Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Drew Sharp and assorted Spartan whiners

Hungry said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Yeah I get that part, you can bet on just about anything. But how does Vegas betting make money for the people who run the individual bowls?

Most bowls are on national tv and that brings with it advertisement money.

There was actually a piece done on HBO Real Sports (or maybe CNBC) earlier this year on the scandal surrounding the Fiesta Bowl committee and the kickbacks. Without being able to recall specifics, in reality, most bowls lose money or rather, can cost the schools involved money. Some examples were smaller bowls that would "hire" the school marching band for halftime, yet make the school pay the band's way, including having to buy tickets to the game. In other examples, the amount of money the Bowl committee's and members make is astounding. Some of these "Bowl Board members" take 6-figure payouts, rather than return the money to the schools or the ADs.

It was pretty disappointing and blunt.

It's all about the $$$$

MichChamp02 said:
When you consider that the Spartans wouldn't be complaining if they had managed to win the game, their "legitimate reasons for being upset" start to sound a lot more like basic whining that they didn't get their way.

screw off.

I think you're taking this more personal than the MSU fans are.

Hungry said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]

Of course it's the money - no Michigan fan isn't aware of this - but the BCS guys weren't creaming anything when MSU lost.

Becuause if MSU had won, they'd be going to the Rose Bowl, and M would still be going to the Sugar Bowl - nothing would have changed for the BCS guys, or for Michigan.

Anyway, MSU didn't qualify for a BCS invitation under the rules.

Now the only two influences in the final rankings rekated to Michigan - Coach Hoke's vote, and Lloyd Carr's vote in the Harris Poll - would have had Sparty qualifying, if those were the only elements that mattered.

Yeah, Tinsel. They're mad that COach Hoke voted Michigan 11th and MSU 13th, though. You know why? (imagine whiny voice) "Cause we beat them!!!!" (whiny voice over).

To that I respond, "Now that both teams have played an entire season and developed over the season, Coach Hoke believes that MIchigan would beat MSU on a neutral field." To which I have only received blank stares...

Not too hard to understand ( except you and your cronies ) why a team with the same amount of wins and a win heads up should be ranked higher. Especially when that team won the division. Keep trying to validate your position though, it's humorous. Judging by the amount of posts about MSU and the irate responses, I would say most of you know it.

erg57 said:
greenandwhite95 said:
He didn't call for a block, he is LYING to protect what his player did. Rarely do you see a return like Keyshawns on a blocked punt attempt. Bell was the only one that broke through. Tried to be a hero and became a goat.

Yer kidding, right? What is there to protect by lying? Coaches are better diplomats than that--theoretically. Now that's it's been a few days to cool off do you still believe this?

Well, when the punt returner brings the ball back to the one yard line and only a hand full of Spartans brought pressure I would say the Punt lock was not on. If you go go an all out block the punt returner is pretty much left helpless, he wasn't in this situation.

greenandwhite95 said:
Hungry said:
Yeah, Tinsel. They're mad that COach Hoke voted Michigan 11th and MSU 13th, though. You know why? (imagine whiny voice) "Cause we beat them!!!!" (whiny voice over).

To that I respond, "Now that both teams have played an entire season and developed over the season, Coach Hoke believes that MIchigan would beat MSU on a neutral field." To which I have only received blank stares...

Not too hard to understand ( except you and your cronies ) why a team with the same amount of wins and a win heads up should be ranked higher. Especially when that team won the division. Keep trying to validate your position though, it's humorous. Judging by the amount of posts about MSU and the irate responses, I would say most of you know it.

Not to hard to understand, except for us cronies...and a little over half the voters.

TheVictors03 said:
This is getting old.
You'd think our jobs (and their jobs) depended on us remaining willfully ignorant. I love this garbage. Not the over the top trolling. The inability for two sincere people to look at something and come to any sort of agreement on what happened. To me, this stuff translates well to other aspects of life. Learning about bias through sports is better than learning through more important aspects of life.

greenandwhite95 said:
erg57 said:
Yer kidding, right? What is there to protect by lying? Coaches are better diplomats than that--theoretically. Now that's it's been a few days to cool off do you still believe this?

Well, when the punt returner brings the ball back to the one yard line and only a hand full of Spartans brought pressure I would say the Punt lock was not on. If you go go an all out block the punt returner is pretty much left helpless, he wasn't in this situation.

Dantonio didn't say that he called for the all-out punt block. He said he caled for the punt block. THat could simply be telling the players that if you have the oppurtunity to block the kick, go for it. Its hard to tell whether or not he's lying, but considering his record, he probably is lying.

well, you're probably the smartest poster on the board, Red. for me, it becomes frustrating at a point -- like with my 5yr old son doing something at the dinner table. you politely ask him to stop, he continues. you ask him to stop again but he keeps doing it. so finally you raise your voice to make him stop.

1. The BCS selection show airs and the Bowl games are announced.
2. Sparty fan is pissy because they aren't going to a BCS Bowl game even though it was clear what was on the line in the B10 Title game
3. Michigan fan tries in vain, to *explain* how this has happened, because it has happened before
4. Sparty fan somehow takes this explanation to be Michigan fan scrambling to justify the Sugar Bowl invitation
5. Michigan fan repeats the same explanation again
6. Sparty fan starts complaining about the refs in the B10 Title game
7. Michigan fan shakes his head and laughs
8. Sparty fan accuses Michigan fan of being obsessed with Sparty and being guilt-ridden with the Sugar Bowl invitation
9. Michigan fan shakes his head and laughs

Yeah and since we're responding to threads on the MIchigan board, we must be obsessed and wrong.

Keep trying to validate your position though, it's humorous.

I don't have a vote in either the Harris or Coaches' Poll; and I also don't operate one of the six (or however many) computers that comprise the BCS equation.

I'm pretty sure nobody else here does either...

...does anyone?

Anyway, I don't have to validate anything.

Go talk to the pollsters or the computer guys about why Sparty isn't good enough to get a BCS bowl invitation.

TheVictors03 said:
well, you're probably the smartest poster on the board, Red. for me, it becomes frustrating at a point -- like with my 5yr old son doing something at the dinner table. you politely ask him to stop, he continues. you ask him to stop again but he keeps doing it. so finally you raise your voice to make him stop.

1. The BCS selection show airs and the Bowl games are announced.
2. Sparty fan is pissy because they aren't going to a BCS Bowl game even though it was clear what was on the line in the B10 Title game
3. Michigan fan tries in vain, to *explain* how this has happened, because it has happened before
4. Sparty fan somehow takes this explanation to be Michigan fan scrambling to justify the Sugar Bowl invitation
5. Michigan fan repeats the same explanation again
6. Sparty fan starts complaining about the refs in the B10 Title game
7. Michigan fan shakes his head and laughs
8. Sparty fan accuses Michigan fan of being obsessed with Sparty and being guilt-ridden with the Sugar Bowl invitation
9. Michigan fan shakes his head and laughs

Ahhhhh....that's good for the old ego! But I don't know that it's smarts, it might just be that technical writing is good practice for message boarding. I do believe that if we could measure a person's effort put into understanding football vs. achieved understanding of football, I'd rank near the bottom of the board.

As far as the tolerance goes...I think the big difference might be that I don't have any kids yet.

Red, Vic and I have both agreed that you're the smartest poster on the board.

And we would know, since we're numbers 2 and 3.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Red, Vic and I have both agreed that you're the smartest poster on the board.

he's good at math and stuff, but he has no street smarts.

he still falls for the old "wallet inspector" routine from time to time.

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]Red, Vic and I have both agreed that you're the smartest poster on the board.

Ha, ha, ha....

1.jpg

MichChamp02 said:
[color=#551A8B said:

I've had a couple faulty wallets confiscated. Good thing too. I don't even want to think what I might have lost if I had stuff falling out of my faulty wallet.

Back