Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do you have a 2007 Appalachian State horror story?

You mean here?

Looks like the spot. No BTN at his apartment but we didn't really care - figured it would be a blowout. As I recall, we were going to grab carry out at Neptune's and head up north for a hike or maybe a round of golf. Heard the 2nd qtr score on the radio while cruising up PCH so we went to Duke's for lunch and the rest of the game instead. Didn't get the desired result, fish tacos were just ok and no dolphins playing in the surf outside the bar like I've seen at Duke's before. Pretty much sucked.

Just happened to drive by today .....

I've been to the one in Huntington Beach and one in Maui but not the Malibu spot. The beach today was crazy there - tons of surfers and cars pulling over for pics.

And me in my rental minivan, suit & tie!

I don't remember much from the App. St. Horror Show; all I remember was half-watching the game in my room, getting nervous that Michigan wasn't putting them away, and something akin to absolute disbelief that they managed to piss the game away. I don't think I left the house that day, which is good because I was really embarrassed.

While I realize that loss was worse, the Toledo game drove me nuts. I was there and tried to tell myself that, given my connections, I'd be happy no matter who won. But in the end I had to root for UM. I was at the end of the field where our kicker (Lopata?) missed the FG that would've sent the game into OT. What made that hurt even more was that, from my angle, it looked like he made it. I heard a cheer from the upper level of the stadium and thought it had gone through. . .only to realize that the cheers were coming from UT fans. I was infuriated, especially since that Toledo team sucked. There were also a couple of drunk asshole UM fans who were verbally harassing the UT mascot for most of the game until they finally left, which also grated on my nerves (their voices had that wonderful, stab-you-in-the-eardrums quality).

My co-workers aren't sports fans in the slightest, but a few years ago when we were doing one of our many office cleanups, my boss found an enlarged montage of pics from the Toledo game, with the score clearly posted. Just to mess with me, she put it on the cabinet over my head, where it stayed until I re-arranged my office space last year. I could've taken it down at any time, but by then the wound had healed and I just ignored it.

Remember it as clear as day. I was at Clearwater Beach with my family. I had to run to a beachside bar and watch the ESPN ticker. I saw that Michigan took the lead, ESPN cut to the highlight of Hart's TD. Then they cut to another highlight of Michigan getting that INT with a few minutes left. Lloyd decided to go mega conservative (didn't get to see those highlights), and punted.

Then remember staring at the ticker, staring. And then the ticker said "Score update" and showed Appy State taking the lead and then the FG highlight. I couldn't breathe. And then they cut to a quick highlight of the long completion to set up the last FG attempt. And I waited. And waited. And then the alert came across, "Final score." And I knew Michigan lost. Gut wrenching.

And no, the Toledo loss isn't even in the same realm as the Appy State loss. Michigan was 2-3 when they lost to Toledo. Basically an obvious indication that the team truly did suck, and there was going to be serious growing pains.

Losing to a 1AA team at home, with potential national championship aspirations, returning seniors all across the board, it is considered one of the biggest upsets in college football history for a reason. Michigan losing to Toledo was just one shitty team losing to another.

Just happened to drive by today .....

I've been to the one in Huntington Beach and one in Maui but not the Malibu spot. The beach today was crazy there - tons of surfers and cars pulling over for pics.

And me in my rental minivan, suit & tie!

No wonder ....15-20 foot waves due to hurricanes out in ocean.

Epic surfing!!

Haven't posted in a bit, always enjoy the conversations you guys have. I was given a ticket that day in the student section... And I just remember saying to my friend, "ehh they'll get it going soon.." To "ehh they're a second half team" to "ehh this is odd..." "To ehhh what the fuck" to "hey look the game is now over and appy state student is now standing behind me in the student section singing their fight song". Don't know why I kept the ticket, but now I need to know what to do with the old one after the game is over. And the chipotle card will just help either way lol. Go blue

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 12
No wonder ....15-20 foot waves due to hurricanes out in ocean.

Epic surfing!!

Wow, that's nuts. Did you get the minivan because you brought your surfboard? Practical but not nearly as cool as if you rented a convertible - top down, suit and tie, board sticking up in passenger seat, making deals on your cell phone - very Hollywood.

Last edited:
I was in Put in Bay (Lake Erie Island) not really paying any attention to football. We were on a balcony bar that is probably 500 yards from all of the bars. We could hear yelling from inside all of the bars...really loud! We decided to go into the bar where we were and caught the last few minutes. Needless to say, since Put in Bay is off the shore of Port Clinton Oh the ratio of OSU fans to UM fans was probably 10:1 so most of the yelling was cheering. I ran into a bunch of UM fans wearing jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. that night. Most of them were shit faced drunk....of course, most people are shit faced drunk when they are over there!

I was in Put in Bay (Lake Erie Island) not really paying any attention to football. We were on a balcony bar that is probably 500 yards from all of the bars. We could hear yelling from inside all of the bars...really loud! We decided to go into the bar where we were and caught the last few minutes. Needless to say, since Put in Bay is off the shore of Port Clinton Oh the ratio of OSU fans to UM fans was probably 10:1 so most of the yelling was cheering. I ran into a bunch of UM fans wearing jerseys, hats, shirts, etc. that night. Most of them were shit faced drunk....of course, most people are shit faced drunk when they are over there!

Yeah Put out Bay is usually like that.

I was hosting my annual college football kickoff party at my condo during the App State debacle. During College Gameday, I remember trying to bet my friend that Michigan would win by 56 points. He wouldn't take the bet because he thought he'd lose without a doubt. Awesome.

Haven't posted in a bit, always enjoy the conversations you guys have. I was given a ticket that day in the student section... And I just remember saying to my friend, "ehh they'll get it going soon.." To "ehh they're a second half team" to "ehh this is odd..." "To ehhh what the fuck" to "hey look the game is now over and appy state student is now standing behind me in the student section singing their fight song". Don't know why I kept the ticket, but now I need to know what to do with the old one after the game is over. And the chipotle card will just help either way lol. Go blue

I don't know what you want to do with the ticket. either burn it or hold onto it in hopes it becomes valuable, and you can sell it to some App.St. or maybe ohio alumnus in a few decades.

Wow, that's nuts. Did you get the minivan because you brought your surfboard? Practical but not nearly as cool as if you rented a convertible - top down, suit and tie, board sticking up in passenger seat, making deals on your cell phone - very Hollywood.

Apparently there has been flooding in beachfront areas of LA from high tide last night.

Minivan ...heh, usually I get a Nissan Altima or something

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2014/8/27/6074457/the-horror

Posted today right in home oave of everyday should be Saturday with si cover and wll

I stopped reading at this line: "Jane: I was a junior at Michigan in 2007. I had hopped onto the bandwagon when Mario Manningham saved the day and probably Lloyd Carr?s life back in 2005" and I'm not sure if I should continue.

I jumped on the "bandwagon" when I was 8... and that's the first time I've heard a self-described Michigan fan refer to Michigan fandom as that.

I stopped reading at this line: "Jane: I was a junior at Michigan in 2007. I had hopped onto the bandwagon when Mario Manningham saved the day and probably Lloyd Carr?s life back in 2005" and I'm not sure if I should continue.

I jumped on the "bandwagon" when I was 8... and that's the first time I've heard a self-described Michigan fan refer to Michigan fandom as that.

Well, no true Michigan fan would say that.

The Jane person contradicts herself sometimes. "She jumped on the bandwagon' in a split moment, then she talks about the pre-game like she was a long time Michigan fan.

Maybe she's talking about the "Michigan is going to avoid disaster after all when all hope seemed lost" bandwagon.

That would make more sense.

Then she writes something about all her roommates that were doofuses that prided themselves in knowing nothing about sports, then she immediately starts talking about a roommate who was a sports editor at the Michigan Daily.

Hadn't read it that carefully but it is top story on that website

Just the title fit with thread title

I've already decided not to watch the first few minutes of Saturday's broadcast, because you know how it's going to open.

I've already decided not to watch the first few minutes of Saturday's broadcast, because you know how it's going to open.

One advantage of actually going to the game

Wonder what brandy and dierdord will say in radio

Back