Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Five years ago, Austin Meadows signed with the Pittsburgh Pirates out of high school after committing to Clemson University. He did so as a first round pick.
Three months ago, his younger brother did much the same thing. Drafted in the second round by the Detroit Tigers, Parker Meadows opted to ink a professional contract rather than attend Clemson. There are other parallels as well. Most notably, the Loganville, Georgia siblings are tall, lanky outfielders with sweet swings from the left side of the plate.

Parker, who debuted in the Gulf Coast League before getting into six games at short-season Connecticut, believes he has more pop than his older brother.

?We?re a little bit similar, but not much similar,? Parker Meadows told me prior to a recent New York-Penn League contest. ?To be honest, I feel like I have a little more on the power side. And I always dog him about that when we?re out there taking BP, too.?

Younger brother delivered those jabs with a smile, adding that he?s learned a lot from Austin, who is now in the Tampa Bay Rays organization. He?s also learned from their father, and from the hitting coaches he?s worked with since graduating from Grayson High.

?We?ve been cutting down on my swing ? my coaches in summer ball, and my dad, especially,? explained the 18-year-old. ?My hitting coach in the GCL, Rafael Gil, as well. ?We?ve been working on being shorter to the ball and on not flying open, which I was doing a little bit earlier this season. I was maybe trying to get a little too big, and was too anxious to the pitch, rather than just staying quiet with the pitch. You know, just staying calm.?

Parker Meadows slashed a smooth .290/.377/.473, with four home runs, in his first 106 professional plate appearances.

Fangraphs

https://247sports.com/mlb/tigers/Ar...stin-Verlander-Memories-Promotions-121777168/
Tigs Town Bourbon and Baseball BS Podcast - Episode 4: JV Memories and Promotions. 83 minutes.

Paul and Mark return to the podcast after a few week hiatus and tackle the return of Justin Verlander to Detroit in an Astros uniform and what are their fondest baseball memories.
In addition, they discuss the unusually large number of late-season minor league promotions the Tigers executed in August, as well as who they'll be watching closely among the big league call-ups this September, before wrapping up with an assessment of the Tigers facilities in the Dominican and Venezuela and how they stack up.

Key topics tackled;

Justin Verlander's return to Detroit as an Astro.

Paul and Mark's fondest baseball memories.

Slew of late season minor league promotions, especially Matt Manning and Daz Cameron.

September big league call-ups to watch closely and which of them might be on the roster Opening Day 2019.

State of the Tigers operations in the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

The Tigers announced that right-hander Johnny Barbato cleared waivers after being designated for assignment earlier this week. He?s been outrighted off the 40-man roster.
Barbato, 26, tossed just 6 2/3 innings for the Tigers this season and was tagged for nine earned runs in that time. However, he also pitched to an outstanding 1.45 ERA with 37 strikeouts against just 10 walks in 37 1/3 innings of Triple-A ball.
Barbato averages a bit better than 94 mph on his fastball and has averaged better than a strikeout per inning throughout his minor league career, but he?s struggled in parts of three MLB seasons with the Yankees, Pirates and Tigers.

MLBTR

Back