/
Detroit Tigers take Nick Quintana with second-round pick in MLB draft.
Freep

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/day-1-draft-review/
Day 1 Draft Review.
Fangraphs

Last edited:
https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/6...oit-tigers-podcast-riley-greene-nick-quintana
Bless You Boys Tigers Blog Podcast Draft Edition: Nick Quintana?s hair is magic and other thoughts on day one. 42 minutes.
The staff of Bless You Boys reviews the week in baseball from a Tigers? perspective.

Well that took bloody forever, didn?t it?

Day one of the 2019 MLB draft is finally in the books, and no the Tigers didn?t draft a hard-throwing right-hander. 1B Andrew Vaughn didn?t fall to the Tigers, but OF Riley Greene is a nice prospect to add to the mix and immediately becomes the best bat in the farm system.

There weren?t too many early surprises overall, but the Tigers offered a minor one in the second, selecting 3B Nick Quintana from the University of Arizona. Quintana had a monster junior season though struggles in the Cape Cod League last year continued to keep expectations a little short of first round talent.

Brandon Day, co-host of the BYB Podcast looks over the opening day of the draft. We?ll discuss the Tigers picks, make the best player available argument, and caution against any hasty assessments of what look like a quality pair of prospects for the Tigers in the first two rounds.

Tigers, given how Nick C has performed, esp on O so far this season, might have been able to sign him to a shorter and more team-friendly contract, closing the gap a bit more btw his possible RF replacement in Greene. But not now with Borass as his agent, that ship has sailed. I don't know what kind of contract that he thinks that he will be offered from maybe a few ballclubs at best after this season, if he can't/won't wind up hitting ~.300 with 20 or more homers, but it certainly won't be very big and for as long as they will want.

I would be very surprised if the Tigers can trade him, much less for more than a middling prospect and/or a 3rd/4th rounder by the July deadline.

Last edited:
Most MLB ballclubs are like the Tigers, they have had one player over the past 40+ years who was picked in the second round and who wound up becoming a longtime All-Star or HoFer. And of those, some didn't blossom until after they were traded to another team.

Of the 40-odd picks made btw the Tigers' first and second, maybe a handful will prove to be worth their slots. So whether the ballclub made a slight reach or not with Quintana might not matter, since it is their player-development corps who all too often comes up lacking.

Last edited:
Why is Greene's twitter riddled with "UF commit" stuff all over it? Even posts he retweeted just over a week ago mention it.

https://twitter.com/FHSAA/status/1131577440814477312

@FHSAA
Congrats to @GatorsBB commit @Greene21Riley of @HagHSBaseball for being named the Florida @Gatorade ⚾️ Player of the Year! #GatoradePOY #FHSAA

I mean, it's not like he's going to get drafted higher than 5 if he goes to college. Am I missing something? He's going to get $$$ signing with Detroit right now. Just surprised to see all the college commit stuff so close to the draft. Maybe it's normal, I don't know.

last year I was pretty excited about their first few picks...not so much this year.

Why is Greene's twitter riddled with "UF commit" stuff all over it? Even posts he retweeted just over a week ago mention it.

https://twitter.com/FHSAA/status/1131577440814477312

I mean, it's not like he's going to get drafted higher than 5 if he goes to college. Am I missing something? He's going to get $$$ signing with Detroit right now. Just surprised to see all the college commit stuff so close to the draft. Maybe it's normal, I don't know.
That was before the draft though there is always a chance he could go to college. Maybe he wants an education, at least part of one? Imo, he signs with Detroit and I've kind of warmed up to him.

That was before the draft though there is always a chance he could go to college. Maybe he wants an education, at least part of one? Imo, he signs with Detroit and I've kind of warmed up to him.

His twitter still says "UF commit"
https://twitter.com/Greene21Riley

I hope he signs too. Being a position player, we will def see him in the minors this year. If he ends up in Grand Rapids I will def be going to a few Whitecaps games.

His twitter still says "UF commit"
https://twitter.com/Greene21Riley

I hope he signs too. Being a position player, we will def see him in the minors this year. If he ends up in Grand Rapids I will def be going to a few Whitecaps games.

He will sign if he and the Tigers' FO reach an agreement on a contract equal to or greater than his slot. Until or if that happens, I don't see anything wrong with him leaving that up...although it would be better if he was to delete it and modify what his intentions are after being selected last night with a new one.

That quote was placed within his Twitter user profile settings, its not a pinned tweet, and it looks like he hasn't logged into his Twitter since Sunday. Maybe he will notice and change it the next time that he does sign in.

Last edited:
Back