Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland on Phil Coke, who missed Friday night's game for the birth of his first child:
"I don?t know where he is. Wife had a baby at 2 o?clock this morning. He might have left town. I don?t know where he is.
I don?t know, I hope he?s here today. He obviously didn?t get much sleep, because they were at the hospital all day yesterday. Evidently it must?ve taken longer than they thought, because she delivered at 2 o?clock this morning. I know he was pretty well zonked out. I was hoping, by the time he?d pitch, it?d be about 6:30. I?m hoping he makes it, but I don?t know if he will or not, to be honest with you.
He might sleep and not wake up. That?s pretty stressful. That?s their first child. Had a baby girl. I saw a text of him holding the baby, but I haven?t seen him."
m.mowery

Andy Dirks: I feel good enough to play right now. This is by far the best it's felt.
Tigers trainer Kevin Rand: As long as (Dirks) comes in tomorrow and is responding well to what we did today, he'll go out on a rehab starting tomorrow night.

Kevin Rand: We told (Smyly) until he could tell us he felt exactly the same from one side to the other, we weren't going to play catch.

Rand: (Smyly) came in today and told us that he felt that today so he played catch this afternoon and had no problems playing catch.

Rand: (Smyly) went out about 60 ft, just threw nice and easy, went through his motion to make sure that he wasn't feeling anything.

Rand: (Alburquerque) threw a 35-pitch bullpen today, which we did up and down to simulate innings.

Rand: (Alburquerque) threw the ball very well so he'll be evaluated & if all goes well, he'll be ready to start a rehab assignment.

Rand: The best thing to do is start (Alburquerque) out in Lakeland, let him get his feet wet w/some inn. down there b4 you move him.

If feeling good, Tigers Dirks could play for the Toledo #MudHens Sunday night, as they have a 6 p.m. home game against Indy".

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/07/rick_porcello_shuts_down_chica.html
Rick Porcello shuts down Chicago White Sox as Detroit Tigers reclaim lead in AL Central with 7 - 1 win.
from Mlive

Winners in 12 of 14, and 25 of their last 37, the red-hot Tigers have now won four straight to leapfrog the White Sox and reclaim the division lead for the first time in nearly three months.
Detroit scored all of its runs with two outs and has now scored 35 of its 48 with two outs since the All-Star break.
According to STATS LLC, Detroit had scored only 129 of its 387 runs with two outs before the break.

Tigers patient as Coke enjoys birth of daughter.
When the media met with Tigers manager Jim Leyland on Saturday morning, it was unknown if left-handed reliever Phil Coke would be available for Saturday's game against the White Sox, but the skipper was hoping he would be.

The lefty, who celebrated his 30th birthday on Friday, was in the hospital all day and night on Friday celebrating the birth of his first child, a baby girl, with his wife, Bobbie.

"I hope he's here today, but of course he didn't get much sleep because they were at the hospital all day yesterday and evidently it must've taken longer than they thought because I think she delivered at 2 a.m," Leyland said.

Leyland said he had seen a texted picture of Coke with his newborn but had not seen Coke in person at that point -- around 12:30 p.m. ET -- and Coke understandably wasn't yet in the clubhouse for the game, which started at 4:10 p.m.

But Coke normally pitches in the seventh or eighth inning, so he wouldn't be needed until later in the day, anyway.

"I'm hoping by the time he pitches, it will be about 6:30 or so," Leyland said. "I'm hoping he makes it, but I'm not sure if he would or not, to be honest with you."
from the Tigers official site

Miggy was back at third a day after tweaking ankle.
Miguel Cabrera certainly gave the Tigers and their fans a scare on Friday night. The All-Star third baseman advanced to third base on a single from Prince Fielder in the eighth inning of a 4-2 win over the White Sox and started holding his right ankle.

Tigers head athletic trainer Kevin Rand and manager Jim Leyland immediately went out to check on Cabrera, who took a minute to walk it off. He remained in the game but was thrown out and tagged on the feet while sliding into home and walked back to the dugout gingerly.

The cause of the injury wasn't evident, as Cabrera didn't slide into third or stumble on his way to the base. But he finished the game and said he was fine afterward.

That was the case before Saturday's game as well.

"He's fine," Leyland said. "I'm not really sure what he did. He just twisted it a little bit or something. But he's fine."

Beyond the assurances of Leyland and Cabrera, the biggest indicator of the third baseman's health was that he was penciled into the starting lineup at third base instead of serving as the designated hitter.
from the Tigers official site

Back