Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Drew Sharp and assorted Spartan whiners

greenandwhite95 said:
Red and Guilty said:
I can definitely see that. State is having a great run right now and they don't have as much to show for it as you'd expect. I just think it has pretty much nothing to do with Michigan having more money or getting more respect. It can be worse though. 72-74 Michigan went 30-2-1 and went to 0 bowl games.

Yeah, 30-2-1 and no bowl would suck. Different times I guess. Now we have like 70 bowl teams which is ridiculous.

It did suck. Especially when the MSU AD cast a vote against Michigan in '73 to keep them home, strictly out of spite. Some might say "what would you expect?" I would answer: "Nothing less than that."

As long as the bowl games are revenue streams for the teams that go to them and for the sponsors, 6 wins will be what is required.

smayschmouthfootball said:
As long as the bowl games are revenue streams for the teams that go to them and for the sponsors, 6 wins will be what is required.

That's the thing, is the horseshoe bowl and busicutt bowl between two 6-6 teams making that much money?

When you consider that the Spartans wouldn't be complaining if they had managed to win the game, their "legitimate reasons for being upset" start to sound a lot more like basic whining that they didn't get their way.

screw off.

Vegas, baby ... Vegas.

You can gamble on CFB every night from 12/17 through mid-January. The Bowls are for betting, office pools, to have football to watch between NFL weekends and really for no other reason ....

oh, sorry, other than as a "reward" for the kids!

You know, the Music City Bowl and The Little Caesars Bowl ....

TheVictors03 said:
Vegas, baby ... Vegas.

You can gamble on CFB every night from 12/17 through mid-January. The Bowls are for betting, office pools, to have football to watch between NFL weekends and really for no other reason ....

Yeah I get that part, you can bet on just about anything. But how does Vegas betting make money for the people who run the individual bowls?

I finally broke down and forced myself to read the article. My comment:

------------------------------------------------------------------

[i:0mqyjkxp]

mhughes0021 said:
The fact you can sit your ass at home and pass a team you lost to because they lose a championship game is kinda bush league imo....and im more of a Wolverine fan than a spartan fan. BCS ranking should be locked after the regular season and not count the championship games. You cant have a system that hurts the teams that make it to the championship games and rewards those that dont lol...ud think that was common sense.

Bottom line is Mich will bring in a ton more money than if it was MSU so the BCS guys were creaming in their pants when MSU lost and they could turn to the wolverines.

so if the #1 team and/or the #2 team in the nation loses its conference championship game, you'd still want both in the title game?

Then if the #3 team or the #4 team won their conference title game, you don't think they should move ahead of a team that just lost a game?

I know this is a different scenario, but you can't freeze the bcs standings.

I don't see what the big deal is, to me, the Outback is just as good as the Sugar. It goes NC game, Rose, everything else...

mhughes0021 said:
The fact you can sit your ass at home and pass a team you lost to because they lose a championship game is kinda bush league imo....and im more of a Wolverine fan than a spartan fan. BCS ranking should be locked after the regular season and not count the championship games. You cant have a system that hurts the teams that make it to the championship games and rewards those that dont lol...ud think that was common sense.

Bottom line is Mich will bring in a ton more money than if it was MSU so the BCS guys were creaming in their pants when MSU lost and they could turn to the wolverines.

Nope, that's not the bottom line. MSU isn't top 14, so the BCS guys didn't pick Michigan over MSU. The computers, the ones that show no bias whatsoever, are what pushed MSU out of the top 14. Now if MSU was in the top 14 and Michigan was in the top 14 and then, the Sugar Bowl picked Michigan over MSU, then you might have a point, but that's not what happened.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
TheVictors03 said:
Vegas, baby ... Vegas.

Yeah I get that part, you can bet on just about anything. But how does Vegas betting make money for the people who run the individual bowls?

Most bowls are on national tv and that brings with it advertisement money.

[quote="GoBlueInAtlanta":12hymwfg]I finally broke down and forced myself to read the article. My comment:

------------------------------------------------------------------

[i:12hymwfg]

mhughes0021 said:

Of course it's the money - no Michigan fan isn't aware of this - but the BCS guys weren't creaming anything when MSU lost.

Becuause if MSU had won, they'd be going to the Rose Bowl, and M would still be going to the Sugar Bowl - nothing would have changed for the BCS guys, or for Michigan.

Anyway, MSU didn't qualify for a BCS invitation under the rules.

Now the only two influences in the final rankings rekated to Michigan - Coach Hoke's vote, and Lloyd Carr's vote in the Harris Poll - would have had Sparty qualifying, if those were the only elements that mattered.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]
mhughes0021 said:

Of course it's the money - no Michigan fan isn't aware of this - but the BCS guys weren't creaming anything when MSU lost.

Becuause if MSU had won, they'd be going to the Rose Bowl, and M would still be going to the Sugar Bowl - nothing would have changed for the BCS guys, or for Michigan.

Anyway, MSU didn't qualify for a BCS invitation under the rules.

Now the only two influences in the final rankings rekated to Michigan - Coach Hoke's vote, and Lloyd Carr's vote in the Harris Poll - would have had Sparty qualifying, if those were the only elements that mattered.

Yeah, Tinsel. They're mad that COach Hoke voted Michigan 11th and MSU 13th, though. You know why? (imagine whiny voice) "Cause we beat them!!!!" (whiny voice over).

To that I respond, "Now that both teams have played an entire season and developed over the season, Coach Hoke believes that MIchigan would beat MSU on a neutral field." To which I have only received blank stares...

Still qualifies for a BCS invite, and Floyd had them qualifying too (12th or something).

Anybody who is shocked -SHOCKED - that Michigan jumped the loser of the B1G Championship Game wasn't paying attention - everybody knew that was going to happen.

EDIT: If Hoke and Floyd had both ranked the Spartans #1 with their votes, it wouldn't have changed anything.

So worrying about a two slot difference on Hoke's ballot...I just say..."have fun in Florida...be sure to wear sun screen..."

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
smayschmouthfootball said:

That's the thing, is the horseshoe bowl and busicutt bowl between two 6-6 teams making that much money?

Good question that a venture capitalist can probably answer.

TheVictors03 said:
Vegas, baby ... Vegas.

I actually think that the Little Caesars bowl is viable and gets a lot of interest in Detroit every season. 60,000 attended CMU-Purdue a couple of years ago.

I found it funny that one of my state friends posted an article title "Spartans more deserving of BCS game than Michigan" and I thought it was funny and then just posted a bunch of stuff to refute the article and then said I am stubborn or w/e yet he wouldnt change his view either after I posted just as many good points about why UM should be in the BCS game

Its one of those things where a state fan on Saturday was "great game, man we were close" to today's its like "fk, we got jacked Fu Michigan". Lol.

greenandwhite95 said:
erg57 said:
dantonio has gotten off easy on this to date. That was as JLS ish a coaching decision Ive seen since...JLS...or mornhinweg

He didn't call for a block, he is LYING to protect what his player did. Rarely do you see a return like Keyshawns on a blocked punt attempt. Bell was the only one that broke through. Tried to be a hero and became a goat.

Yer kidding, right? What is there to protect by lying? Coaches are better diplomats than that--theoretically. Now that's it's been a few days to cool off do you still believe this?

Back